• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New To MV's And FMTV's Future Purchase. Help!?

coachgeo

Nice indeed.

I have my eye on a few as alternate bug out rides in case shtf.

Of course, they aren't mine.

:)
get a barge...... big enough to drive the LMTV on.... put axles on it.. now it is your trailer AND if you feel you need to get of land.... drive truck up onto it and set off into the sunset into middle of a big lake or bayou :cool:(y)

Last edited:

D10Blazer

Hey all so I guess looks like landed in the right place, I recently just purchased an M1093. Though I feel I might have dove into a deeper hole before looking I guess I should prepare for costs. I picked up the MTV to build a HAB on the back, Currently from what I can tell the truck is missing all of the relays and fuses including the middle prop shaft. Working on having it towed from Wa to Ca now hopefully I did not end up with a vic that has a fouled/blown motor or turbo unfortunately that's the risk you take when buying from auction. Any and all help is appreciated and I will probably start a thread to keep everyone updated as I progress through the build/repairs.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hey all so I guess looks like landed in the right place, I recently just purchased an M1093. Though I feel I might have dove into a deeper hole before looking I guess I should prepare for costs. I picked up the MTV to build a HAB on the back, Currently from what I can tell the truck is missing all of the relays and fuses including the middle prop shaft. Working on having it towed from Wa to Ca now hopefully I did not end up with a vic that has a fouled/blown motor or turbo unfortunately that's the risk you take when buying from auction. Any and all help is appreciated and I will probably start a thread to keep everyone updated as I progress through the build/repairs.
Well, welcome to the outfit. Looks like you have been pushing messages. Join in the fun with some pictures when you can - and maybe we can help you locate the parts you are missing. Snap some pictures of those relays and fuses on the right side of the truck. Need to clean that board and the contacts really well. Contact Cleaner will do great wonders for that. Grabbing the electrical schematic out of the TM section will get you started on what holes maybe are "spares".

D10Blazer

Well, welcome to the outfit. Looks like you have been pushing messages. Join in the fun with some pictures when you can - and maybe we can help you locate the parts you are missing. Snap some pictures of those relays and fuses on the right side of the truck. Need to clean that board and the contacts really well. Contact Cleaner will do great wonders for that. Grabbing the electrical schematic out of the TM section will get you started on what holes maybe are "spares".
I was a sucker for a gov planet purchase ill post some up at least from what I can see from the listing. Would anyone happen to have any information regarding transport? or getting on of these moved?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I was a sucker for a gov planet purchase ill post some up at least from what I can see from the listing. Would anyone happen to have any information regarding transport? or getting on of these moved?
There is a transportation forum here. Key is to give the guys the right information to get correct pricing. From where to where and when, then if is a non-runner - say that too. Tires are pumped up and ready to roll? Things like that will help them figure out what kind of trailer they need...

D10Blazer

There is a transportation forum here. Key is to give the guys the right information to get correct pricing. From where to where and when, then if is a non-runner - say that too. Tires are pumped up and ready to roll? Things like that will help them figure out what kind of trailer they need...

ok sounds good, I posted but I will add that info.

D10Blazer

Here or some of the photos that I at least have from gov planet. A little history on myself I was a 1341 heavy equipment mechanic in the Marines and spent a lot of time around the MTV, 5 ton, 7 ton family as we used them to haul dozers, front loaders, 5k forklifts, sky tracks, etc. I am fairly familiar with the Oshkosh model of this truck as well as diesel engines, pneumatics, hydraulics, and 12/24 volt systems so other than the cost of parts and tools that I might need (outside of what I already have) I can do the labor myself of which I believe is half the fun and you should know your VIC inside and out. Odometer on the rig says it currently has 10K however who knows if that has rolled over yet, if it does have 10K I guess I am a little worried about why it was auctioned. here are some of the photos of the rig that are from the auction maybe somebody will spot something I missed hopefully if that's the case it isn't too serious. Door striker and replacing the driver window isn't a huge issue, Plug and play with the relays will be a snap with a TM and hopefully the cover has the diagram on it still. I will have to locate a drive shaft however I noticed the forward shift is there so in a pinch I might be able to move it up and down the driveway. I did notice some seepage from what looks like the turbo oil return to the oil pan, possibly fixable with a gasket but I hope that the oil I am seeing there is not from a high pressure leak which could have friend the motor in which case I guess I will have to buy another or sell this one for parts. Body, bed, and cab all look to be in great or fairly good condition considering the year. tires have CTS connections but no CTS on board... Shame but one less thing I need to worry about. I appreciate everyone here and the friendly community thank you all for the input and help, let's work to save another M1093.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Here or some of the photos that I at least have from gov planet. A little history on myself I was a 1341 heavy equipment mechanic in the Marines and spent a lot of time around the MTV, 5 ton, 7 ton family as we used them to haul dozers, front loaders, 5k forklifts, sky tracks, etc. I am fairly familiar with the Oshkosh model of this truck as well as diesel engines, pneumatics, hydraulics, and 12/24 volt systems so other than the cost of parts and tools that I might need (outside of what I already have) I can do the labor myself of which I believe is half the fun and you should know your VIC inside and out. Odometer on the rig says it currently has 10K however who knows if that has rolled over yet, if it does have 10K I guess I am a little worried about why it was auctioned. here are some of the photos of the rig that are from the auction maybe somebody will spot something I missed hopefully if that's the case it isn't too serious. Door striker and replacing the driver window isn't a huge issue, Plug and play with the relays will be a snap with a TM and hopefully the cover has the diagram on it still. I will have to locate a drive shaft however I noticed the forward shift is there so in a pinch I might be able to move it up and down the driveway. I did notice some seepage from what looks like the turbo oil return to the oil pan, possibly fixable with a gasket but I hope that the oil I am seeing there is not from a high pressure leak which could have friend the motor in which case I guess I will have to buy another or sell this one for parts. Body, bed, and cab all look to be in great or fairly good condition considering the year. tires have CTS connections but no CTS on board... Shame but one less thing I need to worry about. I appreciate everyone here and the friendly community thank you all for the input and help, let's work to save another M1093.
On the whole, it is a good looking truck! Really great that you have wrench and driving skills. With that and a little help from here hopefully you can be rolling soon. It looks like somebody robbed all the breakers and relays in your truck. If nothing else, at least you won't have to worry about mixing up what goes where (Duh!). We have a few guys that buy and strip trucks, so that might be the most economical way to get all the breakers in one buy.

Everyone has an opinion, but CTIS seems to be a "fickle" thing at best. Might be that you have everything but the controller - and we have guys that know how to program the programmables and sell parts too. There is even a way to have a manual control rather than the 4 button box. Instructions are in the forum.

Wouldn't worry too much about the mileage. Guy here just purchased a HETT that had 6800 miles on the odometer. That truck looked brand spanking new! Several MTV's recently came this direction with under 15k miles on them and minor effort brought them to life.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have your driveshaft still put aside. Do you want to hold off to see what else I might have that you need?

D10Blazer

On the whole, it is a good looking truck! Really great that you have wrench and driving skills. With that and a little help from here hopefully you can be rolling soon. It looks like somebody robbed all the breakers and relays in your truck. If nothing else, at least you won't have to worry about mixing up what goes where (Duh!). We have a few guys that buy and strip trucks, so that might be the most economical way to get all the breakers in one buy.

Everyone has an opinion, but CTIS seems to be a "fickle" thing at best. Might be that you have everything but the controller - and we have guys that know how to program the programmables and sell parts too. There is even a way to have a manual control rather than the 4 button box. Instructions are in the forum.

Wouldn't worry too much about the mileage. Guy here just purchased a HETT that had 6800 miles on the odometer. That truck looked brand spanking new! Several MTV's recently came this direction with under 15k miles on them and minor effort brought them to life.
That's what I am hoping for, in looking at all of the hoses, places that seal with gaskets, and belts everything looks to be in decent shape other than the Turbo drain tube, hell even the oil filter was changed in June 2019. Fingers crossed. When I noticed that the relays were gone I figured it was just an easy pilfer that someone probably took a crack at as they are always useful. My biggest issue is just getting it down to Cali and getting it running ASAP as I am moving out to Utah and this will be my " farm" truck / "overland vehicle. I wanted to build a HAB but figured it easier to find a 5th wheel or towable camper and just chain it or weld it to the bed IDK which direction I want to go yet.

D10Blazer

I have your driveshaft still put aside. Do you want to hold off to see what else I might have that you need?
Oh Dang!! that is exciting I half expected it to sell, If you can that would be a huge help but I do understand you have to make money and if you need to sell it I understand. However if you can hold onto it and I can put a larger order in that would also greatly help out thank you.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Oh Dang!! that is exciting I half expected it to sell, If you can that would be a huge help but I do understand you have to make money and if you need to sell it I understand. However if you can hold onto it and I can put a larger order in that would also greatly help out thank you.
@wheelspinner might be a good source for the relays and circuit breakers that you need as well...

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wouldnt it be cheaper to haul it back south than to tow it they usally want to be paid both ways

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks