• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New (to me) M1009 with some issues

wired1000

Hi Everyone,

I just picked up a M1009 in pretty decent shape from another enthusiast in Chicago. He told me about this site and I'm asking for some advice. I did find the TM's elsewhere on the net, but didn't find anything obviously related to this issue

Issue #1: I didn't notice this in the test drive, but now that I'm driving it I notice a sort of "howling" sound coming from the rear. This is only at highway speeds (40+mph) and it only happens when the drivetrain is engaged (when I let off the gas and coast, the sound ceases). I plan to change all the fluids (engine, tranny, transfer case, rear / front axles... eventually start on the non-drivetrain ones too), but is this common? I don't believe this is tire noise. Something else I should check or fix?

Related issue... I plan to spend a decent amount of time on the highway. I saw the Gear Vendors overdrive kit... wish it wasn't $3k!! anybody else done some mods to lower rpms at highway speeds?

Other than changing all fluids, what should I check or fix right away? Everything seems to be in working order, but I don't believe this truck has had any kind of in-depth, recent work done to it besides the fuel system.

Thanks in advance!

Parker

Dodge man

Howling like that can be a sign of worn gears or too much play in them. Adjusting gears is a complicated business and you need to get a knowledgable and experienced person to do it and not just some grease monkey! But I would check the diffy fluid level ASAP! In fact if you don't know how long it has been since they were changed I would change it immediately. Checking the fluid level and replacing the fluid periodically in the diffys, transmission and x-fer case is something that's frequently ignored in MOST vehicles!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to SteelSoldiers.

Make sure you visit the http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showwiki.php?title=wiki:Cucv (CUCV Wiki) that is at the top of the page on the CUCV Forum. All of the CUCV Technical Manuals are listed and many other helpful bits of information.

Make sure you download the repair manuals. You can get then for free. A couple of our members have posted them on their websites.

Also the wiring diagrams are in the appendix of the -20 and -34 manuals.
http://www.jatonkam35s.com/

Also checkout the http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/20600-faq-thread-cucvs.html stickey. It is where we try to post helpful tips and tricks.

Almost every question you will have has been asked and answered many times. The advanced search will become your best friend. Please don't hesitate to ask something that you can't find.

Read the TM 9-2320-289-10 Operators Manual to find out how a stock system should work. It is simular to the Operators Manual for Civilian vehicles. It tells you where all the lighs, switches, etc are located and what they do.

Three of the most important tools you can buy are:
Voltmeter and know how to use it - ~$10 and up
12v Battery Charger - ~$50 for a decent one
Battery Load Tester - ~$30 for an okay one at Harbor Freight

These trucks weren't meant to be driven 80mph. A M1009 which has 3.08 gears and the three speed tranny will run 60-65 easily.

A cheaper route is to change the tires to 33-12.5-15s on STOCK rims. That will let you run 65 and around 1600rpm. Many members have done ythat and report 20-24mpg.

Warthog

Last edited:

chuck0070

I looked for some threads and didn't seem to find... my questions is in regards to your suggestion on using 33x12.5x15 tires, what modifications need to be done to slip those tires on an M1009? Thanks

chuck0070

I have stock tires and rims. In your opinion, i shouldnt experience any tire rubbing if I up size? Your opinion on slipping those 12.5 on the stock rims?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have stock tires and rims. In your opinion, i shouldnt experience any tire rubbing if I up size? Your opinion on slipping those 12.5 on the stock rims?
Seems like you are the only person to talk about tires here. Just kidding. :wink:

There has been countless threads about tire and different sizes. We have been attempting to pass on our knowledge.

Here is just one of the threads for the M1009

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/70198-recommended-tire-size-m1009-other-related-questions.html

Read Barrman's and OL AG '89's posts about the size they run.

The 33's will fit fine on the stock rims. Get either 10.5 or 12.5. Both will work.

Last edited:

wired1000

Thanks for the heads up on the tires. Mine have about 25% tread left, so I'll probably get bigger ones when I replace them. I did search through the existing posts for about an hour without finding anything specifically about the howling sound I'm experiencing. I did, however, find some good related info... always good to be learning! :smile:

I apologize for re-asking the same "what should I do first now that I got a CUCV" question that I'm sure you all see about 10 times a day. :-/ Oh well...

So it's at a shop right now and if they give me a reasonable quote I'm just gonna have them replace all the drivetrain fluids as well as take a look at the diff's while they're open. It seems to be that the advice is to replace rather than rebuild, if the diff is the problem. Will advise once I hear back from the shop.

wired1000

Anybody near Chicago have a rear axle? Any suggestions about where to get a rebuilt one? I remember seeing a thread that talked about a good source, but I haven't been able to find it again aua