• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to Me M998 and Fun in the Snow

70deuce

Went down to Ft Carson with the M936A2 to pick up my "new" M998. Had a large recovery kit of fluids, belts and batteries. It was listed as "does not start" and I did not not get a chance to preview it. Intent was to get down there, check all the fluids and give it a good physical inspection and if it would start drive it home. Right rear tire was low so aired it up and dragged it out of the GovPlanet yard with a nylon tow strap to a parking lot across the street where we could work on it. Did the inspection. Oiled looked new, tranny fluid low, added what we had, geared drives OK, coolant low and filled that up. Master cylinder right at full point, fluid looked new also. Plugged the jumper cable in after putting two two charged batteries to replace the two dead ones (master switch left in run) bumped the starter switch and she fired right up. Good oil pressure but no charge on the alternator. We drove it around a little it operated great with very strong brakes and all lights/directionals working. We did not have enough tranny fluid to get it to the fill line and the the shopette near the yard was out so one of my fellow MVCCers who was helping with the recovery suggested we drive both rigs over to the nearest motorpool and ask for some. Jay B. (thanks to Damian also) drove the M988 (had done so in the Army) and I drove the wrecker about 4 blocks and pulled in to a unit's yard where there was a bunch of their 998's among other stuff. Jay found a First Sargent asked for and got a 5 gallon can of fluid and was told just put back what you don't use. Pretty cool pulling into their facility with our stuff. Topped it off and drove back to the parking lot we left to "hook" her up since it wasn't charging. That problem turned out to be a broken 586 circuit wire which is the field exciter circuit on that alternator. Found it broken between the alternator lug and the first connection to the trucks harness. Replaced the broken piece and it charges at 29 volts now. So all systems up and working as designed. Hooked the medium tow bar and safety chains up and zip tied my light bar to the tailgate soft top loops so we had lights/directionals and towed her home 40 miles. Looked pretty cool rolling down the interstate. The snow videos are from Saturday April 16th in the middle of what might be 20 inches of snow here just south of Denver. In HL the M988 does extremely well in the 14 inches of snow that has fallen so far.

youtu.be/JJbHIsjRKo4

youtu.be/m_cMxht9on8

Attachments

70deuce

More pics. I already had the M1101 trailer. Two different PLS rigs came through while we were working on the M988.

Attachments

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
More pics. I already had the M1101 trailer. Two different PLS rigs came through while we were working on the M988.
Score it even came with the radio tray?!!!!! Nice. I just installed my radios temporarily, after putting on an offset antenna mount. I need a another one. Antenna is rubbing through the back cover.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great photos 70deuce! I love Colorado snow. We were out in Glenwood Springs skiing over Christmas this year. Excellent use of new (to you) M998 to rescue stranded motorists. Thanks for sharing!

BTW, its 80 deg. and sunny here in Nashville today. :D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks