• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new to me m818

k10greene

I just agreed to buy an M 818 and I'm very confused about the transfer case. It used to be a winch truck but it has been removed. I know that it's supposed to have an air operated front axle and I've read the TM. The owner told me to pull the lever that supposed to control the winch to engage the front axle. Could that possibly be correct my m54 was automatic. The lever is directly next to the high low lever if that helps at all.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Either the owner does not know what he is talking about or the truck has met bubba:p
I agree. If it HAS air shift front axle, the lever/control should be on the lower center part of the dash....at least that's were every one I've seen is located.

I think I would be concerned about anything else the seller tells me.:shock:

k10greene

I did hear the poppets as I shifted one to reverse and back same as my m54. I just wanted to confirm that there wasn't a one off configuration or mod. Hopefully it hasn't been Bubbafied because it's an awsome truck. What's a safe rpm range for the highway?

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Being a 809 series the poppets should control the air cylinder. If it was some how redone and the leaver is used to control the sprag then you would have to shift it for a forward gear then shift again when you need reverse gear if front axle engagement is needed. Climb under the truck and look at what the linkage does. The Deuce has the air control under the dash for the front engagement.

Last edited:

dilligaf13

Ditto. Follow the linkage and post some pics. With the winch removed you should look under the truck and see that lever hooked to nothing...

k10greene

From the sounds it seems like a normal 5 ton axle engagement from first to reverse and back. My worry is that is been Bubbafied I'll see it next in a few weeks then I'll post pics. Thank you all very much for the help it's deeply appreciated I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions. Has anyone installed an exhaust cutout to run straight pipe or muffled when the mood strikes? I'm thinking about installing one and running a second exhaust to the stack.