• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to the boards

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will need to get someone else to verify this, but I think if you register your 5ton as a former military vehicle, you do not need a CDL because it falls under the RV classification. Don't quote me on this, but I think this is true.
Under Former MV it is still a truck and weight classifications apply. For a 5-ton you don't need an actual commercial license, but still need a Class A. That has basically the same requirements to get as a CDL, but you can't haul anything for hire (and that means any kind of fee or benefit).
The big difference is how much you pay and the rules, Class A costs the same as a regular DL and you can still take defensive driving for tickets, etc.

Before someone jumps in with the rules for State-X, we are specifically talking Texas here.

Cheers

Last edited:

ford

Thanks for the info Rory.

I think I will be sticking with the 2.5 ton. I don't want to deal with massive parts...more than whats found on the 2.5. I also don't want to have to deal with trying to find parts for something that is more rare. Just seems like too much of a hassle. I won't ever use the additional towing capacities of the 5 ton and I will prefer the mpg of the 2.5 over the 5 ton.

Preacherboy

You should be able to add a second fuel tank on the deuce where the spare tire and pioneer rack would normally go to give you an extra 50 gallons (that is my plan), and then another auxilery tank in the bed to give you as much as you want. Of course, you can also add jerry cans all over the truck.

Single out the tires and even add air assist power steering and you'd have yourself an awesome vehicle. Get all the tools you need for repair on board and work up a fording kit and it is ready to go anywhere.

ford

Thanks for the advice! Thats exactly where I am planning to put the extra fuel. And I was just reading through some posts on adding the air-o-matic. I think after singles and air assist, the fording kit was next on the list.

I have most of the tools already that I would need to work on it. Might need a bigger impact wrench though. Plus, its another reason to get another one :) I was also reading up on running 12V items off the 24v system. Ill need to set something like that up since all my bigger tools run off batteries and I would like to be able to charge them on-board. I read through the wiki and read about the need for some larger tools. I would love to just buy a whole new set just for the Deuce's onboard tool kit!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks