• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to looking for a HMMWV and a few questions

kevin101

I'm new to this site and I'm really liking the forums and all the information posted. I thank you all for that.

I've been looking at the auction site and I've made a few lowball bids just to see it I could pick up one relatively cheap but I'm wondering something, if I pick up a 2 man model and turn it into a 4 man, other than seats and doors, what else will I need?

I'm thinking C pillar as well as seat belts but what else other than the fluids and full mechanical stuff will I need?

Thank you for any replies.

FYI, I'm in Upstate NY if anyone lives around me

donquijote

get a 4 door soft top kit. That will include the strikers, c pillar, top, doors, bolts... everything you need as far as that.

Sent from my SM-N915P using Tapatalk

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look at the prices for those four-man kits, you might find it cheaper to buy one in four-man configuration depending on your bid ceiling
Bulldogger

kevin101

I haven't found any kits yet but I'm not going to actually buy anything until or if I win an auction. I found some C pillars on Ebay but the shipping cost sucked but that's not surprising. My goal is to get a 4 man model but I'm going to wait and see what happens. One of my coworkers was a mechanic in the Army and he's offered to help me when I get one.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Even if you win a 4 man with top, a lot of the doors are torn up already. So you will end up buying doors and maybe a top anyway. I don't buy a truck based on its setup, I buy based on miles and overall condition, 4man, 2 man, tops or no tops and doors...that's all add on stuff, the condition of the truck is more important.

Bdhminnesota

RWH, what do you consider too high of mileage? I would think the more miles the better it was taken care of and serviced?

kevin101

That's why I've asked what would be needed to make it a 4 man. I'm most concerned with mechanical issues. I'm just trying to line up the ducks so to speak.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RWH, what do you consider too high of mileage? I would think the more miles the better it was taken care of and serviced?

Odometers mean nothing in the military.....if you wanted to buy a truck from me, I could ask you "how many miles do you want the speedo to say" I have boxes of NOS speedos, they are changed out like toilet paper. You have no idea what they did at the reset yard or unit.
Due diligence....check the pics, that's all you can do...and the report provided by GP.
unless you can go see it and drive it...it's a crap shoot like anything else.
If it's any consolation, it's a whole lot better then dealing with Gov Liq.
bid, buy...be happy. But please....don't expect a speed demon, quiet and cool ride, these are tactical vehicles designed for 18yr olds..they are slow, loud, uncomfortable and hot....ENJOY! I have for 30yrs.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
they are almost all "one owner" vehicles. Taken care of? Ask for a folder will all service records before you bid and see what they say.

Your not going get the life long service history of a truck...maybe you will get the turn in paper work, maybe some 2404's.
thats all historical info possibly maintained TACOM...not sure how it's done on rolling stock, I was in aviation, that I can get the life service history of the aircraft.
i have had many truck come with the turn in paper work, that's BS too, they assign a dollar figure to fix an item like a leak, replace engine...$15k, value exceeds vehicle value...turn it in...actual problem, loose hose clamp.
its hilarious....I got an m931a2 that said the entire hyd system needed replacing due to a leak, I found the hose connector on the hyd reservoir finger loose.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm new to this site and I'm really liking the forums and all the information posted. I thank you all for that.

I've been looking at the auction site and I've made a few lowball bids just to see it I could pick up one relatively cheap but I'm wondering something, if I pick up a 2 man model and turn it into a 4 man, other than seats and doors, what else will I need?

I'm thinking C pillar as well as seat belts but what else other than the fluids and full mechanical stuff will I need?

Thank you for any replies.

FYI, I'm in Upstate NY if anyone lives around me
Welcome to SS. Keep in mind that if you buy one now you pay for it at the end of the auction and you likely won't actually take possession of it until the EUC clears which will probably be around christmas or after new years . Then there will also be a long wait for the SF-97 Form after you pick it up. So if you are looking to put out the money and play with it right away buy one in a private sale . And be sure to read this thread ( it might take till christmas to read all the way through it).
[h=1]EUCs from recent GovPlanet Auctions[/h]

kevin101

Welcome to SS. Keep in mind that if you buy one now you pay for it at the end of the auction and you likely won't actually take possession of it until the EUC clears which will probably be around christmas or after new years . Then there will also be a long wait for the SF-97 Form after you pick it up. So if you are looking to put out the money and play with it right away buy one in a private sale . And be sure to read this thread ( it might take till christmas to read all the way through it).
EUCs from recent GovPlanet Auctions
I'm well aware. And I've been taking lots of notes.

kfrosty

Just be patient, you can get 4-mans as cheap as 2 mans. Of course if you get a 2 man, you may not change it. The first one I purchase is a two man and I like it as a 2 man.

kevin101

I just called a buddy who works at the local PD. They have 2 of them. He's going to let me go play with them later today. I just need a sense of the size to get a better idea of where I'm going to park one and what they're like inside. I'm not ex-military due to diabetes so I have no real experience with them.