• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me Humvee

lowell66dart

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It does have a tag. I'll get a pic and post it. Maybe someone can tell me what it means
I went for a couple of short 15 minute test drives this afternoon. Drives and shifts nice. Does not leak anything so far. All the gauges and lights work.
It has three Wranglers and one BF Goodrich so that has to change but I can let go of the steering wheel at 45 and it tracks straight.
Does anyone know what the stenciling on the front and back means?
I am pretty pleased so far being this thing was 15 minutes away. My wife told me about it!!!

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the madness.

I am not too far from you.

Are you aware of the deep south Rally this weekend in Hattiesburgh?

Did you register and title yours already?

Last edited:

lowell66dart

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know all about madness. I have had numerous 4x4's, built my own Harley, drag raced a high 9 second car for 10+ years etc. Currently have eight various Allis Chalmers and Farmall tractors ranging from 40 to 160 HP to farm about an acre and a half of Perique tobacco. You cigar smokers may know something about that.

Yes we are about 45 minutes away.

Al told me about the rally but I have a family crawfish boil thing going on.

I bought it yesterday and when to my agent. may have to go the collector car route for insurance. PO plated and titled in Louisiana BUT he got a letter. Came from OK where it was titled. Once I have the insurance I will give it a shot.

Hers a pic of my tag and does anyone know what these brackets are for?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
State Farm insured mine. My 5 ton is with Gulfway out of Fl.

We are working on the bill as you know. Hopefully good things will happen....

The triangle data plates are for MWO. Updates done since it was built. That ones appears to be for 3pt seat belts:
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?164864-M998-MWO-s

Zev - GoldnEagle might have a tire in Slidell. Send him a PM.

Post pictures of both sides of your bumper numbers and some of the members here are very good at deciphering.

Is that bracket on both sides of the tailgate?

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
State Farm insured mine. My 5 ton is with Gulfway out of Fl.

We are working on the bill as you know. Hopefully good things will happen....

The triangle data plates are for MWO. Updates done since it was built. That ones appears to be for 3pt seat belts:
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?164864-M998-MWO-s

Zev - GoldnEagle might have a tire in Slidell. Send him a PM.

Post pictures of both sides of your bumper numbers and some of the members here are very good at deciphering.

Is that bracket on both sides of the tailgate?
Welcome! I am partial to the gen 1 HMMWV's too, having one as my only experience with green iron.

That vintage should also have another MWO for the improved parking brake. You could google that and check yours. The upgraded parking brake functions better. It was an MWO many many years ago, which should have affected yours.

I recommend doing the entire lube order, available here: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?78861-TM-s-for-the-M998-series
and that link has the Tech Manuals as well.

You don't have to open and inspect the hubs if you really don't want to, but at least drain them and inspect the drainage carefully. If it's not pretty, clean gear oil, an open and inspect is in order. When hubs fail, corners of HMMWVs fall off at speed...

Give her a going through, and ride the wheels off her! (Figuratively!)

Welcome again,
Bulldogger

lowell66dart

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys. The brackets near the tailgate are on both sides. If you look closely at the picture you can see a Velcro strip in there.
Ordered a tranny filter today and picked up an oil filter. Hubs, diffs and cooling system are next.
I just finished building and installing a ground kit. It did NOT cure my flickering headlights or change the pulsing wait to start light. It starts right up so no big deal yet.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys. The brackets near the tailgate are on both sides. If you look closely at the picture you can see a Velcro strip in there.
Ordered a tranny filter today and picked up an oil filter. Hubs, diffs and cooling system are next.
I just finished building and installing a ground kit. It did NOT cure my flickering headlights or change the pulsing wait to start light. It starts right up so no big deal yet.
I suspect maybe the brackets are for combat Id panels but I have never seen them in the rear. I have seen special brackets on the hood & brush guard, and seen them on sides but I think that might be just velcro.

flickering is probably the grounds but check them all. Ground kit can not hurt.

My wait light would only light for a nano second but everything worked ok. I changed the temp sensor/glow plug controller with the large black connector on the crossover tube and wait light comes on and works perfectly now. YMMV

It does have a tag. I'll get a pic and post it. Maybe someone can tell me what it means
I went for a couple of short 15 minute test drives this afternoon. Drives and shifts nice. Does not leak anything so far. All the gauges and lights work.
It has three Wranglers and one BF Goodrich so that has to change but I can let go of the steering wheel at 45 and it tracks straight.
Does anyone know what the stenciling on the front and back means?
I am pretty pleased so far being this thing was 15 minutes away. My wife told me about it!!!
44 Medical Brigade, 4th Combat Support Hospital. That thing should be a cherry!

From Ft Bragg, NC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brackets are for convoy signs. “Convoy Ahead” or even signs in Arabic telling Hajjis( oops, ‘local nationals’) to keep back 500 feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lowell66dart

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I rolled around under this thing on a creeper today and I agree it is cherry! When I had the doghouse off I noticed the rust on the heads. They did paint the heads at the factory correct?
I got Hajji brackets!!!!!!!
Thanks guys.

Wire Fox

Thing I love about these 2-man HMMWVs...check out one of the field medical field manuals...one talks about medevac and casevac, and details ways in which you can load wounded soldiers on litters into various vehicles. A 2-man HMMWV carrier 5 hurt GIs on litters...2 in the bed of the HMMWV, and 3 above and perpendicular to them, across the troop seats. If you go in there and remove the rear seat bases, you can also fit several water and fuel cans very low and out of the way. Just check the stowage guide for an M1097 Prime Mover in the -10 operator manual...you'll see all kinds of great things that you can do with a 2 man cargo variant. Way better than carrying just 4 people uncomfortably and some armament to support them, if you ask me.

lowell66dart

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sunday morning I'm heading to work when no one is around and have a printing party. Trees ARE crops.

Got the oil changed today and got grease in every zert. Ordered a tranny filter. Straightened out the brush guard.

Also determined that I have a 6.5. That's explains the flash rusted heads I guess.

Action

The headlights will pulse bright/dim for a few, after starting. The volt meter will also move back and forth.
You probably have thos brackets on the fender sides, above the rear tires?

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The headlights will pulse bright/dim for a few, after starting. The volt meter will also move back and forth.
You probably have thos brackets on the fender sides, above the rear tires?
That headlight pulsing and volt meter swing is electrical load caused by afterglow on the glowplugs, as an aid to keeping it running until it gets warm.
Feature, not bug. :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks