• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to 5 ton what is the model of this one

fasttruck

White smoke when running ? This may indicate coolant leaking into the combustion chamber and being burned with the fuel. Take the cap off the expansion tank and see if the engine is blowing bubbles within which would suggest a blown head gasket.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's quite a bit of white smoke, what does it smell like? It could be a stuck injector, low compression on one or more cylinders, or head/head gasket issues. I'd start with the basics and check coolant and oil for signs of contamination and track from there. You can run the engine with the coolant cap off and watch for bubbles if it's a bad head/head gasket. If you keep it idling listen for a miss or if it warms up use a temp gun to check cylinder temps for a "dead" cylinder which could be anything from stuck injector to bad piston rings/liner/etc. You can always send the injectors out to get them pop tested and calibrated too. More advanced steps would be compression testing cylinders and pressure testing the cooling system but only after the mentioned above steps.

It sounds good in the video when running high but I couldn't tell if there was something rattling around at low idle or it was the echo off the metal building.

Phil P

Hello all

I am back with a new problem.

The truck has been doing quite well even if it does get stuck a lot.

The power steering belts failed and the pieces went thru the fan drive belts so I need to change all 4 belts.

Can someone give me the part number for these belts?

2 power steering belts and 2 fan drive belts.

Napa numbers would be the best for me but anything that can be cross referenced.

Phil P

Phil P

Hi

Thanks I forgot about that.

It is a Cummings 250 no turbo.

Here is the picture I have of the data tag.

Note the date of manufacturer 4-84.

If practical I would like to obtain the part numbers of all the belts in Napa or CARQUEST part numbers or any of the common belt manufacturers.

Phil P

Attachments

fasttruck

The parts book for the 939 series truck is available on this site. You can look it up yourself which will yield a NSN which most auto parts stores can translate into a Gates or whatever number.

Phil P

Thanks for that but I have the parts book and came up with the same number.

However so far neither NAPA nor Advance has been able to cross reference those numbers.

I haven’t tried O’Reilly auto parts yet.

I ran out of time yesterday so will try them tomorrow.

I found a company on the internet call ADparts or something like that that crossed the fan belts to a Dayco number but couldn’t do anything with the other numbers.

Phil P

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Everything you need is here.

Phil P

Hello All

Now I have a new problem again.

This truck will start cold and run until it reaches normal temperatures then it shuts off.

It will start back up but requires some more cranking time than normal but will run again for about 10 min and do it again.

I have pressure tested the system looking for what would be an air leak in the fuel line and filter between the tank and the injection pump.

No leaks so I put a clear jar on the return line and ran the truck. The return fuel will run a full stream for a couple of minutes then I get some bubbles then a full stream for a few min etc.

Does anyone have any idea what may be the problem?

Thanks

Phil P

Phil P

Hi

FER: M929

I have a question.

Someone told me there was a kit to replace the fuel filter with a “spin on” fuel filter.

Can any one give me a part number and source for this.

Thanks

Phil P

fasttruck

What engine do you have ? If it is a NH250 Fleetguard offers such an adapter as Adaptor Kit #2, N 3300923 Ought to be available either on line someplace or from a big truck dealer or parts house or a Cummins dealer in your area. I got mine from the Cummins dealer in Phoenix.

Phil P

What engine do you have ? If it is a NH250 Fleetguard offers such an adapter as Adaptor Kit #2, N 3300923 Ought to be available either on line someplace or from a big truck dealer or parts house or a Cummins dealer in your area. I got mine from the Cummins dealer in Phoenix.

Thanks

By the data tag I have the NHC250.

Phil P

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello All

Now I have a new problem again.

This truck will start cold and run until it reaches normal temperatures then it shuts off.

It will start back up but requires some more cranking time than normal but will run again for about 10 min and do it again.

I have pressure tested the system looking for what would be an air leak in the fuel line and filter between the tank and the injection pump.

No leaks so I put a clear jar on the return line and ran the truck. The return fuel will run a full stream for a couple of minutes then I get some bubbles then a full stream for a few min etc.

Does anyone have any idea what may be the problem?

Thanks

Phil P
Bubbles are generally a sign of air getting into the fuel system. Sounds like something is just a smidgen loose and opens up as it gets warm, allowing air into the system. Check all the fuel lines and connectors when it is warmed up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks