• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me M35A3, suggestions needed

Falconair07

I’m the proud new owner of this rig; my first MV. 1995 M35A3 CAT 3116, automatic. It was in a fresh water flood 3 years ago and hasn’t been touched since.

What recommendations do you have on maintenance actions to complete before I even try to see if she will get up and running? Thanks for your help!

Attachments

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm **sure** you've downloaded the -10 and -20 TMs for your truck and have pursued them (if you aren't familiar with the TM system, the last 2 digits of your series truck is the main one... -10 is operators manual and -20 is maintenance).

That said- I remember my first MV and how intimidated I was, it was a 1969 M35A2.

The best advice I can give you is in a more personal level... I'm not sure of your mechanical ability or comfort level, but I can only advise you to not be scared to dig in an work on your truck. You'll have a better appreciation of it, you'll learn to troubleshoot more quickly and you for sure will save yourself some money.

Also, number one piece of advice: SAFETY! Everything in these trucks is heavy and will kill or maim you.

Before you just grab on to something, read a little, reach out to other members and get advice and double check to make sure there isn't some form of energy (pneumatic, hydraulic etc) waiting to get you....

Be safe and enjoy that beautiful beast!!!

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice find !!! CTIS has been removed , probably when they put 395 tires on it , figure a change of ALL fluids and filters , new batteries , chassis lube and a wheel bearing service . I also converted the wheel bearings to the A2 style , Read all the TM's and take it one step at a time

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you know how deep the water was in the flood? Do you know how long portions of the truck were submerged? I would make an effort to find out because this could steer you into what needs to be remedied. It is good that the flood was fresh water and not salt water. The M35A3 is a very good truck and very reliable. I see you also have a winch. The A3 hydraulic powered winch works very well. Depending on how deep the water was, I would drain and refill everything on the truck, differentials, transfer case, transmission, engine and winch. If you see any water come out of anything, I would fill and drain again. I would repack all wheel bearings and grease 100% of all zerks - you should do this anyway on a newly acquired truck. However, the most important thing is to make certain that there is no water in any of the cylinders. Attempting to start the engine with water in a cylinder will do severe damage. I would not replace the batteries unless they are damaged. The A3 has rubber floor mats. It is very difficult for water to get out from under the floor mats and this will lead to floor rust if not dried out. If your A3 still has rubber mats, I would remove them if there is evidence of water under them and thoroughly dry the floor and mats before re-installing them. A lot of this depends on how deep the water was.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I’m the proud new owner of this rig; my first MV. 1995 M35A3 CAT 3116, automatic. It was in a fresh water flood 3 years ago and hasn’t been touched since.

What recommendations do you have on maintenance actions to complete before I even try to see if she will get up and running? Thanks for your help!
Congratulations on your new hobby and new-to-you truck alconair07 !

The guys are right. Take your time. Read those really dry and boring books - and believe us - when we say will help keep you safe and "learn you" a lot of stuff that you need to know with a vehicle that large.

New fluids for sure... Everything that moves should get a shot of penetrating oil and/or grease. There is even a TM (Technical Manual) on how to grease the thing. :)

Like everybody mentioned - need to know how deep the flood water was. That way we can offer up ideas on changing transmission fluid and engine oil...

AND, Welcome to the Outfit! Send more pictures :cool:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With 14 feet of water, you had a total submersion. You will almost definitely have water in some cylinders. Make sure you get it out before trying to get the engine to run. Like Porkyplace said, I hope it was cheap. You have a lot of work ahead of you. How long ago was it in the flood? If it was very recent, that is good. If it was months or even years ago, there is likely a lot of internal rust already. When I was a kid, my Dad bought a 1953 Chrysler station wagon that was in a total submersion flood of the Ohio River. It was up to me to clean it up. A horrible mess. Not including the drive train, the instruments, radio, upholstery, everything was still full of water and a coating of mud. That car was never the same.

Falconair07

With 14 feet of water, you had a total submersion. You will almost definitely have water in some cylinders. Make sure you get it out before trying to get the engine to run. Like Porkyplace said, I hope it was cheap. You have a lot of work ahead of you. How long ago was it in the flood? If it was very recent, that is good. If it was months or even years ago, there is likely a lot of internal rust already. When I was a kid, my Dad bought a 1953 Chrysler station wagon that was in a total submersion flood of the Ohio River. It was up to me to clean it up. A horrible mess. Not including the drive train, the instruments, radio, upholstery, everything was still full of water and a coating of mud. That car was never the same.
It was cheap, and it was 3 years ago. We’ll see what happens!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
It was cheap, and it was 3 years ago. We’ll see what happens!
It's going to be a lot of labor, but with enough time it can be brought back from the dead. Yes sir, every gearbox in that vehicle is going to still have water in it. Water that has "soured" and is going to smell awful when the oil drains out and the water floods into your drain pan. Every wheel bearing is going to have to be cleaned, inspected and hopefully repacked. Brakes will have water in them too.

I would offer up a suggestion that you need to remove the engine and carefully disassemble it. Hoping that most of it can be salvaged, maybe a good cleaning, light hone on everything and new bearing and seal kit and new rings and a complete rebuild of the cylinder head. Getting rid of the rust is gonna be a mess to deal with, but it has to be out of there or it won't ever be right.

Wish I had a magic wand that I could loan you...

Falconair07

It's going to be a lot of labor, but with enough time it can be brought back from the dead. Yes sir, every gearbox in that vehicle is going to still have water in it. Water that has "soured" and is going to smell awful when the oil drains out and the water floods into your drain pan. Every wheel bearing is going to have to be cleaned, inspected and hopefully repacked. Brakes will have water in them too.

I would offer up a suggestion that you need to remove the engine and carefully disassemble it. Hoping that most of it can be salvaged, maybe a good cleaning, light hone on everything and new bearing and seal kit and new rings and a complete rebuild of the cylinder head. Getting rid of the rust is gonna be a mess to deal with, but it has to be out of there or it won't ever be right.

Wish I had a magic wand that I could loan you...
Thanks! It’s okay, I needed a project! Too much free time, that’s why I got it!

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW first Congrats on your find its going to be a large project but it can be done beside you bought it now your committed! Its just about easier to tell you that EVERYTHING needs to drained and cleaned and when I say EVERYTHING I mean just that, engine, fuel system, every bearing on the truck will in the least need to be cleaned inspected and likely replaced (depending on how long its been wet). I would pull the head on the engine and the pan because that obviously a pretty main component along with diffs, transfer case hydraulic pump injectors, you get my point by now. Have a great set of TMs and start at one end and work through the entire truck, you have no idea what you have till it comes apart and you can see whats what! Good luck and its just time and money, hopefully we are all surprised how good everything survived!

Falconair07

Wrote the check and got the title last night. Today we moved “88” from the Fire Dept down the road to our lot.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks