• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to Steel Soldiers

Boxdoc1960

Hi all. I’m new to the board. I just bought an “86” M1028 from GL which brought me here. I’ve already learned a lot reading different posts in trying to figure out how to get it from MD to Ohio.

I’m not sure yet what to do. I have a 1500 Dodge Ram I could flat tow it with but I’d need a hitch and would have to make the tow bar. I contacted one of the companies in the area and requested a quote on delivering it here but I’m pretty sure that isn’t going to be economical. The other option would be to take my son along and drive it back but without having it inspected, I don’t think that would be such a good idea either.

Any suggestions would be appreciated since my wife is going have a cow when she finds out I bought it. Thanks for all the good information.

Boxdoc

littlebob

A couple years ago a neighbor had to move a vehicle and rented a towbar from U-haul. I don't know if putting the tranfercase in neutral would allow towing it without disconnecting the driveshafts or not.

littlebob

Boxdoc1960

I have over 400+ miles to go so I'd have to disconnecting the drive shafts according to different post on the board. Besides, that's not the problem as much as the cost of the hitch and building the tow bar, gas and a hotel. Not to mention taking a day off work.

I just got off the phone with my wife. She's not happy with me right now:roll:

Boxdoc1960

Driving it home may be my best option. Any advice on what I should be looking for? I'm a mechanical engineer so checking it out isn't a problem if I know what to look for. I don't have much experience with diesels.:oops:

HeadWizard

I have over 400+ miles to go so I'd have to disconnecting the drive shafts according to different post on the board. Besides, that's not the problem as much as the cost of the hitch and building the tow bar, gas and a hotel. Not to mention taking a day off work.

I just got off the phone with my wife. She's not happy with me right now:roll:
1- Go to uship.com and sign up. It's a site that matches transportation needs with shippers.

2- Call Sarah Dutton, the site manager at Ft. Meade and talk REALLY NICE to her. She might go out and try to start and/or drive your truck around the lot. She's about the BEST site manager GL has. Be aware that Murphy spends a lot of time waiting for us SS members to ride with on the way home on our recoveries. What's it going to cost if you break on the way home? 2cents

3- The wife. If you're like most of us, this is only your first of MANY pieces of green iron you will acquire. Get used to the occasional unhappiness - the green iron makes up for it :-D

jfnemt1ff1

:wink:Go to uhaul and rent a car dolly, tell them its is a full size chev truck. Should not be that much money. and like said above the wife will come around when you start getting more.
John

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I wouldn't want to pull a CUCV on a trailer behind a 1500, but I wouldn't be afraid of towbaring it.

Honestly, now that you have the green sickness, it's only a matter of time before you get a Deuce, so you might as well go ahead and buy a medium towbar. Get a pintle hitch for your Ram's receiver, pull the driveshaft(s) and towbar that sucker. Just don't go fast.

Medium towbar's can be found in various places (eBay, SS wanted ads, etc).

Welcome to SS!

SR71BLACKBIRD

Welcome boxdoc. Im in galion. I take it you are not interested in having it hauled. May be cheaper in the long run. Day off work, tow bar cost, gas, food, hotel, Possible mechanical trouble? I can get you a quote from somone who is willing to pick it up at the base and bring it to you if you want.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site there Sir! Might I suggest shopping for a member who can pick it up and hold it for a while, maybe even see about running it. If it's a runner I'd just be concerned with the rear driveshaft being bent as it seems to be common practice for the forklift operators. Driving it back seems to be the best option for you as the cost of adding a hitch to your truck, gathering up or building a towbar and the fuel could easily outcost commercial transportation.

oilcan

You might could come down and borrow my towbar and hitch, but you'll have to supply your own towing lights. I loaned 'em out a while back and haven't arranged to get the set back yet.

If you do flat tow, leave plenty of room up front. I had a 1009 push my 3/4 ton around a bit while I was getting used to it.

Boxdoc1960

Galion, small world. I'll have to come over some time and check out your deuce. Looks nice. What do you do with her? I joined the NWODF recently. That's what got me started.:-D

I'm getting a quote on having it hauled. That way I have all options available.

Thanks

kipman

Oilcan, are you still alive or is that your evil twin? welcome to the club Boxdoc1960, my brother oldgrunt and myself are in Lancaster, just won a 1009 at wright pat, let me know if we can help.:idea:

EnteJager

I rented a 10 ton, 18'x7" car trailer. Ran $75 per day and I had to buy a 2 5/8
ball. Trailer was great.

MadWooter

I just got an M1008 myself. I only had about 100 miles to take it, and I could have borrowed a Ram 1500 from a friend to pull it, but I couldn't locate any trailers heavy enough. I think for that long pull you'll want to disconnect the drive shafts. Oh, and be careful that nothing is wrong with the axles or brakes. The drums on mine were way over adjusted (might have been pushed backwards with the P brake on) and now I'm glad I didn't try to pull it. I bit the bullet and just had a tow company get it with a rollback, but I'm not sure if you can do that with your distance. If something is seized, particularly with the rear brakes, you'll be having some fun sorting it out without a heavy jack and the right tools with you. Good luck with it!