• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to SS

Hpdb301

Hi guy's/gal's I'm new to SS and hope I'm welcome here. I don't really have a real MV but I have been building a reproduction of a FAV. Its not exact, but its as close as I can with my budget, knowledge, and tools. I hope you guys dont mind me loitering around your site! I am extremely jealous of all you with your true MV's. It just hasn't been in the cards for me to get a true one. Anyway I hope you like my ride and like where I'm headed with it! I'll show you some pic's of my journey thus far with my FAV or DPV, understand I still have a long way to go, but its coming around finally. Things I've done thus far, add military tail/brake/turn housing w/ir. Intercom system, shotgun rack, side baskets, new paint, got the motor running, lots of engine work (all but completely rebuilt), CB with 9ft military whip with stand. This is my 1st time to ever weld or work on a motor, so I'm excited everything is working out, because I've done every bit of work thus far (got to love VW's). In the process of building a front bumper & headlamp guards, complete with front skid plate. Also have tires & wheels on the way. Work time is slow, but moving faster now that she's home.

Last edited:
Hpdb, thats a great project, and im sure will be a blast when done!! i always loved the FAV buggys since i was a kid. most of my friends have or had railbuggys, and its amazing how capable they are offroad. we go to a place here in Ohio called Wellsville, and ive seen them do some truly incredible things, esp whn you consider what car most started life as. hope you intend to use yours for what theyre meant for, and get out there n get dirty!! keep updating us with your progress, and check out Wellsville on YouTube, or go to WWW.Wellsvilletrails.com for some inspiration or just for entertainment. you may even find you want to take a trip up here for a weekend trailbashing session. if you do, you got a group to camp with here, and i'll have a couple of MV's that'll make that buggy feel right at home!!

jamesfrom180

ditto, that is one project I've always wanted to take on. Grew up just south to the UDT museum in Ft. Pierce they have one outside. Welcome, I don't think having a MV is at all required to enjoy this site.

Hpdb301

Thanks for the warm welcome!!! As far as the buggy goes, as long as you can keep the parts on it, it will run like a scalded dog!!!!! and go up and through anything!!! I want something more eye catching and love the FAV concept. So I thought that since, I had a short framed rail that could handle wooded trails at high speed, i'd go ahead make it an all in one vehicle. Now I can take one vehicle capable of taking me to a camping location of my choice! road or no road!!! Anyway Thanks guys great site, seen a lot of nice vehicles and a lot of dream rides!

jollyroger

I didn't read anywhere that it is required for you to own an MV to be a member of the SS site.

You should just be an enthusiatic type of person when it comes to having the OD iron disease. Once you catch OD iron fever, embrace your plight. Don't seek a cure......There is no known cure. There is merely treatment. And that treatment consists of parousing the SS site. Talking with like minded people. And last but not least, scratching the itch to own every type of military vehicle and related equipment in mass quantiites.........So, build your large 6 bay shop with 14 foot X 14 foot doors. Buy some property outside of town so you can "collect" and not be bothered by pesky HOA's and zoning regulation.:grd:

Above all, welcome to the SS site and please enjoy what we all have to offer.

Oh to be a newbie again.......The fun you are going to have.;-)