• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to site - looking for off-road dump truck

Scout

New to this site and military vehicles. I've always been drawn to these OD green monsters and appreciated their total function-over-form attitude. Been looking for an excuse, and now I think I may be able to justify one.

I have a farm and a couple of medium duty dump trucks - a '76 Chevy that's pretty beat (not worth anything but it runs), and a very clean 1976 IH Loadstar 1600 that I'm considering selling so I don't destroy it. I want a truck I can overload with wet dirt rolling off the sides and not break springs. It will never be highway driven, so the sky's the limit on weight. Also will do some logging with it.

1) How heavy of a chassis should I be looking for? I'm trying to spend as little as possible, but it needs to do the job. Will a deuce do it, or should I be looking at 5 or 10 ton trucks? I think bigger is better, but what is the cost? My current IH Loadstar is registered for 33k, and I'm sure I've surpassed that off road. I want to be able to handle at least that much.

2) I don't care about rarity, historical relevance, etc. I want the most common, economical, easiest to work on/get parts as possible. What vintage / mfr / engine should I be looking for?

3) What is the cheapest way to get a truck and what's the tradeoff for risk? being new to this, should I be considering GL? I'm an IH enthusiast and do my own mechanical work on our trucks and farm equipment, and I'm somewhat experienced with auctions, so I'm not afraid to go the auction route.

Thanks for the anticipated replies. I am excited about this, but need to educate myself before attempt to buy anything.

nosliw

scout,

i haul 8k on a regular basis with mine and it shows no fear. it would probably be capable of a lot more. i can REALLY feel the weight in the turns. the truck has no problems pulling it.

I had a C60 chevrolet hauling the same 8k and would have to downshift into "bulldog" when i came up my driveway. the deuce with handle it in 2nd gear high range and not flinch.

I lucked up and found a gentleman off steel soldiers that was within short distance of me and had just picked one up and offered it for sale. he drove it home about 60 miles. the price i paid was, i'm sure, more than i could have picked one up off GL, i'm sure I paid more for it than he did, but for the lack of time I had involved in kicking tires, wondering what I was getting, driving one hundreds of miles home, waiting on clearance to pick one up etc etc...

it was money WELL spent. i have no problem paying for a good service, which is exactly what I was provided with.

i'm as cheap as the day is long, and i'd say picking up a deuce as a general "haul anything" farm vehicle, you can't go wrong. i work full time and farm, well, full time too i guess. i use my deuce for hauling water. greenhouse, cattle, cistern, etc.

i'm not sure how "rare" the dump model M35s are. I'm pretty green to this myself. they are most likely going to sell for a lot higher than a standard M35A2 with troop seats.

i'd buy one for general farm work and wouldn't second guess it.

well....if the price was right. :-D

Last edited:

neb4x4

Hello, I'm pretty new to the MV, and this site myself... But not new to farming/machines/equiptment, etc.... I have personally hauled about 10,000 lbs in gravel in my M35A2, with no prolbems, and a load of firewood that almost pored over the wood sides.

There is a thread on here somewhere that I read. A guy had a dump M35 and showed pictures of him stuck in the mud in his yard. But don't let that scare you.... He said that he had like some 44,000 lbs of rock or something like that in it...!!!! Don't quote me on the LBS!!!

They are very simple to work on I think. I have worked for 8 years at GM dealership, then on the side I am a half-ass farmer with many pieces of equiptment.

GO FOR A DEUCE or 5 ton!!!!!!!!!

Scout

So the M35's do not have power steering? I don't think that's going to cut it in the woods.

My payload will probably be more in the 20,000# range.

It also looks like I will find a 5 ton in dump truck configuration much easier than a 2-1/2 ton.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If grossly overloaded off road (which 20,000lbs is) a deuce tends to start breaking springs and axles. That's what the loggers that use then around here tell me. I think a 5-ton will be more suited to your needs.

Chevytruck

there are kits to allow the M35A2 to have power steering, however with the weight your planning stick with a 5 ton.

the m35a3 have power steering standard however they cost a lot! and do not look good compared to a deuce.

good luck on your quest
:-D

tm america

here's a little load about 35000 . i had it stacked over the roof with sand tail gate down. no problems :-Dalso i drug a d8 with a bucket on the front about 1.5 miles couldnt believe it did it .all it would do is spin the tires when it wasnt loaded .the last 1/4 mile was sand it was digging down to the diffs but didnt get stuck i dont know how:roll:

Attachments

abh3

I've grossed 34k hauling dolomitic limerock on my M35 w/ 5 Ton dumpbed (see avatar). Now before people whine, this is only a short distance run down almost deserted country roads from lime-pit to my farm/timberland. The lack of power steering isn't that big a deal offroad IF you are moving, I select low range as soon as I go through the gate.

If you are hauling everyday, all day, for hire and will get inspected/weighed go with the 5 ton, if you are just part time, have farm tags like me, etc a Deuce may do the job for you...