• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new to painting

BenRoberts

Certified insane
I will be painting the 923 this spring. I will be buying the cheap-o harbor freight gun and more than likely using the behr paint. With being new to any sort of painting does the paint get cut with thinner like automotive paint or is it a poor and go.

wilfreeman

I can tell you that it needs to be cut a lot using a regular paint gun with a 1.7mm nozzle. I'm sure a 2mm would be better, but I didn't see one at Harbor Freight. The gun also needs more cleaning using Behr - a regular gun with a smaller nozzle starts spraying weird very quickly. I am in the process of restoring a USMC M38a1 and have been spraying small stuff and parts of the interior. Very impressed with the paint and finish (OD 24052 semi gloss), but I am thinking about trying an electric sprayer.

Here's the blog about restoring my jeep: http://m38a1usmc.wordpress.com

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

wilfreeman

Yeah, I practised on the small parts and floor before I painted the dash. Turned out pretty good - as good as my Gillespie on my other Jeep! I'm sold.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

big block 88

I typically set my gun on a piece of card board for a good wide low pressure patern. And then i get familiar with the gun on small parts or wheels or chassis then move onto the good stuff that shows. Make sure to overlap the passes, i use about a 30% overlap of the previous pass. The tough parts are places like the nose where the headlight buckets are at it takes patients and multiple passes and angling of gun to get into all the corners and crevises.

18operator

I did my M35 with Rapco 383 ( 2 gallons ). I also cut it with xylene. 4 part paint to one part xylene. I also used the cheapo harbor freight paint gun kit. Hvlp.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks