• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new style light switch install.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
I have a new style light switch I want to try out in the deuce. Are there any specific do's and don'ts for the install?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Yeah.....don't install it rofl

ida34

Disconnect the batteries. Then install making sure the extra ground wire is disconnected. Reconnect the batteries. You do not want to connect power to the switch without the extra ground connected. Plugging in the plug with the batteries connected will power the switch no matter what position the main power switch or headlight switch is in.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My pushbutton switch works flawlessly. All I did was plug it in and ground it. Ron, you need me to scare you up a 3 lever switch?

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I too have heard of these switches failing. Has there been any improvements? Or are you running on borrowed time untill they quit?

ktm380

I was told that the one I have is a new style. It was well grounded but it let me down just after I took the old one out of the glove box. Used it for about four months (mostly daytime, no headlights) then 20 min. into a nighttime drive at a stop light I went dark!! Had to have the wife find and deliver the old one.

mendo069

i just got won off ebay.. it looks cool, but thats about it.. palladin ice, on ebay still has not returned any email or money as he said he would... switch never worked.... carry spare, "old one", just in case...

I just installed one in my M818 and the front parking lights and dash lights are on. They don't turn off and nothing else comes on. All lights worked fine with the old switch. I didn't know I needed to disconect the batteries could this have done it?

70deuce

Gounding this thing is critical. Without correctly grounding it, IT WILL FAIL. It must be grounded with a separate wire, not the body of the switch. They have a screw terminal on the back.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where is the best place to ground the switch? Just behind the dash some where ?
On the deuce, the batteries are grounded to the frame. Ground connections from that point on depend on additional ground straps and star washer/bolt connections to each lamp or device using the 24 volts. The instrument panel relies on the 1/4 turn fasteners for its ground, for example.
If you want a good ground, run a separate wire directly to the battery NEG terminal. This wire may be labeled #57 (ground wire directly to battery on the m656/xm757 series trucks).

IMHO, the pushbutton light switch, being an electronic device, should have its own on/off switch, so that it can be turned off when the engine is started, just like the radios would be. Notice how the radio on your POV is automatically turned off when cranking. There is a reason for this...

Rolling_Eudaimonia

I like the old style better myself, I think it fits overall vintage aesthetic look of the truck. I would keep the old style one only because well parts for a M35 aren't exactly a NAPA trip way!

Boatcarpenter

Not being from the push-button generation (video games, remotes, text messaging etc.), I like the old style switch. I'm much better with mechanical stuff. Can operate the 3 lever switch in the dark with one hand without even looking at it. Besides, I think it is a wonderfully clever device.
BC