• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to SS and hobby from N. VA

hmsgoodhope

Hello all,

I just made my first purchase - a M1031 Cargo Carrier and an M101 trailer at the auction at Ft. Meade. :shock: (Deer in headlamps).

Now the fun begins! I am looking for a garage in N. VA where I can get basics done to truck and discuss restoration activities. Money is always an object but my goal is to have the truck operational (in good running condition) by the fall. I would very much like to arrest / fix any all rust if budget allows and start to think about paint job - I hope to have a long term partnership with garage I find. The M101 does have some rust and will need some metal work. I want to have it fully gone over, all parts made working, sand blast frame/body, red oxide undercoat, and then paint. Less the sand blasting I was thinking of doing this myself as my intro to the hobby. I would appreciate your thoughts on sandblasting/painting and am reading threads on this in SS and else where.

Best regards,

HMSGOODHOPE, N. VA

onegmjack

Welcome to the site.I live close to South West VA. if you were closer I could make suggestion on repair shops.Good luck on your new green things.

e551098

Welcome to the area! Around here the only shop that even knows what you have is Master Mechanic in Chantilly, VA. Stop by and talk to Don. Very nice guy and knows his stuff abou MV's.

As for paint I got my stuff done at Alban Cat in Sterling, VA but the Deuce is just a big bigger.......

Almost any body shop would be able to help with the M1031. One of the best paint shops is D&V Auto Body, but I will tell you right now they are not cheap at all. But highest show quality work.

Look forward to seeing you around.

-Jonathan

HeadWizard

Welcome!

At least I didn't have to promote myself in this post, E551098 did it for me above.

We're happy to handle all things mechanical - body and paint.... that's another issue.

Don

CGarbee

Welcome, and Congratulations on the new ride!

If you are new to the hobby and in NoVA, you might want to consider joining a bunch of us in Syria (Madison County), VA over the Labor Day weekend (Sept 2-6, 2010 to be exact) for some trailriding/fellowship/food/parts trading, etc.

Info on the gathering can be found in a thread in the events section at:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/steel-...ginia-graves-mtn-rally-labor-day-weekend.html

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks