• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me M101A2 - First govliq buy

3dAngus

Why would you ever want to lock out the brakes on a M101 series?

I'm just curious, not being testy or argumentative.

bob95065

1. If the damper in teh tonuge is bad the brakes wil function erratically. This was my primary motivator because I had a 400+ mile drive home.

2. Backing up with a heavy load.

3. Backing the trailer uphill.

4. Combination of #2 & #3.

bob95065

BTW I live in Santa Cruz California and bought this trailer for hauling firewood. I usually wind up cutting wood in the mountains so I will probably find myself backing the trailer uphill often. Plus for $3 I figured it woudl be a good thing to buy now before I found myself in eth woods somewhere wishing I had it.

bob95065

Yeah it was real nice... I couldn't get a pic of that one... The trailer I picked up was reworked in 2004 and looked like it never had been used since then. The tires were brand new and there were nubbies still on them. I blocked off the brakes with a 3/8's bolt and towed it home. I am going to go over the whole thing in a bit here since I have the whole day off. More pics to come of the salvage yard and the gate pickup...
I am looking forward to the pictures. In hindsight I am sorry I didn't take more pictures myself. Thanks for posting yours. It's almost like I took them just a few hours later!

bob95065

I just came home from the DMV. I had a 0850 appointment this morning. I arrived at 0815 for the VIN inspection. The inspector was confused because there were two data plates - one on the frame and one on the box. Fortunately the numbers matched. He filled out the application for title form and I went inside.

I checked in at 0826 and took a seat. I was called about 10 minutes later. I gave the clerk the Application for Title form, the bill of sale and reciept for $50 that I paid the Friday before. Like everyone else she was asking me if the governmnet issued a title. I told her that was all the paperwork they gave me. She took everything to an office in the back. I was starting to thing it was going to be a long day and I was leaving without a plate.

She came back and started typing away in her computer. She went to her file cabinet and pulled out a California Permanent Trailer plate - a very good sign. She came back and printed out some paperwork and handed me a piece of paper that was the trailer registration card and the plate. She said that I would receive a $30 refund in the mail in a few weeks. I looked at my watch - 0850. It was much easier than I thought.

I am attaching the two pictures I took in the GL lot. I want to pull the tires off to inspect the brakes this weekend before I start loading it with firewood.

Attachments

URBNFLX

I went to the DMV on Thursday, I had started the paperwork last week and took the trailer down for verification and the guy took about half an hour to come out... Guess that's what I get for coming to the DMV around lunchtime. He took a while to figure out what the trailer was and that it didn't have a vin number on it anywhere. He went back inside for a while(he must have been researching what to call the trailer) and then came out with a shiny blue ID tag(I asked if he could just give me the tag and I could make a nice little data plate but he said that he had to witness the tag being put on the trailer, so I put it on the wiring cover. I am almost sure that the first time I pressure wash it that tag will be gone). I had to fix some of the spelling on the form and then I was off to wait in line inside.

The lady I dealt with inside was real nice and I had already completed my paperwork at the other DMV so she just went and got her manager to input a password to create the new SMC (Stevens Manufacturing Company) acronym in the DMV computer and then issued me the new perm trailer plate. Total cost $38, not bad for 5 years reg. Pretty strange though, my M101A1 was $57 just about a month ago to get the perm plate.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks