• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me MEP-002a Bath

BobbyT

Hey guys, I'm new to military generators, but I'm pretty technical/mechanical minded. I just obtained an 81' model 002a with ASK through GL, no idea of its internal condition. I have the ASK removed, everything looks to be in great shape, nothing obviously broken or missing and wiring looks brand new behind the panels.
When it warms up to above freezing around here, i plan on soaking it with degreaser and pressure washing it. My question is, are there any certain things i should be aware of when cleaning?
I know the obvious, like not going after the gauges and areas like that, but anything with the gen head or motor area to watch out for?

As soon as it's clean I'm going to change all filters, go through the fuel tank and all lines. Tank is actually really clean, hardly any surface rust, just discoloration from years of fuel.

Isaac-1

If you pressure wash the generator end it is important to get all the moisture out before starting it, this is best done by placing a tarp over it and putting a heater or heat lamp under the tarp for several days preferably when it is low humidity. There are also a few parts I would watch out for, like the centrifugal switch and the governor mechanism (both mounted on /through the fan shroud near the oil filter) and of course the air intake / exhaust.

Crawdaddy

If you pressure wash the generator end it is important to get all the moisture out before starting it
Why is this the case for pressure washing and not just sitting out in the rain? I don't intend to pressure wash my 003, but it does live outside in the sun and rain as of now.

BobbyT

Thanks Isaac-1, i will make sure it is all blown dry for sure. It would be a few days before i fire it up, I'm gathering the parts/fluids to replace. I take my time and do things right the first time.

Isaac-1

The problem is you need heat over time to dry out the windings if water gets on them, starting it up with moisture in the windings is a recipe for making it into a big paperweight, hence the tarp, heat, and low humidity. On the rain question these generator ends are generally designed to be rain proof (this does not count hurricanes), but pressure washers like hurricanes can get water in places where it really should not be..

BobbyT

Thanks Ahab! I've learned a lot in a short time from this forum. After seeing Jimc's awesome complete rebuilds, I've got the itch to do the same now.[thumbzup]
I've also got my eye on a M936A2 wrecker, but my better half doesn't share my enthusiasm....:) :recovry4x4:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks