• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to Gensets with a question...

llong66

I found at auction a MILITARY DIESEL GENERATOR 2 cyl ONAN Air Cooled with original Military Trailer.
The description is as follows:

new rebuilt starter, new cables, Two new rebuilt batterys, I have 2 new oil filters that come with it, 7.5kw but can be converted to 10kw or 12kw for $300 dollars if you need more voltage, this is a 3 phase but can be used for 120volt or 240volt, it has both plugins for the diffents voltages and can be wired direct to your home, it will power your home unless you use an Electric Heat Pump, then you would need only to run the heat pump without any other appliances running, but if you upgrade you can run everything at once,

The owner is asking $2500 for the unit w the trailer. I am new to gensets and the thing that worries me is it says its 3 phase but can be used for 120 or 240. I thought without some major work, they were either one or the other.
The NSN is 6115--00-465-1044

A quick look through some TMs looks like it might have had 2 heads at one time, it talks about it in terms of an 8002a, below is a pic of the data plate for the unit for sale:

Thanks much for any help/advise/warnings!
data plate.jpgGreg

Last edited:

R Racing

Sounds like a mep-002a . Not sure how he thinks it could convert to 10k or 12k ?? they are good gens. A bit loud. But are easy to work On. i have the same set up as a portable deal to help out friends.

dangier

Your picture shows a 1982 002A. The first question I would have, are they running and producing power? Sounds a bit pricey if more work is needed. Weak point is the fuel system if they have been sitting. Excellent units-I have two of them. Rated by military at 5000 watts, but can produce 7,500 watts easily in good operating condition. Voltage is switchable on front panel without cost as built for single phase 120/240, 120 only, or 3 phase 120/208. I have run my house with load management with them. Not for tandem running (one or the other only). Correct TM's are available on this site. Do not know about rebuilt batteries though...
David

Last edited:

dependable

Says 002a on the tag. The one with 2 heads is an 003a, the 002's 'big brother', that will make 10-12KW, but you can not convert the 002 to an 003. Have seen an auction site seller listing 002s as 802s before. Not sure what is up with that, and the misinformation about the 003. Either they don't know what they are doing or are being misleading.

If it is working, there is a reconnection switch that switches from 3 phase to 1 phase. Would not pay big money unless I saw it run and make power. If your going to buy without seeing it run, might as well get it from GL cheaper.

cjcottrill

That appears to be the same listing I have seen on my local Craigslist. He has lowered his asking price to 1650. It is clear by his comments that he is not familiar with the equipment, look it over really well from top to bottom, load test it if you can, be aware that it will not run your house, only selected circuits.

jamawieb

I don't believe the seller knows what he is talking about and I think he is asking to much. Do you know how many hours are on it? A good running unit should be from $1000-$2000. Example: I have one with 1684 hours that I'm selling for $1400 and then I have a 2005 reset unit with 18hours for $1950. I hope this helps for a comparison.

Ray70

Wow! you can convert an 002A to 12K for $300? Sign me up for 3 conversion kits! :cookoo:
I like the "if you need more voltage" line...
Ever hear the line "Yea, 220, 221 what ever it takes"??
In all seriousness, they are great machines and will put out more power and outlast any big box 7500W unit, but unless you can hear it run and load test it I wouldn't pay $1650, even with the trailer.
Probably more like $1000 or less if you can't see it run, and that's only because you get a trailer.
Got any other pictures of it?

cuad4u

I have refurbished and sold around 25 MEP 002A and 003A generators. My refurbishment includes new oil, new oil filter, 2 new fuel filters, new air filter if needed, cleaning fuel pump strainers, cleaning the fuel tank, a complete check-out and adjustment or repair or replacement of glow plugs and all operating and safety shutdown devices, paint touch-up as needed, followed by at least one hour load test at 125% rated capacity. Each generator is sold with a copy of the military TM and a 30 day money back guarantee. I have been sold out for the past six months and cannot find any more within a reasonable driving distance. When I had them I got $1095 for an 002A and $1995 for an 003A.

rustystud

I'd be very careful about buying this unit from this guy. He sounds like a "snake oil" salesman. Just like all the other comments have said, try and hear it run. I have two myself and they run great. They can almost power my whole house. In fact the last 4 outages we had I just used the MEP-002A. You just have to be careful what you turn on (heavy appliances) at the same time. The fuel system is the "Achilles Heel" of this machine. Make sure the tank is clean and has no leaks. Make sure the fuel lines are OK. Usually their in bad condition and need replacing (extremely hard) . Also check the fuel pumps and filters. You can twist off the bottom of the pump to access the filters. There can be a lot of crud and rust there. Next I'd check the power distribution box for any wire problems (rodents) and any loose connections and shorting. Also open the gauge box and check for any problems. The only way to check the other stuff is to have it running. Check oil pressure, engine smoke (color and smell) . Take a mechanic friend along with you and have him evaluate it. That's about the best I can do here being several thousands miles away.

Chainbreaker

$2,500 for a 1982 seems overpriced to me. Remember asking price vs actual selling price are two different things. I just recently bought a 1991 MEP-002a on a M116a2 trailer that was advertised for $2,500 for $1,300 after my pre-purchase inspection and haggling was completed. Then to top that I bought a 2006 rebuild MEP-002 for less than $250 (no trailer). These were West Coast prices mind you.

I would say take a look at it but don't pay more than YOU think it is actually worth to you in running/tested condition. In addition to what RustyStud and others say to look for, I would strongly recommend that you bring along a Kill-a-Watt meter on an extension cord to plug into the convenience outlet to verify it will hold 60 Hz and 120 Volts. The AC voltage regulator boards on these units are known to go bad if anyone has idled the unit significantly below 1800 RPM for very long.

If necessary you must be willing to walk, or run, from a bad deal but in the end only you can determine that. If in doubt after seeing it, stall the guy and get back to us with your findings. We are only a few keystrokes away!