• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New (to me) M1061A1 recovery and lessons learned

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All-
I've had the idea since picking up my M37 to get a M1061 to haul it behind the 5 ton on camping trips etc so that when I set up camp, I would have a "grocery getter" (I like to camp a week at a time or better. I work 3 weeks on/off) so if I needed to go anywhere I wouldn't have to take the 5 ton setup down and back up. Also, my lady usually drives her truck as a chase vehicle/grocery getter and this would get rid of that need. Plus, it would look really cool!

So for a while I've been looking for one and lo and behold, our very own @fuzzytoaster let me know he had one and it was available for purchase.

Last week, my sweet @IRIS_Always said "Why don't we arrange to go get it." So I called him, arranged to meet yesterday and got on the road at 0500.

We got to his place around 1100 and I realized I had forgotten my magnetic trailer lights, so we hopped over to Home Depot and picked some up, then went back, hooked up and left and got home about 2000 last night.

Let me say thanks to @fuzzytoaster for keeping an eye out for me and being as awesome as he is, my sweet lady for being a real trooper about all of this and my kids for tolerating a 15 hour road trip to pick up more OD green.

Here she is in her glory; meet "The Wiggle Wagon".

20220813_143015.jpg

20220813_143006.jpg

20220813_143051.jpg

20220813_143103.jpg

Lessons learned:

When I hooked up to the pickup truck, this 5,800+ pound trailer didn't squat the truck at all and I couldn't figure out why.

I had looked at the data plate before we left and the lunette (tongue) weights kept picking at my brain... they were extremely low..... 340 lbs empty and 445 pound loaded.

After I got on the interstate to head home, I realized why they were that low: all of the weight is on the back end of the trailer. At about 60 mph, she started swaying like an incorrectly loaded trailer will (more weight in the back causes the trailer to sway side to side). So I slowed down to ~57mph (which did not endear me to Dalls/Ft. Worth drivers AT ALL) and she settled out. Occasionally I would hit a bump or something and she would start swaying and I would have to "drive it out". (Accellerate to reduce the sway then gently slow down to my desired speed).

I stopped about every 75-100 miles to check the tires etc and they all rode great.

So: the main lesson to learn is if this trailer is empty when you recover, keep on mind it's going to sway and how to stop that.

We get 15 miles from home after a full day of sunny weather and of COURSE it starts to rain.

I backed it up to the spot I wanted to park it and- problem: the ground isn't level enough to drop the front legs for me to lift it off of the pintle, so I adjusted placement and found a good spot. The boys were excited to help unhook, so she's parked.

20220813_195930.jpg

20220813_200550.jpg

20220813_200530.jpg

What's next?

TMs: Going to find/download the TMs and get acquainted with her needs.

Cleanup. I'm going to pressure wash and clean her up.

Lube: every greaze zerk is going to get some love

Testing: I'm going to hook it up to the 5 ton to ensure the brakes etc all work.

Repair: there are some minor things needing attention (on of the covers of the gears on the legs needs to be reattached

Paint: The colors are being debated, but it'll probably end up green/black to match Bertha. One thing I WILL do is paint 16-18" wide strips of non-skid on the deck to help the M37 maintain traction when loading wet so there are no accidents.

Any advice or other lessons learned will be appreciated.

And of course my youngest was like a kid at a candy shop at Fuzzys:

20220813_104006.jpg

20220813_104015.jpg

Last edited:

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Uhmmmmmm,

How is M37 going to acquire the throne???

I am guessing ramps of some sort? Or ya got something awesome like a trailer mounted crane in mind?

They are a heavy trailer and I am sure you felt her behind ya on the return back home. Thanks for the pics and CONGRATS on the new family member!!

Last edited:

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Uhmmmmmm,

How is M37 going to acquire the throne???

I am guessing ramps of some sort? Or ya got something awesome like a trailer mounted crane in mind?

They are a heavy trailer and I am sure you felt her behind ya on the return by home. Thanks for the pics and CONGRATS on the new family member!!
I was gonna ask you about if maybe you could please measure your ramps and I'll have some built.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an M1061E1 trailer I picked up from Jimma a few years ago. It had a lot of rust on it and I had it sandblasted and painted with 383 paint. It looks like new now. I routinely pull it with my M35A3 and previously pulled it with my M35A2 before I sold it. The A3 maxes out at 45 mph, but the A2 could pull it up to 50 - 55 mph. When I've pulled mine, both loaded and unloaded, I've never experienced any swaying. I mostly use it for moving my John Deere 5520 tractor, but I've also used it to move some cars and a pickup. It really works great, albeit it is very heavy. I also like the fact that you can lower the legs and make a very stable and level platform for working, etc. For loading, I simply back the trailer up to a bank or back it into a large ditch. I don't have any ramps to use with it. When I first got it, I had problems with the brakes locking up. It turned out that the two air lines were painted red and blue, but the colors were reversed. Simple fix. I never pull that trailer with a deuce without the air lines hooked up and I take it slow.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an M1061E1 trailer I picked up from Jimma a few years ago. It had a lot of rust on it and I had it sandblasted and painted with 383 paint. It looks like new now. I routinely pull it with my M35A3 and previously pulled it with my M35A2 before I sold it. The A3 maxes out at 45 mph, but the A2 could pull it up to 50 - 55 mph. When I've pulled mine, both loaded and unloaded, I've never experienced any swaying. I mostly use it for moving my John Deere 5520 tractor, but I've also used it to move some cars and a pickup. It really works great, albeit it is very heavy. I also like the fact that you can lower the legs and make a very stable and level platform for working, etc. For loading, I simply back the trailer up to a bank or back it into a large ditch. I don't have any ramps to use with it. When I first got it, I had problems with the brakes locking up. It turned out that the two air lines were painted red and blue, but the colors were reversed. Simple fix. I never pull that trailer with a deuce without the air lines hooked up and I take it slow.
The sway came from me pulling it with my pickup

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I was gonna ask you about if maybe you could please measure your ramps and I'll have some built.
Tongue modification for pickups and ramps

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Question for @marchplumber and @simp5782 and anyone else with the trailer..

As far as the dovetail goes, does it change the offloading capability of the trailer much? (I camp in some remote places...)
Agreed. The drop down dovetail "Departure Angle" will get you hung on a hill if you are out in rough terrain. The good news is that there won't be a lot of folks who will be out in the woods with a truck with air brakes. Spring brakes will put it in place and then you could unload the trailer and back it up into the woods until you come back.

Beats getting stuck!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks