• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new to forum, new to CUCV

staley86

hello all, i just picked up a 86 M1009! it cost me $500 because the starter was out, well i swapped that out and got it running yesterday. basically i am looking for suggestions on how to refesh the motor and suspension, switch it to 12volt, find a place to get a new rear roof with the glass that lifts up etc. im new to forums, so im still getting used to navigating. any advice pointers on the vehicle/forum are greatly appriecated! thanks, chris

Bobert

That sounds like a good deal. Did you swap in a regular 12v starter?
I have never seen a blazer topper where the glass flips up.

There is a lot of info on this site you can usually use the search to find most of it.

Here are some good instructions for converting it to 12v. You may have to right click and save target.

Attachments

staley86

thanks for the input, i want to ****ch to 12v because im used to regular vehicle on 12v, it seems like it would be easier to work on, but im not too sure. what are the pros/cons to switching to 12v?

Stihl029

stay with the standard wiring, so that when you go through the manuals it is easier and others on the site can help you out as well. just my 2 cents

91W350

How many miles does your new passion have on it? The 6.2 is a fairly long life engine if well maintained. The suspension was pretty decent too, not saying you cannot improve it, but it was a pretty nicely balanced package as it was issued. Everything is simple and easy to work on, very strong, possibly a little under powered.... nice and smooth though and like a lot of the military rides, they got by on gear reduction.

staley86

thanks everyone, that link was very helpful. I need to do all the fluid changes here soon. as for the cucv, the speedo says 14,xxx but it doesnt work. im assuming its just a speedo cable but not too sure. the brakes feel very spongy, the steering seems pretty loose and the suspension is worn out. ive got alot of work ahead of me, but a project vehicle was what i was looking for, to occupy my time and keep me out of trouble:twisted: