• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me M1009

btmurph

Hello to the board! I've been lurking here for a couple weeks after I found an M1009 for sale locally. Well, the tow truck dropped it off today and I'm excited to get things started! Truck didn't run for 7 years but ran when parked... Fluid changes, new batts and such to get her running again. That's my "assistant" with me :)

Attachments

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good. And the assistant is a must.

When you have a break, please edit you user profile to list your State of residence. It is a site requirement.

Welcome! Those 09's are tons of fun and simple to work on, just don't rush and don't forget the beer. Looks like a great helper. I'm sure you will all have fun exploring in the beast, my boy loves it as he can see everything.

btmurph

Many thanks to all! @paraclete: a plentiful supply of liquid bread is always on hand :beer:

So trying to get the 09 running after xmas... changed the oil (nice black color, no signs of water or debris); drained 15 gals of old diesel out of the tank (no signs of water or debris), added 5 gals of fresh with some fuel additive; new fuel filter; 2 group 31 Napa commercial batts (ouch!)... any tips on priming the injector lines?

And a couple of underhood pics:

IMG_20141227_152104422.jpgIMG_20141227_152134316.jpgIMG_20141227_152112956.jpg

The resistor bypass was already done, though I've now disconnected the 24v supply and may remove the resistor bank entirely. The truck was converted to a manual glow plug switch and they used what looks like a C-code civvy relay for it. Idiot lights all work though the volt meter isn't functioning.

Once the motor is firing I'll be doing a coolant change...

Future projects:

1. Doghead mod (if not already done)
2. Fix the voltmeter
3. Restore the glow plug system to stock (keeping it 12v and piggybacking the manual switch for backup)
4. Fixing the window regulators (drivers and back windows both don't crank properly)
5. Adding a USB power supply in the ashtray tray for phone charging and such

Skinny

Do a starter relay fix before you learn the hard way while priming the system. If the truck was running recent, chances are the injector lines are still primed. Do not attempt to start with the IP wire connected unless you are pretty positive the system is bled out. This will save you lots of aggrevation. I would recommend fixing the GP system and confirming it functions to avoid more excessive cranking and also to avoid any lure of using starting fluid.

Congrats on the purchase!

btmurph

Do a starter relay fix before you learn the hard way while priming the system. If the truck was running recent, chances are the injector lines are still primed. Do not attempt to start with the IP wire connected unless you are pretty positive the system is bled out. This will save you lots of aggrevation. I would recommend fixing the GP system and confirming it functions to avoid more excessive cranking and also to avoid any lure of using starting fluid.

Congrats on the purchase!
Thank you sir! When replacing the fuel filter I prefilled it and with the IP wire off got a nice stream of fuel out of the bleed. Truck hasn't run in at least 7 years and the lines appear dry so attempting to bleed them.

I was going to confirm the GP system was working but out of the 3 multimeters that I own, they are all nowhere to be found! :x I'm working today so I'll be borrowing one from work to check the glow plugs and relay. I was going to wait to get the truck running first before I checked for/installed the doghead mod, but maybe that's where I start.

Skinny

Good place to start...many people with good intentions fall victim to fires, burnt wired, toasted starters, etc.

I would open all the lines and crank in 10 second intervals for quite some time. A good tip...remove all GPs so the engine spins over faster. Much easier on starting system. Be sure IP is plugged in or you'll never bleed the high pressure lines out.

btmurph

So I'm waiting for my batteries to recharge and took advantage to do some electrical work:

image.jpg

I found the original starter relay abandoned in place and a new one dangling from the harness. Doghead mod forthcoming...

I already knew the glow plug card had been bypassed but I found it today:
image.jpg
Anybody have the cover for this? I'll be replacing this when I've got the money for antennaclimber's card. I also found a clipped wire nearby:
image.jpg
Definitely NOT off the glow plug harness but I'll be digging into the wiring diagrams to find what the heck it's for.

I also unscrewed all the glow plugs to help prime the injection lines and discovered that they're Champions of some sort and even though they all ohmed out good (about 1.5 ohms) 6 of them are swollen and since I'm a Murphy they're probably all going to be a major pain to remove. :-xaua:doh:

Skinny

Obviously it is tough to get it running without GPs but running the engine up nice and hot, shutting it off, unscrew a single GP, spray in there with WD40...sometimes you can work them out. Mine had a few pretty bad. Didn't break a single one. Took very long though because once you change out a single plug, you have to run the engine up again.

btmurph

It RUNS!!! I did the doghead mod, replaced the 2 glow plugs that'd come out, plugged in the block heater for a couple hours, replaced all the glow plug connectors... And after some plug cycling and some cranking (5 or 6 cycles) she fired up :D

Alt 1 light went out immediately and Alt 2 went out after a bit of throttle. VERY happy here since wifey and friends were starting to question my sanity buying a truck that didn't run.

Added my license plate lights (PO didn't bother I guess):
image.jpgimage.jpg

I got those led stud lights and connected them to the civvy flat 4 trailer connector for now... I'll figure something that's more permanent when I reattach the pintle assembly.

Coolant drain and fill in process (x like 3... there's some great stuff draining from the radiator)... And I've still got some issues I need to iron out (fast idle not working, engine will die if I let off the throttle too fast) but I'll be checking the tm's tonight.

donalloy1

I am right in your backyard Sir! My O9 other than SS/creature comfort MODS is unmolested. Would like to help if I can? Drop me a note. Either way welcome to O9/OD Corps. DMLII sends

btmurph

Thank you baldy :)

Hi is it Don? I've seen your posts here and saw you were in Martinez, just over the bridge! We'll have to meet up soon and talk 09's :)

I've done the mod-it-all-to-**** thing and my plans are to keep this baby pretty stock. I'm looking for reliability not performance with this CUCV. I know folks will scoff but for me this is a Chevy truck I can work on and fix pretty easily. Plus this is my way to desensitize my wife to MV's... Next step, halftrack! :lol:

donalloy1

Thank you baldy :)

Hi is it Don? I've seen your posts here and saw you were in Martinez, just over the bridge! We'll have to meet up soon and talk 09's :)

I've done the mod-it-all-to-**** thing and my plans are to keep this baby pretty stock. I'm looking for reliability not performance with this CUCV. I know folks will scoff but for me this is a Chevy truck I can work on and fix pretty easily. Plus this is my way to desensitize my wife to MV's... Next step, halftrack! :lol:
Yes it is Don. Sorry for the initials thing. Old Marine habit!

We should hook up.

btmurph

Pleasure Don, I'm Brian. Things are a little crazy here at the moment, but in a few weeks should settle down. Looking forward to meeting :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks