• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to Me - Ferrett 1715.12.58 - Plugs and Points (No Spark)

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hi guys,

We have been through the "is it getting fuel" exercise. The banjo bolt on the carb loosened, the electric fuel pump shoves it out like a fountain. Didn't bother removing the air cleaner cap to look and see if it "squirts".

Have removed the plugs about a week ago and pumped lots of Marvel Mystery Oil on top of the pistons. Let that sit for a few days.

Today and yesterday installed new batteries. Attempted to turn it over. Supposedly it ran about two years ago (or so). Nothing happened. Turn, no spark but gas must me doing somethng because it smells "gassy".

Today removed a plug. Finger over the hole. Feel suction on the finger and the pushing out of air as the motor turned over. Used that same plug, laid it on the steel frame and no spark (that I could see).

Popped off the top of the distributor. Looks like the picture that I have where there are a pair of points. One set hard to see, the other not so bad. The points move but I couldn't see any spark there either. It is a bright sunny day - so maybe I am just overlooking it.

Guess my question is: Have I missed something OR have I just tried "quick and dirty" and should get back to basics and dig in a little deeper?

No

Ferretboy

Hello mate....ignition problems???? Oh boy....its a search and find the problem thing....do you have a hot to the distribution box??? Do you have a hot to the coil???? From the coil to the distributor???? Sounds like you are getting fuel...just no fire....

Ferretboy

Sorry i said distribution box i ment junction box..next to the carb....if you open the cover....the wire connections are marked...you should get a hot with the ignition on.....

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hello mate....ignition problems???? Oh boy....its a search and find the problem thing....do you have a hot to the distribution box??? Do you have a hot to the coil???? From the coil to the distributor???? Sounds like you are getting fuel...just no fire....
Evening Sir.

I have not started measuring for voltage on the ignition. I need to go rummage some of my books and see what the distribution box looks like. I have never worked on a Rolls Royce before. Hot to the coil inspection is where I think I will start... I know what that looks like :)

I REALLY appreciate the starting point!

Just saw your "Junction Box" comment too. Will go find that and start there!!

Ferretboy

The cover on the coil is easier to get to and check if you are getting power to....great to hear from a fellow ferret owner...im no expert...but i will be glad to help if i can....i also collect any photos of ferrets...no big deal....but would love to see yours!!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I will definitely gather pictures off my phone and post them here. They will be "hot off the trailer" images. It is going to need a little cleaning and paint, but all in all, she looks pretty good.

The engine compartment has a lot of chipping paint. I figure once I get it powered up, then that mess needs to be made better. A friend has a steam jenny that just about fills up the back of a pickup truck. He has offered to come over next weekend and give it and the body a good cleaning.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
1715.12.58 looks like a hull no. If so its the 1715th ferret made....finished in december of 1958
Based only on reading forums, that appears to be what I understand.
These numbers were stamped into the hull.
There is also a thick aluminum metal plate also attached to the hull.

This one also came with a street title, so maybe with some effort and time I can take her for a spin :cool:
If I don't get that part finished, a ride around the building at work will be exciting.

Turn signals appear to work front and rear.
The white lights below those don't do anything yet.
Headlights - nothing yet.

The interior (map light?) on the right turns on.
Seems to be on a rheostat and can be super dim or really bright.

Son and I are still reading and learning, so there is something new to do or try every day!

Ferretboy

The electrical juntion box is a round box located to the front of the carb. It has cooling fins and 5 nuts holding the cover on....but its under the air intake tube and carb air horn....it has a screw on wireing connection....(inspect ) in this box are two ballasts that cut 24 volts down to 12 volts and then go to a filter unit located under the intake manifold...then to the coil.....

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The electrical juntion box is a round box located to the front of the carb. It has cooling fins and 5 nuts holding the cover on....but its under the air intake tube and carb air horn....it has a screw on wireing connection....(inspect ) in this box are two ballasts that cut 24 volts down to 12 volts and then go to a filter unit located under the intake manifold...then to the coil.....
Neat!! I was wondering about 12/24 and where or if that was going to happen.
If nothing else, maybe I can get the bolts undone and snap a few pictures to study.
Appreciate the pointer to where I need to be looking!

Thanks Ferretboy

Thanks Guyfang

I personally avoid being an Expert.
An "X" is a has-been
And a "spert" (spurt?) is a drip under pressure

Gotta have a laugh then the going gets rough!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hello mate....was wondering if you got the old girl sorted out???
I have made what I consider really good progress. Heat and Humidity has made it slow going, but I have managed to "almost" get it to run. Son and I checked out a few things. Confirmed power inside the distributor. Screwdriver to the center shaft and the points and even in broad daylight I can see a spark. It is Soooo close to starting.

Have ordered a set of points (two), condenser and a few other small parts.

Plan was to get after the distributor with some contact cleaner. Pulled my can out of the fire cab and it just dribbled... Need to replace that. Also want to polish the contacts in the points with some rough paper. That might be all it needs. I can't tell if the attempt at running is because one set of points aren't firing correctly. :-(

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hello mate....was wondering if you got the old girl sorted out???

Hi Ferretboy ,

So, without manuals, I am only guessing and that isn't especially bad.
Just means that you (me in particular) have to work harder to find solid answers.
I have bits and pieces, but not an entire book.

There is one question I am hoping to find an answer for...
Points. Dual Points in a Rolls Royce 6 in particular.

Do both points fire the same plug? (at almost the same time)
One that opens to spark, Then the second set of points then fires (possibly for dwell timing adjustment?)

OR does "Point Set 1" fire 3 plugs and "Point Set 2" fire the other 3 plugs?

Ferretboy

Here again I'm no expert...the distributor cam has 3 lobes.....each set of points fires 3 plugs....I do know the points need to be synchronized.....in the manual there are instructions on that...I can look that up and let you know.....

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Here are the instructions.....but you may try cleaning the points contacts first....hopefully no one disturbed the synchronization.....
Proud to say I have not touched the screws on the points. I am almost "bent" on getting it to run with the parts in place as they are "without my help". THANK YOU for the book pages! I just printed them a few minutes ago and I hope to have time to spend some quality time before it gets hot tomorrow.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks