• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to m35a3

Rob V

Well we got a m35a3 yesterday . Never been over one at all. Wont start so they say. So i guess ill go over fuel system . Learned lots so far . Seems like the fuel system is very similar to the detroit 71 series i used to work on offshore. Supposed to be towed here in about an hour. You guys have a wealth of info here . Thanks for getting it all together. Im sure ill be asking a few questions.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to SS.
A good place to start is with the -10 TM
TM9-2320-386-10.pdf
TM9-2320-386-10 Operator manual for the M35A3.

the rest of the TM's can be download for free here;
[h=1]TM's for the Deuce[/h]M35A3 specific TM's
LO9-2320-386-12.pdf
LO9-2320-386-12 Lubrication order for the M35A3.
TM9-2320-386-24-1-1.pdf
TM9-2320-386-24-1-1 Unit, Direct and General Support Maintenance TM for the M35A3 1 of 2.

TM9-2320-386-24-1-2.pdf
TM9-2320-386-24-1-2 Unit, Direct and General Support Maintenance TM for the M35A3 2 of 2.

TM9-2320-386-24P.pdf
TM9-2320-386-24P Unit, Direct and General Support Parts and Special Tools lists for M35A3

Rob V

Thank you soooo much. I got it running tonight !!!! I hadto do lots of rigging. Hooked a wire to fuel solinoid , bypass fuel check valve, various little things. There is a circuit breaker tripping when i turn power switch on. I can hear it but not see it. Thats why i jumped fuel sol. Anyone know where breaker is? Almost thought i saw a spark from a guage light ? Maybe thats tripping breaker ?

Rob V

Thanks for your reply . Another problem area I have found is when the former owner couldn't get the fuel system primed (bad check valve) he decided to replace lift pump / Gov. unit. I guess there is a seal where the rod goes through the head and attaches to the rack? It wasn't put back. Anyway its blowing oil when you rev it up. I have looked at some of the tech manuals and cant seem to find a good explaination on it . Maybe ill go down at the cat store Monday and see what they can dig up. I don't suppose those things need to be timed in any way when you remove and replace them?

Also the tow truck driver snapped the air fitting off of the pass side rear where the 90 degree fitting for the glad hand comes through the frame rail. Seems easy enough.

Does anyone know what the main switch is called that turns the power on to the truck? I guess I'm going to look and see how many wires are attached to it and see if I can isolate the tripping breaker that way. At least that is the plan of attack at the moment we will see how that goes.

On a parting note it was very cool seeing everyones face when the diesel started getting fuel to the injectors lol. When the tow truck driver dropped it off he said its the 3rd time he has moved it. lol He said one of the moves was to a very reputable diesel shop here in town and even they couldn't fix it. He was pretty much laughing at us and there were some long faces in the shop . 3 hours later I had it purring like a cat . I think my "street cred " just went up a notch.

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for your reply . Another problem area I have found is when the former owner couldn't get the fuel system primed (bad check valve) he decided to replace lift pump / Gov. unit. I guess there is a seal where the rod goes through the head and attaches to the rack? It wasn't put back. Anyway its blowing oil when you rev it up. I have looked at some of the tech manuals and cant seem to find a good explaination on it . Maybe ill go down at the cat store Monday and see what they can dig up. I don't suppose those things need to be timed in any way when you remove and replace them?

Also the tow truck driver snapped the air fitting off of the pass side rear where the 90 degree fitting for the glad hand comes through the frame rail. Seems easy enough.

Does anyone know what the main switch is called that turns the power on to the truck? I guess I'm going to look and see how many wires are attached to it and see if I can isolate the tripping breaker that way. At least that is the plan of attack at the moment we will see how that goes.

On a parting note it was very cool seeing everyones face when the diesel started getting fuel to the injectors lol. When the tow truck driver dropped it off he said its the 3rd time he has moved it. lol He said one of the moves was to a very reputable diesel shop here in town and even they couldn't fix it. He was pretty much laughing at us and there were some long faces in the shop . 3 hours later I had it purring like a cat . I think my "street cred " just went up a notch.
If you would read the -10 tm it would tell you the name of the main switch (master switch) along with a lot of other things
that will prevent costly repairs
, but it's your money so do as you wish. These have simple electrical systems , you need to isolate which breaker is tripping and trace the issue , your "street cred " is likely going to cost you a expensive alternator.
I'm not sure what you mean by "lift pump" , but the injection does need to be timed ( again covered in the -24 TM). It sounds like this truck has been sitting quite awhile and needs a bumper to bumper servicing before it hits a public road

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Anything with a yaller motor in it is going to cost you big bucks when it breaks. That truck comes with what is basically a throw away engine.

The M35A3 was designed by a crew of idiots after consulting with a bunch of morons.

Biggest waste of taxpayer dollars since the Gamma Goat.

Good luck with that.

This opinion is coming from someone who spent 34 years in the Army and has bought/sold/traded/scrapped over 300 military vehicles over the last ten years.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The injector pump is covered in
TM 9-2320-386-24-1-2
Chapter 5

section III

Basic maintenance is covered in the
TM 9-2320-386-24-1-1
Chapter 3
section V

Last edited:

Rob V

Price was right for the A3. 2500 with the trailer.
I have worked on diesels quite alot i know those cats are expensive. I still love those 71 series detroits of that reason. Cheap. I got everything fixed that i had on my list but one thing that has me stumped. When the former owner put the new transfer pump/governor on, the piece that seals the control rod where it goes in the head called the sleave wont seat properly so there is a bit of an oil leak. When i get it close it binds the control rod. Kinda looks as if i will have to remove whole pump to figure it out. It runs **** near perfect now. No black smoke . No white smoke . The electrical problem was the fuel shut off sol. The former owner hooked the hot and ground on same lug. That will trip a breaker every time.Porky was correct though the alt. smoked. It was impressive. The windings cooked . Massive smoke . Sparks shooting everywhere. Think it toasted some dash lights. I just disconnected the hot leads. Education costs money they say. Rode it to store and filled up with fresh fuel. Pretty impressed with it so far. Been reading the manuals. Lots of pages there . I know there is an index. Other than that there are 2 very minor air leaks one by the horn . I need a few body parts soon. The drivers fender is mauled pretty good . I am thinking about heating it with a rosebud tip and beating it out some . We will see. Thanks for all the help .

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Price was right for the A3. 2500 with the trailer.
I have worked on diesels quite alot i know those cats are expensive. I still love those 71 series detroits of that reason. Cheap. I got everything fixed that i had on my list but one thing that has me stumped. When the former owner put the new transfer pump/governor on, the piece that seals the control rod where it goes in the head called the sleave wont seat properly so there is a bit of an oil leak. When i get it close it binds the control rod. Kinda looks as if i will have to remove whole pump to figure it out. It runs **** near perfect now. No black smoke . No white smoke . The electrical problem was the fuel shut off sol. The former owner hooked the hot and ground on same lug. That will trip a breaker every time.Porky was correct though the alt. smoked. It was impressive. The windings cooked . Massive smoke . Sparks shooting everywhere. Think it toasted some dash lights. I just disconnected the hot leads. Education costs money they say. Rode it to store and filled up with fresh fuel. Pretty impressed with it so far. Been reading the manuals. Lots of pages there . I know there is an index. Other than that there are 2 very minor air leaks one by the horn . I need a few body parts soon. The drivers fender is mauled pretty good . I am thinking about heating it with a rosebud tip and beating it out some . We will see. Thanks for all the help .

The -24P TM has the part numbers and diagrams .
If you think them yeller cat parts are expensive wait until you price out the wheel bearings for the A3.

Eliteweapons

If it has been sitting for a while I would suggest pulling the pickup tube, cleaning the screen on the bottom of it and cleaning the inside of the tank while you are replacing the check valve. Mime was FULL of slime and algae when I got it and the check valve was broken on it also. It is clean now thou.
14470786_1175575299152158_1858558154_n.jpg

Rob V

I already looked at all that i think someone already cleaned it . I havent put the check valve back yet still looking around the hardware stores for one that will work . Ordered the gm alternator today. I have to work today. Its getting in the way of my fun work.from what ive read with the new gm alt. The little wire coming offf of the old alt is the exciter wire leave it disconnected. Put the hots back on the hot lugs and just find a spot on motor for the 2 grounds that were on alt. Does that sound correct ?

Last edited:

Rob V

I did manage to get some work done today. I made a battery hold down for the batterys we got . There is a place around the corner that sells reconditioned batteries cheap like 45 dollars a piece.So we got 2 big top posts for 90 bucks. Ordered new bat. Terminals. Cleaned the cab and found some blank 5.56 rounds. Cut the lower alt bracket and rewelded it so ill be ready when new alt.gets here . Also dug into the broken glad hand on back the through frame fitting is fine it is only the ball valve that is broken. Making progress everyday. I sure wish there was a hardware store right next door to our shop.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a good take-out battery hold down for 6TL batteries you can have for free if you want it. Send me a PM if interested. Also, the check valve located over the fuel tank on an A3 is very easy to dismantle and clean. This is a weak point for A3 deuces as it doesn't take much to plug them up.