• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new to the deuce

lesslethal

Greetings all. Thanks so much for the info, as I've been reading for several weeks as I try to learn and (hopefully) make good vehicle decisions. I have a 1971 a2 that I put on craigs list this week--in preparation of getting an a3 that I have in bound....now based on some issues raised by many of you, I'm rethinking getting rid of the a2. it is a past fire department truck, red, with 34,000 miles and in perfect running and appearance condition. I am getting the a3 in kind (given to me for teaching a class for the agency that has it), so I don't need to sell the A2 to pay for the A3. both trucks have winches. the a2 is hard top, and the a3 is in excellent condition, with 14,000 miles and everything working well. with all that said, might I ask for your input on the following:

1. is the A2 a better truck (reliability, ease of repair, parts access, etc) than the a3
2. where on the A3 can I find a serial number (hope that's the right term for the ID number unique to this truck)
3. can I tell when the a3 was made from these numbers?

thank you very much for your help.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1. parts are cheaper for the A2 , parts are availible for both.
2. on the data plate
3. data plate should have delivery date.

lesslethal

Deuce info

1. parts are cheaper for the A2 , parts are availible for both.
2. on the data plate
3. data plate should have delivery date.

Thank you. Does one have a proven history of being more reliable than the other, or is a decision between the two just personal preference?

Also, considering my general lack of knowledge, how best can I determine exactly which multi fuel engine I have in the a2?

212sparky

Re: new to the duece

Rember 3, a2s were used to make 1 a3. Read the data plate on the side of the engine to see whatkind out multi you have.

197thhhc

They are both good vehicles. The CTIS on the A3 is a weak spot as is the cost of trans diagnostics or repair. My biggest issue with the A3 is the non multifuel engine, but if you run only diesel in your A2 its not an issue. Its really personal preference. I am an A2 guy. I think its a little less refined and I like that. All that being said, since the A3 is free, I would keep both.

lesslethal

Thank you. Can I just ignore or disconnect the ctis? Seems to work now, tires hold air, etc. I like the power steering and auto for sure, and am considering breaking into the hydro winch line and making my bed dump....lots of possibilities. Just had read a number of threads critical of the 3116 cat, this particular Allison, etc. with all that, was just thinking of keeping one, and the a2 has been pretty simple this far

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your going to need to dowmload these The Deuce TMs
Start with this one TM9-2320-209-10-1.pdf You should read this before operating a deuce ( it will answer alot of your questions )
And this will show what to inspect and the names of parts GTA-9-1-1851-8.pdf

This thread is one you should read also [h=2]Deuce FAQ Article[/h]And this one has some good points on cost of owning deuces cost of ownership (the real cost of a deuce)

Safety is one of the most important thing with these trucks , the brake system is one of the things that must be maintained . It is a single circut system any leaks and you have no brakes , checking the brake fluid should be part of the daily pre-trip inspection . you also need to use the correct brake fluid. This is explained in the links i provided.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
My issue with the A3's is that yaller engine they put in it. Should have used a manual pump Cummins. That is basically a throw away engine (when you are the gooberment) that will cost you a ton of money for parts or when it breaks. The A3 is slower than the A2 which makes it a toad in the road.
I've only driven on A3 (several hundred mile recovery trip) and I was not impressed.
If it were me I'd keep both unless overhead eats your lunch.

dikwks

An A2 will run on anything! ( within reason ) That would be (is) a deal breaker for me. Simplicity is an issue as well. An A2 ain't easy, but it ain't complicated either. Dick.

Hooper

Greetings all. Thanks so much for the info, as I've been reading for several weeks as I try to learn and (hopefully) make good vehicle decisions. I have a 1971 a2 that I put on craigs list this week--in preparation of getting an a3 that I have in bound....now based on some issues raised by many of you, I'm rethinking getting rid of the a2. it is a past fire department truck, red, with 34,000 miles and in perfect running and appearance condition. I am getting the a3 in kind (given to me for teaching a class for the agency that has it), so I don't need to sell the A2 to pay for the A3. both trucks have winches. the a2 is hard top, and the a3 is in excellent condition, with 14,000 miles and everything working well. with all that said, might I ask for your input on the following:

1. is the A2 a better truck (reliability, ease of repair, parts access, etc) than the a3
2. where on the A3 can I find a serial number (hope that's the right term for the ID number unique to this truck)
3. can I tell when the a3 was made from these numbers?

thank you very much for your help.

Having owned both I would probably pick the A2. The A3 needed a gross vehicle plate, 550 per year. The CTIS is crappy, and the tires are expensive and hard to find (plan on 600 per tire if you can find them).Also, I did not like the cruising speed of the A3, 48 mph and screaming at 54mph. The A3 also has transmission issues. Mine was starting to slip shifting into 3rd. Lastly, the air assisted p/s was not that great. You might as well just muscle around a A2. Don't be surprised if the VIN/serial number is only 6 numbers long.

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While I like the fact that the A3 is auto and has air-assist steering but I could buy another A2 for what it would cost to do wheel bearings on the newer one. Thank you CTIS.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not to stir you up or anything, but many people actively look for an A3 with all the goodies. You may want to have a good, long look at what the resale value of a cherry A3 is. Then consider selling the A3 and getting a spick and span 5-ton, 900 series truck, with winch and true power steering, Cummins engine and Allison auto. Add super singles and a dump bed....and then you might be so happy you can't even remember you owned an A3 once.