• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me MEP-802 low fuel light on

Ranger Danger

I just got my 802 installed in the shipping container. When I start it, it will run between 5 and 15 min. then it shuts down and the low fuel light comes on. Its full of fuel. Any ideas why this would be happening?
I will be posting pics of this setup after I work out all the bugs.

jamawieb

Your float in the fuel tank is more than likely malfunctioning. You will have to take the back cover off where you refill the tank, to gain access to the fuel tank. The float is to the left and closest to you. Its held in with 4 screws, then disconnect the electrical connection with the quick connection and pull it out. Then do a continuity test with each float as you move them up and down. Pin 1 and 2 on the quick connection is for the aux fuel pump and pin 3&4 are for the low fuel light. The bottom float is for the low fuel fault indicator.

Ranger Danger

Ok so lets go one step farther. I want to run my genny on an external fuel tank. Can I disconnect this plug and then bypass the internal fuel tank all together and plum the fuel pump direct from the external tank?

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok so lets go one step farther. I want to run my genny on an external fuel tank. Can I disconnect this plug and then bypass the internal fuel tank all together and plum the fuel pump direct from the external tank?
I see no reason that wouldn't work. You'll just be operating with a larger fuel supply and no low fuel protection.....which to me is not a critical issue as I monitor my fuel tank/supply routinely and these sets prime up rather easily.

Keep in mind that you will have to eliminate the fuel pick up from the day tank and plumb your external source to that line directly.

Last edited:

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seems like I'm trying to reinvent the wheel over a $75 part :cookoo:
Well, it's good to know alternative operating situations. What happens when that part is not available?......and not going to be available?

Reducing the operation down to something more basic is good info to know in a pinch. The more components in any system, the more things that can go wrong. Its good to know what part/s can be safely eliminated and still maintain operability.
That fuel float module is one such part.

jamawieb

Search the part number from the GMG post and you should be able to find it for $38. It only takes about 30 minutes to replace. The hardest part is taking the 20 little bolts off the cover to take it off. LOL!
Also usually no way to fix it, just buy a new one.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,

Don't go buying one just yet.

Sometimes the floats get stuck. Open the fuel cap, remove the screen tube, reach in and manipulate the floats up and down. It could just be sticky, and needs some movement.

Guyfang

Staff member
Have you taken out the float switch yet? You haven't said so, and the conversation went straight to buying a float. Sometimes it's simply a matter or cleaning crud off the float. Might also be a good time to look see into the tank. I have had several that shutdown for junk in the tank.

Didnt see Mikes post until I sent mine.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your fault will lie with either fuel float or the float switch module. You can manually test the float as already described. There is a way to short out pins on the module to test, if you don't have other good parts to rest with.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And have you verified continued run condition by flipping the battle short before this happens, to see if the set will continue to run with the fuel light illuminated?

impi

There are two floats on this piece. The upper float activates the fuel pump that draws fuel from the auxiliary fuel source and fill up the day tank. The lower float is what triggers the low fuel light.

I opened the panel and pulled the float switch out and cleaned it out before re-installing it. I had a dicey fuel level sender that needed replacement so I was busy in there anyway.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks