• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me M923A2.

Ttallent13

Here in Virginia and Just picked this bad boy up and wanted to say hi. This is my first military vehicle and have to say, I love it. Ordered a few things for it already (keyed gas cap and door handles). Going over the truck the last few days and it was well taken care of. Last owner just serviced it, replacing all the filters and fluids. Looking it over and no leaks found as of yet. I think it’s a pretty solid truck. Not sure if I got it for a great price, but I’m happy. Bought it for a farm vehicle so not a daily driver lol.6906624B-6378-4198-8F0B-FFDDC8BD8242.jpeg22B0C43B-23FE-4391-8562-CB9BDDCE2E07.jpeg

Steelreaper80

Here in Virginia and Just picked this bad boy up and wanted to say hi. This is my first military vehicle and have to say, I love it. Ordered a few things for it already (keyed gas cap and door handles). Going over the truck the last few days and it was well taken care of. Last owner just serviced it, replacing all the filters and fluids. Looking it over and no leaks found as of yet. I think it’s a pretty solid truck. Not sure if I got it for a great price, but I’m happy. Bought it for a farm vehicle so not a daily driver lol.View attachment 856003View attachment 856004
Welcome! Nice looking truck. I wanted to let you know about to things to check that are not obvious and I have found out the hard way. First off, take the stock alternator and either sell it or junk it! Number 1 thing! They are trash and tend to go belly up anyways. A Delco clone 21SI is what I replaced mine with. You will need a new belt and mounting bracket. All super easy and cheap to acquire. I got my alternator from Autozone. Around $100.

Second, pull all the hubs and re-pack the bearings if the last owner did not. Some were actually put in DRY. One of mine was from Red River Army Depot during the re-build.

The more you work it, the more little things (mostly little things....) creep up. But once, you work it for a while and spend some time, $$$, and elbow grease on it, you will have a kick a$$ truck!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Here in Virginia and Just picked this bad boy up and wanted to say hi. This is my first military vehicle and have to say, I love it. Ordered a few things for it already (keyed gas cap and door handles). Going over the truck the last few days and it was well taken care of. Last owner just serviced it, replacing all the filters and fluids. Looking it over and no leaks found as of yet. I think it’s a pretty solid truck. Not sure if I got it for a great price, but I’m happy. Bought it for a farm vehicle so not a daily driver lol.View attachment 856003View attachment 856004
Welcome to the Outfit!

It does look like a nice truck too. Like @Steelreaper80 suggested, packing bearings is a heck of a good idea. You are gonna huff and puff and grunt when you pull those tires off, then hubs to get to the bearings - but the time spent will save you money down the road! There are TM's (Technical Manuals) that will explain how to do what needs to be done. Free Downloads here on the site in the 939 Series "Current Conflict" listing.

There is a thing called a Lube Order that is also a TM and it explains what oil and grease to use and how often. Spending time reading up on that will save you money later too. A favorite saying around here is that Grease is Cheap, Parts are Not! True saying... Nobody enjoys reading old dry books (and TM's are DRY reading!) but they will save your bacon down the road...

Being a farm truck, I imagine you already work on your own stuff. And having a wrench or two in your hand won't feel strange either... Jump on in and start your own thread with more pictures. The more you have, the more we can look - and if anything looks really good - or if something seems odd, the guys will step in and offer ideas and suggestions.

AGAIN, welcome to the group!

Last edited:

Ttallent13

Thanks for the replies. Bearings and the lube order has been done. Alternator with belt was also just changed by the previous owner along with air, oil and all the fuel filters. So far I love the truck. Love the fact that it’s simplistic to work on in a lot of ways and seems to be built like a tank. Thanks again

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks for the replies. Bearings and the lube order has been done. Alternator with belt was also just changed by the previous owner along with air, oil and all the fuel filters. So far I love the truck. Love the fact that it’s simplistic to work on in a lot of ways and seems to be built like a tank. Thanks again
Might be worth your time to make sure what has been done for sure. Crawl around. Look for grease, check the differentials. Cheaper To Keeper than to assume it was all done.

Remember the old story: Don't believe anything anybody told you and only half of what you see. Of course if that is really the case, I guess here would be pretty useless. It isn't though, but I would still check out a few things with your own hands and eyes...

Ttallent13

Oh yeah no I have been all up under it and checked every grease fitting and did an inventory of parts that have been changed. Checked filters and hoses. No leaks and anything that looks not right has been addressed. Having a farm and working on equipment I know preventative maintenance is the best way to keep machines running with less issues.

Steelreaper80

They definitely like to be worked! The more you run them, the fewer repairs I need to do. If it sits for a while, which mine only does in the winter but even then not that much it seems like it is a bear to get it back to where it was. Mine wants to GOOOOOOOO.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks