• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new to 5 ton trucks need some advice

warwagon99

i have seen some of these dump trucks on line and was wondering how they do on the road in comparson to a bobtail or tandom truck on the road hauling on the pavement all day. i do concrete demo so these dump trucks could get a workout and driven about 100 miles a day i think the truck i want is a 817 with 53 xml and and a wench the ones i really liked were on the oshkosh equipment llc page and they said about 25000 for that truck what do you pros think. like i said im new with these trucks and all the info i can get will be greatly appreciated i just dont want to buy tow of them if they are not dependable for every day use
thank you josh

jwaller

if you are seriously going to work them hard and drive 100 miles a day loaded I would shy away from the big tires. it's going to kill your top speed. the NHC250 just doesnt have the umph to push the truck loaded down the road at any speed. the stock tires will be much better for a truck that sees constant intended use.

dont waste your $ on a Oshkosh rebuild. do it yourself and save the $$$.

emr

These are tactical trucks, they are not highway trucks, and require service at much closer intervals, the tires on these trucks big or regular sizes if military treads will be bald fast and u will be unhappy, Do U know why every other contractor does not use them? they have been around since WW2, they require alot of maintenance, they are fatiging to drive, there are awesome also. U are coming to a site of hobbiest that have spent YEARS putting together and sharing info, I have heard it said and agree, that people wanting all the info they need with out introducing themselves first,I mean just asking for all that knowledge up front, This site takes donations to stay alive, I for one would like to see people who just want free info to be fair enough to ask what this site is about first and what would the polite way to get such info first, As a hobby these trucks are part of the American history that most of us think represent the true American Hero, the American Soldier, as for working these trucks, thats fine too, But what U are asking to learn is already in many many other posts in the links here, look up the truck size and read the posts all of them ...Randy

supermechanic

From experience, driving a military dump 100 miles a day,day in and out, will make you ;
1) deaf
2) saddle sore
3) parking brake handle shy (this one takes some explaining)

Over the road, the better deal would be to get an old mack or an autocar, same money,easier to get parts for, more trips per day.
I like my M-51, little kids think it's cool, and vets give me thumbs up.
There is a place for every thing, tactical trucks belong in tactical situations,
(or in my side yard , waiting for a firewood run, or snow to plow).
A commercial truck would die a very quick death in off road use, where these rigs shine is their ability to turn a load quickly and do it again, and again,ect.
If you intend to make a living doing hauling, a military dump may be enough to get you started, but I would not do so myself.
Just my two cents, other opinions may differ, the opinion you get today may not reflect the actual situation,as your situation may vary, not to be combined with any other offers.

poppop

I have a five ton dump I use on the farm. I enjoy driving it to do hauling on the farm. I sell fill dirt also, for which I use two Mack dump trucks. They carry twice the payload with much more speed and comfort.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I agree that tactical trucks can not hold a candle to the commercial cousins that work in industry. Take a look at the dump the engineers used for years it was a commercial International because it had to operate continually hauling rock and hot top supporting construction. The five ton dumps were used in forward units to build protective burms and haul damaged infrastructure in the combat zone.

CGarbee

The folks at Lamont Landfill (Fort Bragg) really love thier International Paystar MDL5070's... They snagged several that the NCANG was turning in, swapped out the rims and tires for single piece Alcoa's with Goodyear rubber and run the snot out of them... As Armyman says, they are the dump to get if you want a military surplus rig that you are going to burn up the road in: Cummins 290hp straight six, Jake Brake, automatic, rear wheel drive, rated at 20 tons capacity.

Not one of the Bragg trucks (phtos of them are on my home computer) but one that I snagged of the internet so you can visualize the rig...

I have seen these for sale from GL as well as GSA in steady small numbers ove the last couple of years...

Attachments

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are a bunch of these at the GL yard at Letterkenny. I suspect they'll show up on the site within a month or so. I was there when they were off-loading into DRMO lot about 2 months ago. Just an FYI

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You'd better figure on $10K plus for a reasonable looking truck. That is the auction price and none of the trucks that I've seen indicated that they ran. They probably did, but there is no guarantee. Figure that in when you bid.