• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new to m1009 can i tow another with it?

hfmt93

I have dreams of grander with my new m1009 and cant help but look at it with m1028 axles under it.

Redstone arsenal is not far and there are always 1028's on there (Or is that just this month?)

Could i borrow my buddys 2 axle trailer (w/o brakes) and tow a m1028 or m1008 home or would the m1009 not do it?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd avoid that like the Mexican Flu! The 1009 has 3.08 gears which will play heck on your tranny, small brakes and a short wheel base complicate things. It might could be done but I'd leave cubic room. Avoid it if you can.

LanceRobson

The M1009's pintle hitch is no where near strong enough for that job, with or without trailer brakes.

An M1028 is rated for 3,000 pounds towing capacity based on the M101 style trailers it was intended to tow. The weight of another truck and trailer are way past what the hitch and driveline were designed for, especially without trailer brakes.

Rent or borrow a truck for the job. It's not worth dying, killing someone else or tearing up your truck.

Lance

Sephirothq

An M1008 or M1028 is going to weight around 5800 lbs as a rough figure. Now add the weight of a trailer you tow weight is what around 8000lbs???? I would say you should use at least a 3/4 truck and trailer with brakes.
I have towed a M1008 on a trailer with a 1500 dodge. That truck did not like it at all.

blazer85

An M1008 or M1028 is going to weight around 5800 lbs as a rough figure. Now add the weight of a trailer you tow weight is what around 8000lbs???? I would say you should use at least a 3/4 truck and trailer with brakes.

I agree. The tag on my M1008 says curb weight 5,900 lbs. I towed it home with my V10 F250 with a 16' trailer w/ brakes. But, I had to pull the long truck so far up onto the trailer, that it was still a bit squirrely with that short of a trailer.

hfmt93

i was afraid that you guys were going to say this. Thanks for all the answers.

Does anyone watch the auctions and know if the trucks are always on there or just this month?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone watch the auctions and know if the trucks are always on there or just this month?
You can usually find quite a few of them in every auction it just depends on whether they are located within a reasonable distance to you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks