• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to forum w/ M108

submmbob

Hello all

I just picked up a 1953 Studebaker built M108. Still has the gasser REO 0A-331. Was use by a local aviation outfit since 1982 as a crane/tug. It had been sitting for a number of years and they recently got it running again. Engine runs fairly well and we got the brakes up today. Going to have all the rear tires changed out next week so I can drive it back to the property where I work.

I volunteer for an non-profit outfit that preserves and restores historic streetcars and buses here in Tucson, AZ. It will be used around the property as a tug/service truck. It will be registered and insured so I also plan on taking it off the property on occasion.

No battery for my camera right now so I will have to wait to post pics.

Been doing a bit of research on the forum the last week and it has been very helpful. Looking forward to interacting here regularly.

Bob

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The "mini-wrecker" is probably not "rare" but unmolested nice examples are likely not easy to find. Welcome and you have one of the trucks I would like to add to my motorpool!

submmbob

Hello all

Well I dropped off the tires last Tuesday morning and hired a father/son team to change them out. The 11.00X20's were a but larger than I expected, but the guys at Jack's Surplus assured me they would fit. It took them about 3 hours to change out all rear 8 w/ new tubes and flaps.

Once they were done, we added some gas to the tank and stowed the crane. Then my friend Bruce followed me w/ his pickup on the ~10 mile trip back to the barn. The truck drove better than I expected (I haven't driven one of these since I was in the navy almost 30 yrs ago). Bruce said at one point I was up to 35 mph. I took it slow and in the right lane since this was prob the longest trip the truck has seen in at least 16 years. Once we got back to the barn and I shut down and chocked the truck, one of the new tubes let go. I called the tire guys and they came right over and fixed it. They said they didn't see anything obvious that was wrong and thought it might be a bad tube. Less than 45min after they left another one let go. Since I was headed back to work the next day and the truck was just going to sit for a week, I decided to call them later. They had a long, hot day and my truck wasn't their only job.

I cleaned out the cab a bit and took a peak in the toolboxes on the bed. Will try and go thru them next week. Overall, I am very happy w/ the truck. The engine runs well and once I got used to it, the transmission shifted ok. All the lights work except the brake lights (I think the switch is disconnected). Need to look at the air pressure and fuel gauge as well. A new muffler is in order as well.

I think the truck might have been an airport service vehicle before the aviation outfit I bought it from got it from Jack's in 1982. The crane, bed, inside the cab, and under the fenders is yellow. At some point someone painted then outside of the cab tan.

Have a new battery for my camera coming so I should be able to post some pics soon.

Bob

submmbob

The tire guys came back and fixed the other tube today. Also heard that the battery for my camera was delivered today so I should be able to post some pics soon.

I also realized I think I might know what is wrong w/ the fuel gauge. The previous owners had removed the tank to seal it, and I'm guessing they didn't hook up the sender wires. Hopefully that should be an easy one.

submmbob

Finally, here's some pics:

View attachment 732585

41183825220_5ab8a9eab8_c.jpg

42092407035_5ee358508a_c.jpg

Just ordered a master cylinder rebuild kit from Memphis. The brakes are working ok, but leak down over time. The outfit I got it from rebuilt the air pac but couldn't remember the last time the master cylinder was rebuilt/replaced.

Also ordered a copy of the maintenance manual circa 1952 from someone who is here in AZ (Wickenburg).

Bob

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good. Welcome to the m108 club. Not to many around. If you need a data plate let me know i came across a few NOS ones. What’s your serial number? Mine is m-33503. All I have seen are 1953 studebakers

submmbob

Took the 'deuce down to the gas station following one of our donated cars that we just got running and needed gas. Took a student w/ me that is going into the Marine Corps soon. He asked me what the transfer gas lever was for when we got back to the yard so I put it in low. He was impressed.

The '52 manual arrived today. Nice copy and helpful that I don't have to sort thru all the multi-fuel stuff.

Master cylinder kit should arrive tomorrow.

Will check out the number when I get a chance.

Bob

submmbob

Got the master cylinder kit on Saturday and took the old cylinder out. The piston was partially stuck which I think was causing a lot of my issues, plus it was leaking. The cylinder honed out fairly well. I put it back in last night and bled the brakes w/ a couple of our summer students today. We now have a pretty good pedal. Hooked up the brake light switch, but still no brake lights so a new switch is on order.

Showed one of the students who has never driven a stick how to back the truck out of the barn. I told her it was an easy vehicle to learn on because in low you can pretty much pop the clutch and the truck just stares at you:) She was a bit nervous, but did fine. I did give some help w/ the wheel when turning while stopped:) I actually like the manual steering on that truck, but I can see where a lot of people used to power steering are intimidated by it.

Bob

submmbob

Used the deuce to pull out one of the donated vehicles. Pushed it into the barn so we could pull the engine. Since the engine hoist has been borrowed, we used the crane to pull the short block. Probably not the first time this truck has been used to pull an engine out of a jeep, but most likely not of this type ('87 Commanche P/U).

Brake light switch is not coming in until Wed. Will also look into a new turn signal switch. The older aftermarket unit broke off in my hand:)

Oh, and the student who I taught to drive the deuce is going to take the M880 cab and chassis off my hands.

Bob

AZK9

Welcome from a bit on up the road in the Central Highlands! [thumbzup]

Nice pics! Nice vehicle! Have fun with it!! :grin:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks