• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to site and the world of military vehicles.

frznamn

Hello everyone, I'm looking to get into a cucv by the end
of next year can't decide what would be a good daily to start with. I've owned a 85 1 ton with a 454 that had glasspacks dump at the end of the cab and spend time in 99L HMMWVs so noise isn't a issue. Between the 1008 and 1009 in your honest opinion which would be the best daily? And to have space can a 1009 handle trailer towing fairly well for a small to medium size trailer? The last thing is I'm partial to manual trans and would like to know if manual swaps would be worth the time for a 5 or 6 speed to have over drive or would a 4 speed with no overdrive be the better option?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
First off, welcome to the site. Second, try posting in the cucv forum, not the deuce. Third, I'd say 1009 for a daily driver since it has better road gears, especially if your gonna put a manual in it!

frznamn

Ya, I miss my 86 s10 and my 85 k30. The cucv is nice for the simplicity compared to new vehicles and better fuel consumption over big blocks.

frznamn

Ya, the 1009 will probably ride smoother with lighter suspension and the short wheel base will make it easier to get around on the daily. I'm really hoping my plan works out and I have one by the start of spring.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it were me, I would buy one from one of the guys/gals on this site that
has gone over it and fixed any major problems, so you can drive it home
safely.
Just my two cents.

Skinny

I like the M1009 but it has two major flaws both of them being 10 bolts stuffed with 3.08 gears. Get a real truck with 8 lugs, match the tire size to how fast you need to go :)

frznamn

I know the 85 4 door long bed was pike that when I had it but the extra length made it less noticeable. The 10 bolts would be a concern if I was planning a offroader build but I'm looking more at light trail and camping use and I think the 10's would be plenty for that. As far as gears I can address those with time cause I'm thinking with the low power and max tire size of 33x12.50 a powerlock front and rear would be a choice little setup.

Assel

Welcome to the site!

I have a M1009 and use it as daylie sometimes, if your ok with the sound inside the cab I think its a great vehicle. due to its 3.08 gears it gets a really high fuel mileage, a M1008 with same tire size (I have 33x12.5s on it, thats also the biggest size you can put on without a lift!) would get like 15-16 mpg, the M1009 gets around 20 to 22 (only highway use) if its in good condition. If you need 4x4 but dont look to hardcore offroading the M1009 will still be quite good, mine even hasn´t the rear locker anymore, but I think it does well offroad.

If you really need to tow, the M1008 is the way to go - the M1009s trailer hitch is only rated for 750kg! ..you can put a civi one and go for 3000-4500lbs towing capacity but thats it.

frznamn

I had a 1985 civilian model with the exhaust cut right behind the cab and it had a 7.4L gas motor so needless to say it was loud and I drove it daily. I will be using it about a 70/30 split of highway and city. 33's are the biggest I'd go cause I don't wanna have to climb into something that is daily drive, my 85 had 6 to 8 inch's of lift when I bought it. As for the towing its just gonna be a ATV or dirt bike and for the occasional helping someone move something that you need a truck or trailer for.

Ordak

I am in favor of m1009 because I own one. If you are going to be putting 33s on you will most likely need to either trim the fenders or put a lift kit on. I am having 32s put on mine because i do not want to lift or trim the fenders. Also as far as you say for towing a small trailer a m1009 will work. I also put on a external transmission cooler(into oem cooler to external and back to transmission) to keep the tranny cool when towing. I have a 10' single axle trailer I use to haul my zero turn mower and I use my m101a1 trailer for my quad and everyday cargo. I would suggest if you are towing get a class III receiver because I do not trust the stock pintle hitch (if you plan on buying a m101 trailer) and get a 4 pin trailer connector for your other trailers. I have not done it but if you want to keep the NATO trailer plug just get a "t-adapter" that goes into your tail lights or a T for the NATO plug connector (the connector is behind the rear bumper in the middle).

https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-4111...hevrolet:k5+blazer&keywords=trailer+connector

frznamn

The trans cooler is something that would be on my list to do, I might just run one aftermarket cooler and delete the stock one for simplicity. Would there be any benefit to the 33's over the 32's? As far as trailer wiring that will depend on what's done to the 1009 that I manage to get my hands on depending on if its stock or already modified.

Ordak

I would recommend against running just an external cooler because these transmission run hot and according to some of topics I read on here the OEM transmission cooler heats up the coolant when warming up. I previously installed transmission lines and they were a pain in the rear. The install on my external cooler only took about an hour. The only advantage I see to running 32s over 33s is that you most likely will not have to trim the fenders or lift to make room for them. I am not an expert but I have done a bunch of research on this site and talked to some old school gm guys when I was looking to purchase and buy my m1009.

frznamn

Guess I'll just add a secondary cooler to help the factory one. I surfed around on the internet and found that 31 or 32 tires on a 15 inch rim only come in c load ranges so I'm probably gonna look at a 285/75R16 that federal cougaria that according to the site measures in at 32.9 x 11.1 so I have a e series and see how that fits and if I need a little lift get a 2 inch lift for it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks