• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to Steelsoldiers and pending EUC a HMMWV owner

jeffy777

I just looked it over. It looks great! It looks to me you may need to adjust or repair alternator/voltage regulator. I suspect when you go to pick it up you may need a jump. As 3jacks said your drivers side rear gear hub has a leak. You will not want it to look at TM-9-2320-280-20-2 on page 6-16 it will be the start of understanding working on this system. In that same manual is some of the information on your alternator on page 4-12.5.

For general knowledge your will want to read TM-9-2320-280-10. These can be found here on Steel Soldiers tech manuals.

Congratulations.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from Central FL!! I have a couple ounces of advice for you. Join the First FL Chapter MVPA and get a hold of Fred Perkins' crew in SE FL. Fred is a great guy with a lot of resources.

Black paint on any vehicle in FL is brutally HOT. My wife's 2005 Tahoe PPV is black. She LOVES the truck and HATES the color. She badly wants it repainted. The interior temperature is stifling when she parks the truck anywhere without shade. Repainting your HMMWV black would make that truck insanely HOT to drive most of the year.

Have fun with your new-to-you truck!!! :driver::beer:

Stonewall

Welcome from IL. Nice looking MV. Definitely read the sticky notes at the top of the forum, and go through and do your maintenance first, before driving it around much. Get ready to open your wallet and let the money fly/drive away. With all the recent demand, parts and accessories have gone through the roof.

whelmed

Been doing a lot more reading and now am nervous about the divider in the hardtop. I had assumed that it was (relatively) easy to move it back to make this a 4-door version. One page I stated it's near impossible to move the divider in the hard tops which are factory installed. Anyone able to comment on that?

dmetalmiki

Nice truck, a good acquisition for a first truck..welcome to the hobby. As mentioned previously post up some pictures of project progress.

the odiegreen

Hello all. Hope to be picking up my 998 in a couple of weeks. It's my first humvee but I'm not new to the olive drab. I can't wait to get into this truck and pick yalls brains. IMG_0111.jpg

whelmed

Bah - anyone have hints on how to get over EUC anxiety? Been 62 days so far and no word. I nudged GP and they said patience, can take 12+ weeks... I've watched as deals have gone by scared to jinx my purchase.

Reading tons more about everything though. This is most certainly not going to be a cheap hobby to bring it up the level I would like to see it at. Thinking of starting of with the minimum maintenance and just some sort of AC kit for now.

Wire Fox

Bah - anyone have hints on how to get over EUC anxiety? Been 62 days so far and no word. I nudged GP and they said patience, can take 12+ weeks... I've watched as deals have gone by scared to jinx my purchase.

Reading tons more about everything though. This is most certainly not going to be a cheap hobby to bring it up the level I would like to see it at. Thinking of starting of with the minimum maintenance and just some sort of AC kit for now.
Same as any kind of anxiety for me: do something else. Usually when I hit a waiting wall on one hobby, I use that as an opportunity to side-step over to another hobby of mine. Mostly that just has me shifting back and forth from HMMWV to amateur radio.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
whelmed - I have factory A/C in my M1009. It blows really cold at the vents. The problem I have is that the interior is a greenhouse with no insulation. It takes A LONG time for the A/C to cool off the interior, especially if I park the truck in the sun. Parking it in the shade helps, but back seat passengers roast regardless. I would love to insulate the entire cab including the fiberglass cap to help the A/C work more efficiently. I explain all of this to you in hopes that it provides you additional insight. Investing in a red dot kit without insulating the interior is like fighting a losing battle with the heat. Figure out a way to insulate every inch of the interior of your HMMWV, including the doors (if possible). Find out how civilian H1's are insulated and come up with a financially feasible plan for installing something similar. Focusing on that research project will help take your mind off of the nail-biting wait for the EUC. :)

twisted60

I find shopping (also know as retail therapy) to be a good way to pass the time, start picking up parts when you find them at a reasonable price, even if you don't need them now. I bought a number of parts for my 5 ton that I did not need at the time but over the last 2 years I have needed most of them. I am starting to pick up parts now for my (EUC pending) M998.

To comment on the topic of insulating your HMMWV, I am looking at Lizard Skin, they make a sound dampening and a insulating product, spray-on that I plan to apply to floor boards, firewall, tunnel and doghouse, basically all metal surfaces where heat and noise can come from, as for the top I am looking at probably putting a 1/4' plywood sheet between the B pillar and the soft top with an insulating blanket attached. Just an idea you may want to look into.

whelmed

Approved!! Wowza, was figuring that was the end of it when the time ticked on. Just gotta choose shipper and get things on, woohoo!! Keyed ignition is the first thing to buy on the list followed by seats. I really want a rear bench and I think I'm willing to pay the cash required to get it. Think they range from $1600-2200 for the complete kit of 5 seats and bench.

Other than govplanet which has a lot of different seats, anyone have recommendations for complete seat swap-out? I've seen some threads talk about a CJ bench or Suzuki bench but then there also seems to be a lot of work required to getting those to fit. Would rather just buy everything in one go.

twisted60

Whelmed, as it appears you are in Fl, and I assume you are getting the former military plate, you might want to wait until after DMV "inspects" you HMMWV to make any big changes like a seat..

PM me if you have questions