• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new to forum. quick question.

dhambley

hello everyone, im new to the forum and i have a question.
I Cant find a diesel torque converter for the th400 the six bolt one.
i was wondering if it was possible to use a three bolt torque converter out of a gas th400 as a temporary tactic?
thank you.

ammuscle

I replaced mine with the three bolt one. My mechanic who's very experienced in gm transmission rebuilds said it should be just as good.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do not use a gasser converter in a diesel. It will work but you will be very disappointed. The stall speed for each is different.

A three bolt will work fine.

dhambley

So a gasser 3 bolt tc will work just run like s***? right now im just trying to get the thing moving again. thanks for the input.

ammuscle

So a gasser 3 bolt tc will work just run like s***? right now im just trying to get the thing moving again. thanks for the input.
Well i can tell you that my 6 bolt was replaced with the 3 bolt almost a full year ago and it has worked just fine so far. That being said, knowing my luck it will go out tomorrow. But so far i haven't seen a lack in performance or shift quality.

So would I be further confusing this or clarifying by saying that there are two types of 3 bolt tc's? The gasser one and the diesel one? From what I'm drawing from here and from my own knowledge, the tc's used to be 6 bolt, were changed to 3 bolt, but still have both gasser and diesel versions available. Am I right?... I know that my Grandpa's 6.2 truck has a 3 bolt tc but it also has a 700r4.

nyoffroad

Lots of different T/C's just cause it fits don't mean it will work correctly. A gasser TC will work BUT will be very slow taking off (yeah even slower than normal) because it starts to lock at a higher RPM than a diesel.
I was told and don't know how true this is but the hash marks on the outer shell of the TC tell what RPM.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The lockup speed on a diesel torque converter is around 1600 rpm. A gasser TC can range anywhere from 2400-4500 rpm. If you want to blow up your engine then go for it.

Dhambley, look at my most recent post, store, part number, specs, and I did look up and confirm that there are Autozones in Arkansas... Looking at what Warthog said, it is the right one (and still 6 bolt). And if you are wondering, Autozone is a fine place, they have treated me and my family well and had good prices/quality.

Skinny

The difference is stall speed which has to do with the pitch on the turbine and impeller fins inside. It also depends on the engine size/power as the same converter will stall at a higher speed from a small block to big block V8. The gas version is typically a tick higher in stall speed. It will more than likely rev past it's powerband during acceleration and make the transmission feel "loose" while cruisin down the road.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks