• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New To MV's And FMTV's Future Purchase. Help!?

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello everyone,
First let me say that not only am I new to MV'S and FMTV's as a future owner, this is only my second forum...the first was for boats. You know, boats, the hole in the water you pour money in.
So with that said, please let me know if I'm not in the right place, area or if I make a mistake. Sorry in advance!
I have a couple of friends that have MV's and have help them out with repairs over the years. I know enough about mechanics to be dangerous, you know the shade tree kind.
Back in 2019, I decided to dip my toe in the MV ownership role and started doing some research and looking at MV's around my area/region. Of course during my research when I had questions I would go to the web and a great deal of the time it would point me to Steel Soldiers. So I started going to SS and would read as much as possible. Wow, so much information and so many opinions, that's great! This is the kind information and exchange of ideas that is exactly what I'm looking for. I was also hope to make some new friends a long the way.
So earlier this month I became a member, Yea.
Over the past 18 or so months I have looked at or called about all of the MV's I could locate in my area/region. I've looked for MV's on the web which at the top would directed me to the commercial companies that buy up MV's and flip them (...no offense intended, really!), the auctions sites (apprehensive), and then Craigslist.
After doing my research, I found that a FMTV would be right for me. I had started looking for and hoping to find a, M1087 or a M1079 but they are like looking for hens teeth. Since these are so scarce I'm now looking at M1078, M1079, M1083, M1093 or M1084. I have went to looked at several M1083, M1093's, a few M1078's, and one M1084. A few were good, some not so much. They either needed a LOT of work or were crazy in price. Of course I found numerous that were nice and reasonably priced but were so far away from me that it was not cost effective due to the transportation cost, wow!
I am completely aware of the future cost associated with a MV and have already talked with my insurance and DMV. I can do a lot of the repairs my self and I have a moderate slush fund for those repairs.
In my early years I did work for a diesel truck manufacture and was a Engine/Tester/Inspector and would repaired any issues. I also was a over the road truck driver. I still have my Class A CDL's, although you don't need a CDL to operate this truck in my state, only the correct class license. With my current occupation, I deal with CMV's on a daily basis. I'm good with mechanical and minor body work, but not so good with major body work.
My concerns at this time are getting parts for these trucks and some lack of knowledge of truck and it's the systems on a MV. I was hoping I could get some help from all the knowledgeable and experienced people on this forum.
I have found a M1084 and went to look at it. It is close enough to me that I can drive it home. It does fit my current and future plans. It has a clear title, registered to drive, all systems seem to work as required, and is in decent mechanical shape, but does needs some attention and maintenance (I did my back and belly crawl). The only concern, which is minor, is the all of the peeling paint and surface rust behind that peeling paint. I did not observed any major rust and no obvious damage.
The owner is asking $15.8K for it.
The problem I have is a hard time with price or value and that is where I need your help.
My first question, is this a good price? What would be a good offer without offending?
Your opinions?

Also, if anyone has a FMTV for sale in decent shape please let me know.

Thanks!

VertigoPilot

Hello everyone,
First let me say that not only am I new to MV'S and FMTV's as a future owner, this is only my second forum...the first was for boats. You know, boats, the hole in the water you pour money in.
So with that said, please let me know if I'm not in the right place, area or if I make a mistake. Sorry in advance!
I have a couple of friends that have MV's and have help them out with repairs over the years. I know enough about mechanics to be dangerous, you know the shade tree kind.
Back in 2019, I decided to dip my toe in the MV ownership role and started doing some research and looking at MV's around my area/region. Of course during my research when I had questions I would go to the web and a great deal of the time it would point me to Steel Soldiers. So I started going to SS and would read as much as possible. Wow, so much information and so many opinions, that's great! This is the kind information and exchange of ideas that is exactly what I'm looking for. I was also hope to make some new friends a long the way.
Over the past 18 or so months I have looked at or called about all of the MV's I could locate in my area/region. I've looked for MV's on the web which at the top would directed me to the commercial companies that buy up MV's and flip them (...no offense intended, really!), the auctions sites (apprehensive), and then Craigslist.
After doing my research, I found that a FMTV would be right for me. I had started looking for and hoping to find a, M1087 or a M1079 but they are like looking for hens teeth. Since these are so scarce I'm now looking at M1078, M1079, M1083, M1093 or M1084. I have went to looked at several M1083, M1093's, a few M1078's, and one M1084. A few were good, some not so much. They either needed a LOT of work or were crazy in price. Of course I found numerous that were nice and reasonably priced but were so far away from me that it was not cost effective due to the transportation cost, wow!
I am completely aware of the future cost associated with a MV and have already talked with my insurance and DMV. I can do a lot of the repairs my self and I have a moderate slush fund for those repairs.
In my early years I did work for a diesel truck manufacture and was a Engine/Tester/Inspector and would repaired any issues. I also was a over the road truck driver. I still have my Class A CDL's, although you don't need a CDL to operate this truck in my state, only the correct class license. With my current occupation, I deal with CMV's on a daily basis. I'm good with mechanical and minor body work, but not so good with major body work.
My concerns at this time are getting parts for these trucks and some lack of knowledge of truck and it's the systems on a MV. I was hoping I could get some help from all the knowledgeable and experienced people on this forum.
I have found a M1084 and went to look at it. It is close enough to me that I can drive it home. It does fit my current and future plans. It has a clear title, registered to drive, all systems seem to work as required, and is in decent mechanical shape, but does needs some attention and maintenance (I did my back and belly crawl). The only concern, which is minor, is the all of the peeling paint and surface rust behind that peeling paint. I did not observed any major rust and no obvious damage.
The problem I have is a hard time with price or value and that is where I need your help.
My first question, is this a good price? What would be a good offer without offending?
Your opinions?

Thanks!
Pay the man his price and be glad to have found a good running machine close to you and licensed on the road, and perhaps to found your first local resource for knowledge. In the bigger scheme of things a few thousand one way or the other going in will seem trivial. And then snatch up that M1079 box before its slips away!

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pay the man his price and be glad to have found a good running machine close to you and licensed on the road, and perhaps to found your first local resource for knowledge. In the bigger scheme of things a few thousand one way or the other going in will seem trivial. And then snatch up that M1079 box before its slips away!
Thanks for the for the help, I leaning that way. I don't think he will be able good resource, I knew more about the mechanical issues then he did.

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No sure about that truck.... but whatever FMTV you get.... if you want to turn it into a M1079..... Ive got a partially converted to camper (solar included) M1079 box for sale in southern OH
Thanks. If I find a LMTV (M1078) I'll let you know.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hello everyone,
Your opinions?

Thanks!
Welcome to the group! Heck of a bunch of nice folks here...

There are deals to be had. People purchase from Gov Planet, do some work and then "flip" those trucks. One particular guy will buy three or four trucks in pretty crummy shape - and then turn those four into maybe two trucks.

Then there are individuals who bought a truck, worked on it for years, painted it up and "made it purty". Sometimes those folks will buy a new truck and sell the old one. Just simple trading up.

MY OPINION is that you need to shop. Look here on SS in the CLASSIFIEDS. Lots of machines for sale there. There are Face Book Groups that offer up trucks for sale.

YOU are better at some things than others... Some folks fix motors. Some folks are paint and body folks. You need to buy the truck that has what you can fix - and make certain that the other things need to be in working order.

Tim

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the group! Heck of a bunch of nice folks here...

There are deals to be had. People purchase from Gov Planet, do some work and then "flip" those trucks. One particular guy will buy three or four trucks in pretty crummy shape - and then turn those four into maybe two trucks.

Then there are individuals who bought a truck, worked on it for years, painted it up and "made it purty". Sometimes those folks will buy a new truck and sell the old one. Just simple trading up.

MY OPINION is that you need to shop. Look here on SS in the CLASSIFIEDS. Lots of machines for sale there. There are Face Book Groups that offer up trucks for sale.

YOU are better at some things than others... Some folks fix motors. Some folks are paint and body folks. You need to buy the truck that has what you can fix - and make certain that the other things need to be in working order.

Tim

Thanks!
Have been watching the classifieds. Sorry, don't do social media!

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless you're planning to keep the crane, buying an M1084 to turn into a camper seems like a waste, and a shame to ruin a good M1084.

As for if $15k is a good price? That answer would be very specific to 1000 variables about the truck and you. Keep in perspective though that you're buying a $150k truck for $15k... just like your boat being a "hole to pour money into", you're going to put a ton into to get it nice again, and then a ton more to build the camper box. If you're worrying about small amounts of haggling, or a few grand to ship one across the country, etc., that seems like a small cost in a $50k+ overall problem.

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless you're planning to keep the crane, buying an M1084 to turn into a camper seems like a waste, and a shame to ruin a good M1084.

As for if $15k is a good price? That answer would be very specific to 1000 variables about the truck and you. Keep in perspective though that you're buying a $150k truck for $15k... just like your boat being a "hole to pour money into", you're going to put a ton into to get it nice again, and then a ton more to build the camper box. If you're worrying about small amounts of haggling, or a few grand to ship one across the country, etc., that seems like a small cost in a $50k+ overall problem.

I guess I should clarify something. I was looking for a M1079 and a M1087. Since I could not find one when I started looking and found they are hard to come by the wife and I purchased an RV about 8 months ago. I have since changed my perimeters in looking. So going to a troop or cargo carrier was the way to go for me now. It just so happens that the M1084 came by, and the crane is a plus. Never figures on putting any structure on top of it. With that said If I found a M1079 or a M1087 I would put great consideration in making a purchase. Like they say, plans change.

I want to thank everyone very much for your opinions.

I have made my decision. Thanks.

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have diesel skills (mechanical knowledge and logistical/fiscal experience- hey, the parts are BIG, heavy, and spendy) and are comfortable with the work, you'll probably fit in well with the LMTV's. You would be best to keep poking around until you found one which "speaks to you". I'm not sure if this specific 1084 fits that bill for you but it sounds like you'll be able to tell if you've found a good one. If you're feeling like it does, jump on in- the water is fine!

They are big machines with big price tags so they are not for the faint of heart (read: wallet), but they seemed to match up to our mission profile very well and we made the leap. It has been fun so far but I'm still in the build process and haven't spent much time with the motor running yet...

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess I should clarify something. I was looking for a M1079 and a M1087. Since I could not find one when I started looking and found they are hard to come
M1079's aren't hard to find. Yes, they were made in far fewer quantities than the M1078's, but there are plenty of them around for sale. There's a new one posted every few days on eBay, or the Facebook group... many by people who bought them with the dream of building an overland camper then ran out of interest or money. They seem to sell for 2-4x what an M1078 does.

Third From Texas

Yep. As Awesome said M1079's are somewhat common (not nearly as common as a the troop bed trucks like the M1078).

You can likely forget about an M1087. They are extremely rare (I only personally know of two in civilian hands, "Bantha" and one owned by Texas High Water Rescue). *and out there somewhere isn't a true M1087 (I'm not certain, but one truck out there wasn't a true M1087 as they placed an expandable shelter onto a 5-ton FMTV).

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
What seems to happen to happen with my trucks is that I go to fix "Thing #1" and then "Thing #2" surfaces, so it gets repaired too.

So long as you are happy turning wrenches - and occasionally get disappointed when two hours turns into five - you can have a big truck and have fun too. The more things I repair, the less often I have to do "break fix" repairs too.

The other choice is to buy a truck that has been reconditioned. Both cost money. One is a big cash payout all at once, the other is a small pile of cash and then steady stacks of cash over a longer period of time...

-

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks