• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to CUCVs and need help deciding

chesapeake

I am new to the world of cucvs. I am looking for either a M1008 or M1028. I have found plenty of both in the same condition and within a few $100's of each other. I have been on this forum day and night for about a month now. I am pretty sure I am more confused than when I started lol. I have a couple of questions ( I have searched, but I need a little more help). I don't offroad, I use trucks around the farm so FWD's info alludes me a little.

Basically the M1028 has and overload spring and different front differentials and everything else is the same?!?!

Both have positive traction rear diffs. (both wheels are turned at the same rate even if there is slippage?! Like a drag car)

With an LSD only one wheel is given power until there is slippage?!

If the M1028 has a front diff with LSD, what does the M1008 have?

I always thought that once you locked your hubs (on trucks that have manual locking hubs) and put it in FWD, it acted as a positive traction. Not like todays trucks where one front and one rear tire pulls in FWD until there is slippage?

Why is the M10028 a better offroad vehicle than the M1008

jsgmdiesel

M1028-LSD front, Detroit locker rear and 9,200 GVWR. M1008 has an open front diff, same Detroit locker in rear. does not have the extra helper spring on rear spring pack thus the GVWR is less something like 8500 or 8600. Without trying to be more confusing, everything else is essentially the same. The Detroit locker has cogs so once one wheel slips the cogs lock together and both wheels spin regardless of which has more traction. When you coast thru a corner the locker separates and allows the outer tire to turn faster than the inner. The front LSD has a clutchpack that supplies traction to both wheels up to a certain point. Because the M1028 has an LSD front vs the open front in a M1008 is what makes it a better offroad machine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks