• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to the site and a new m1009 owner.

MattySpence23

Hi all. My father and I just picked up our first mid 80's m1009. We paid $1,500 and drove it home. Currently its an assortment of colors, lifted on almost brand new 35"s. The alternator belt broke when we pulled in the driveway. So far we ordered all new belts. Our next step will be investigating the IP I suppose. It seems to idle low and you have to feather the accelerator pedal when stopping and moving from reverse etc. Tonight is my first night reading into the IP and other issues it may have. We know its a project and don't expect to drive it everyday. We bought it mainly for its ability to run on multiple fuels, moving people/food/ammo, and having a kick ass hunting/beach truck. Its been many years but I was a gear head and have rebuilt many engines and do almost all my own repairs. While the 6.2 is new to me, I have owned my 7.3 Powerstroke for the last 12 years and know a little bit... :) I look forward to learning the ends and outs of this old beast. Thanks for allowing me in.

alpine44

Congratulations. If the body is not too rusty, you got a good deal there. The engine is pretty simple and old school with a Stanadyne rotary IP and conventional injectors. (The 7.3 Powerstroke is more complicated with the oil powered and electrically triggered injectors). CUCVRUS here on this site can tell you where to get the pump rebuilt for reasonable money.

There are a some electrical mods you should do ASAP related to the glow plugs and the starter. On the same day I bought my truck I fried the starter due to the relay getting stuck in the ON position. The previous owner had bought the stronger relay but had never put it in.

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi all. My father and I just picked up our first mid 80's m1009. We paid $1,500 and drove it home. Currently its an assortment of colors, lifted on almost brand new 35"s. The alternator belt broke when we pulled in the driveway. So far we ordered all new belts. Our next step will be investigating the IP I suppose. It seems to idle low and you have to feather the accelerator pedal when stopping and moving from reverse etc. Tonight is my first night reading into the IP and other issues it may have. We know its a project and don't expect to drive it everyday. We bought it mainly for its ability to run on multiple fuels, moving people/food/ammo, and having a kick ass hunting/beach truck. Its been many years but I was a gear head and have rebuilt many engines and do almost all my own repairs. While the 6.2 is new to me, I have owned my 7.3 Powerstroke for the last 12 years and know a little bit... :) I look forward to learning the ends and outs of this old beast. Thanks for allowing me in.
Welcome to SS . The 6.2 isn't going to like anything but Diesel , they are not multi-fuel motors like the M35's have

NovacaineFix

CMUjBtE.gif

Man I am getting a lot of use from that gif, lol

Welcome and congrats on your new(to you) M1009.

Basic things, read and download the TM's as they can be very helpful for any issues that come up. Think of them as the Chilton book for your CUCV.

There is an idle adjustment screw/solenoid that may be your issue, it's supposed to kick the "fast" idle up on start up but it may be set too low for normal engine speed or may be defective, you'll have to go through it to see if it is just out of adjustment or needs parts or if it is something more like you stated.

That part is located on TM 9-2320-289-20 section 3 page 67 sub section 3-23, trust me.

Screen Shot 2016-09-22 at 8.48.09 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2016-09-22 at 8.54.23 PM.jpg

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard. Read the helpful threads sticky. Tons of wonderful info there for you to consume and digest.

MattySpence23

Thanks for all the replies and great info. On the multiple fuel part...I was thinking about a secondary tank that can be warmed to run grease and whatever else you find. I have not done much research on that topic yet so I could be way off. I figure the 6.2 cannot run correctly/smoothly/ and maintain any longevity using random fuels, my hope was for it to run enough in a bad situation to get me out of Dodge.
Thanks again!

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome

You have been warned.........

This disease is addicting and you will not be able to have just one.
No matter what you tell yourself, just go ahead and start saving for the next CUCV, 5 ton, or trailer(s).
All of the above if it hits you hard enough.

These are wonderful trucks and are a blast to drive.

Just back from a beautiful morning drive in the M1008.
Windows down and dogs in the back.......

Just be patient
Read the TMs and old threads
Buy the best parts you can afford.
And have FUN!!

Your gonna love it!!!

NovacaineFix

Welcome

You have been warned.........

This disease is addicting and you will not be able to have just one.
No matter what you tell yourself, just go ahead and start saving for the next CUCV, 5 ton, or trailer(s).

You must be talking about me, Bought a CUCV, then bought a 5-ton just last week bought a trailer. Alright, I know you're spying on me, where's the camera hidden?