• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New ticking noise- 1970 m109a3

BadMastard

There is a small noise coming from the top of my engine - ldt 465. If it was a gas engine I'd swear it was a exhaust leak. not apparent at start up, picks up a little volume when warm, and on a hot restart slightly louder without oil pressure.

I searched the TM's, but didn't find anything that could describe this noise. Any ideas?

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, I disconnected the optional self destruct timer when I installed the new nitrous system. Seemed redundant at that point.

Thank goodness !

Another MV Dis-A$$-Turd averted....

.... Don'tchya just LUV a useful thread?

Now back to reality:
- - - - > Hope your diagnosis and corrective action are all "routine".

RANDYDIRT

There is a small noise coming from the top of my engine - ldt 465. If it was a gas engine I'd swear it was a exhaust leak. not apparent at start up, picks up a little volume when warm, and on a hot restart slightly louder without oil pressure.

I searched the TM's, but didn't find anything that could describe this noise. Any ideas?
Sounds almost like a rod bearing, they get louder the warmer the engine. I've had rod bearings spin and make a tack-tack noise but it got quickly and continually worse with time. How's the oil pressure?

Dirt

BadMastard

Hello! I enjoyed a brief vacation, and am now back to work on the truck. I've started the truck a couple of times to keep the juices flowing, and added a quart of Marvel mystery oil to the oil. Here's the scoop.

The noise is reduced at the moment, almost gone on startup. When the oil pressure hits after startup, it's drops a little. Once the motor is warmed up, with normal operating temp on the engine, the oil pressure goes from 60 t0 about 45-50, still within specs. Once that happens, the noise is slightly louder, but no where near where it was. One my diesel mechanic experts thought it might be a sticky valve, and that the mystery oil (or tranny fluid if I had any) would loosen it up, and it appears he may be correct.

I'm going to pull the valve covers off this week and take a look. Also, when you ask about one of the injectors being "loose" are you speaking of something internal to the injector, or simply worked it self loose at the attach point?

btw, thank you everyone for you assistance so far. I love reading the TM's, but a friendly voice of experience is invaluable.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
im with gimp. if you have a good oil pressure.... valves are a good place to start. if anything, a good starting point for PM. when i adjusted my valves, i had 3 valves that were tight.

BadMastard

Well, it's time to put this one to bed. It sounded like an exhaust leak because it was an exhaust leak. Just wasn't on the exhaust manifold. It was leaking out the head gasket at the dead center of the back of engine on cylinder number 6.

One valve grind kit later, and 20 hours of wrenching, there is no longer an exhaust leak, then engine is clean, and the valves are properly adjusted, lots of form a gasket removed from engine, and wow does it run smooth! I mean WOW DOES IT RUN SMOOTH! It was fast before, but now it sounds good at idle too!

Oh, while I was at it, I bobbed it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks