• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me storage tank

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chemically removing a biofilm is challenging. I would suggest modifying a power washer wand and doing it that way.

If you decide to do a chemical clean you'll still need to do a spray ball and not just fill then tank with fluid. You need fluid flowing across the biofilm for the chemicals to do their best job.

Search for Minncare. Its a hydrogen peroxide and acidic acid solution. Its very effective on biofilms. We use it in the pharma industry on water systems. It won't damage aluminum. It will damage almost any elastomer.

Chainbreaker

You might consider using a good strong high PSI power washer with one of those rotating tips. I have used this model tip on my power washer to clean insides of non baffled tanks and it does a good job. It produces a very powerful concentrated rotating jet blast and with a good cleaner additive it will take off just about anything I have run across.

I usually start out first with an overnight soak with a liquid cleaner. As I recall the last tank I cleaned I used something like Purple Power as a first overnight soak and then attacked it with the jet wand and a cleaner solution. If that doesn't work you can always resort to using the stronger chemical cleaners by themselves.

csheath

I modeled up how I want to mount it. I just used stuff laying around to make a simple cradle. Screwed some plastic chocs onto some pieces of landscape timbers. The final resting place will be where the drums are now.
IMG_2830.JPG

I decided not to worry much about the black film inside. I have a few gallons of fuel in it with cleaning and biocide additives. I have been periodically sloshing it around and it hasn't changed much. I tried spraying as far as I could reach with a pressurized engine cleaning wand and that didn't loosen it. I scraped some off and put in a jar to try different additives on and the black particles I scraped off are remaining solid and not dissolving.

Apparently diesel trucks sometimes suffer from unburnt combustion particles making their way into the tanks via the fuel return line.

I ordered a fuel/water filter to add to the pickup and will put it in front of the pump. I haven't had to think abut that in the past since I could visually monitor my fuel condition but with this tank I won't be able to see inside easily.

I also ordered a mechanical fuel level gauge that just works with a float on a spiral to indicate level. Since the tank will just sit I am going to cut a hole in top for the gauge and glue it in with red silicone. I tested the cured silicone and diesel doesn't effect it. The longest standard length they had to fit was 20". That will leave about 8 gallons in the tank when it reads empty. I will probably cut the pickup tube about the same length to leave a sediment area in the bottom. I have my drum tube set up so they have 5 gallons left when it stops pulling fuel. I pump that last bit out with a small pump and check it for contamination.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks