• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to the Deuce world

6x6XL

Hello all, as the title stated, im new to the deuce world. ive just purchased a 1951 m135 with the flat bed. The truck was formerly a forest service truck. the bed is rusted from a water tank but the cab is in beautiful condition. im active duty Air Force and live in South Dakota. ive spent my whole turning wrenches so this truck represents a new chapter in my world. thank you

nattieleather

Welcome. The GMCs are fun trucks and you should have a blast. Just don't expect to keep up with traffic on the interstate. These are from a time when everyone traveled slower.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome! We pass thru Box elder a few times every year. There is usually something green involved. My M220 came from Meade County SD. Then it spent a winter in Custer SD before the trek to Wisconsin.
When did you get this truck, and where did you actually find it? I saw one go to auction last week in Custer. Had someone who was gonna bid for me, but with the cost of hauling, I could not justify very much $.
Anyway, I know of a few trucks in your area. I could possibly share some details... IF YOU POST SOME PICTURES!

6x6XL

thanks for the replies. ill get a few pictures up here soon, its been a 12hour work day week. This truck came from a friend of mine via the forestry service. it was used to control wild fires. the cab is in great shape but the bed had a water buffalo in it so its pretty rotten. The motor has got a little valve cover leak. the transmission has the REB shift kit (manual valve) and was converted to ATF. The front bumper is gone because they had a cat walk on the front with a water cannon on it. I don't expect a hot rod for sure, but this GMC is a blast to drive. the looks I get when I go down the road are great, especially when I go through the front gate on base lol.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice Unit! There are 3 trucks at a salvage yard in Edgemont SD. They have your bumper parts and frame stubs. Bring a gallon of homemade cookies, a sawzall and generator. Watch out for his dog, it will get in your truck and do whatever it wants. Be scared of it.
There is another in Newcastle WY on Old Hwy 85 just south of town. It has your hardtop. You can make the round trip in a couple hours or three.

AvrgJoe

Welcome to the site, great bunch of guys and lots of help when you need it.

Had to look twice at the roof of your truck in that second picture;-)

6x6XL

Thanks everyone. Thanks hendersond for the info! I definitely am trying to get my hands on a hard top! As for the roof. this one was gone, which is fine in the summer, so I threw that together out of some wood I have in the shop. its not permanent but works for keeping the weather out. I have a oil canvas tent im going to use for the seat covers and a soft top for the summer.

Anyone know a good place to get a new rear main seal for the engine? the cord material isn't swelling back up very well and its leaking more than id like. I know the job is a pain, but it needs to be done.

Thanks again!

6x6XL

hendersond...do you have any contact info for any of those guys? id like to make a couple calls before trucking down there. thanks again!

USMC 00-08

Anyone know a good place to get a new rear main seal for the engine? the cord material isn't swelling back up very well and its leaking more than id like. I know the job is a pain, but it needs to be done.

Thanks again!
The part number for the rear main seal is FPG BS5974 at NAPA. I need to change mine out as well in the near future.

Our trucks look almost like the very same one with the color.

100_1963.jpg