• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to the site, Shopping for deuces.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
thanks for the help.
It will rarely be driven in vegas. Mainly back roads and in Mexico for off-road races. I now only plan on getting one to use as a chase truck.
You may want to do some reseach on taking it to mexico there are restrictions with these trucks.

oldMan99

As a chase truck your probably much more in line with what these trucks were designed for in the first place.

Depending on how much stuff you want/need to carry and if you want it inside out of the eyes of those with sticky fingers you might do well to consider a M820. Google that and you'll get a lot of info.

Not a multifuel and you will see that it can be used as an expandable side unit (sort of like a slide out on a modern camper) but be aware, the expandable part works NOTHING at all like a modern slide out and normally takes a crew of 2-3 about 45 minutes to an hour to set up. So for your use, forget that capability and just look at the truck and box as a 6x6 U-Haul.

I would seriously consider adding sound proofing / thermal insulation and an after market truck A/C system in the cab. A window A/C unit could easily be installed in the box if you have need/want to cool that area. A generator can be frame mounted below the box.

On road speeds will likely be in the 55-60mph range. I'm pretty sure the M820 has a dual circuit brake system so that is a safety improvement over the standard Deuce. You could add a Warn 18k 24vdc electric winch front/rear to make it more self sufficient and add versatility. You may also want to consider adding air ride seats if you expect your crew to sign up for more than 1 race.

By the way, if your interested in the M820 I know where there is a fairly nice stock one in New Mexico for a pretty reasonable price.

Best of luck.

mxrider99

So, after tons of research and lurking here, as to avoid the hate people tend to throw around because i am 19 and theres no possible way i know what im doing, im going to pick up a m109 and expand from there. Youll just have to sit back, and watch as i go.

First thing id like to tackle is the brakes. You guys have me all nervous about them....

wb1895

Yes the brakes are bad on the deuce/109, but with the proper maintanance they will work just fine.

You mentioned in a earlier post that you wanted to take it to Mexico. DO YOUR RESEARCH, I dont think that the US Govt will allow a M109 to be taken outside the US without the proper paperwork. Also, what will the Mexican Govt think when you come riding through in a big heavy American military vehicle. I am not trying to seem mean or rain on your parade, i just dont want anything bed to happen to you or your M109.

mxrider99

Yes the brakes are bad on the deuce/109, but with the proper maintanance they will work just fine.

You mentioned in a earlier post that you wanted to take it to Mexico. DO YOUR RESEARCH, I dont think that the US Govt will allow a M109 to be taken outside the US without the proper paperwork. Also, what will the Mexican Govt think when you come riding through in a big heavy American military vehicle. I am not trying to seem mean or rain on your parade, i just dont want anything bed to happen to you or your M109.
I understand this, and will start researching this, also. As the main reason for this truck will be to chase offroad races, the majority of witch will be down in baja California, AKA mexico.

Thanks for the heads up on that.

tom2147

Calling a deuce a chase vehicle made me chuckle and sounds appropriate. They sure ain't gonna catch anything ;)

Good luck in your search. I'm looking to purchse deuce #2 soon.

KsM715

Deuces do not have "air" brakes, They are hydraulic. Air assisted. You still have a regular brake system with a master cylinder and wheel cylinders, theres just a little more to it.

Warren Lovell

Welcome MX Rider. I was 14 when I got my first military vehicle. There were no websites back then...just veterans, fellow collectors you'd run into, jeep supply shops, and dad.
I didn't have anyone jump down my throat, or make me feel bad for getting into the hobby. Everyone was so helpful...

Just the other day at the remote control airfield, this old fart yelled at a 16 year old kid, who broke a rule by not announcing in a loud voice he was landing. Everyone turned and looked, and we all felt bad for the kid, who was obviously embarrassed in front of his peers.

I see that a lot on this site and it hurts to read it. Leaves you with a bad feeling. Sometimes a searches take forever to find an answer. Some of us cant sit in front of a computer or search with the limited ability and battery of our smart phones.

There is one person I'd like to thank, who I met on this site, and who has become a great friend...George Paxinos. He has a wealth of knowledge and is willing to share it. Not once did he tell me to use the search function!:lol:

So, people...you only live once...relax...enjoy military vehicles...and promote and pass on your knowledge to the younger ones. Be nice!

oddshot

Welcome MX Rider. I was 14 when I got my first military vehicle. There were no websites back then...just veterans, fellow collectors you'd run into, jeep supply shops, and dad.

I didn't have anyone jump down my throat, or make me feel bad for getting into the hobby. Everyone was so helpful...
Thank you so much for this post.

I hope it will make a difference ... but fear it won't even make a dent.

Around here sometimes it ain't about the trucks ... its more about the egos ...

oddshot

Last edited:

3dAngus

Ted, sounds like you are going through that same evolutionary process in growing with SS as I did.

Today, I'm thinking of adding to my signature, "Never say use search!"

Crap man. This is the dang internet. No one needs this site to do research. (But, it does help.)

Better to have a mentor. People here are just getting old and tired, and sometimes, sick and tired. We seem to forget it is the young who inherit the earth. And this site, for many of the wiser and more knowledgeable, is an opportunity to teach them the way we want them to learn, and to grow, for all future generations.

You can't do that with a search engine.

3dAngus

It's called the generational gap. My Mother in Law still thinks its a shame these young people don't get out and play "kick the can" in lieu of getting on computers or texting their friends and keeping in touch that way. Her neighborhood was her backyard, today's youth backyard is the world. She doesn't get it, just like you and your two cents worth, which is worth just that.

I can research as good as anyone you know, and don't mind doing so because it helps me. It's a lot less stressful than listening to all these old coots lecturing about how everyone shouldn't ask questions that have already been answered, and I'm not so out of touch with the younger generation as most on here about how rude it is NOT to answer a question, and say, " Use the search engine" then turn around and lecture about what is obvious about the benefits, as if...,
"Everybody is Stupid!"

Warren Lovell

I think 3dAngus gets it, oddshot gets it, and if only two get it, then a difference has been made. Some people are too set in their ways to think outside the box. No one really knows me here. I had a wrench put in my hand at age 5, helping my father with his Model A and 32 Chevy. If I had a question, he NEVER told me to go look it up. He explained the process. This continued thru many cars and projects, not always car related. He enjoyed that...and if I asked the same question again because I forgot a procedure, he took the time to explain it to me. Not everything is from a book or manual. And some of the knowledge imparted on this site is priceless, may have saved a life, and may form friendships like I have with some of you. Telling me to go use the search engine is telling me you're self "entitled" on this site. Its the same with all forums. There is always a rotten egg. But there is luckily a majority that WILL answer your question...a majority that WILL go out of their way to help you.
Rather than type "use the search engine", why not take a huge effort and answer the question without being condescending...or or not type at all.

3dAngus

Thanks Warren. In my considerable experiences on the internet, I've found if someone is not interested in helping, it is best for them to ignore, and move on to something of more interest, rather than lecture about reading manuals.

I know in my most recent experience, when I was full of dirt and sweat, and took my dirty hands to the keyboard to ask for help with manuals under my trailer and all, I wanted and needed help right then and there rather than the "look it up" routine which serves no useful purpose to those in need. So my take is, if one thinks the MV hobby may not be for them because they ask legitimate questions, the internet may not be for them when they post nothing but "use the search engine" and make no effort to help remedy a situation requiring a quick and easy answer (for some). There is not comraderie, no teamwork, in "Use search" without a constructive and positve comment helping out our fellow MV'ers.

If everyone would follow Clinto's practice of "use the search engine, here is some links to help", it would be very very postive overall for the board members.

I think everyone is tired from the long winter. It will get better, I'm sure, now that the weather is staring to warm up. We're all getting a little testy. This remains the best website ever for help with our MV questions and help.

oddshot

Rather than type "use the search engine", why not take a huge effort and answer the question without being condescending...or or not type at all.

BINGO!!!

If you can't answer somebody's question in a civil manner, without being arrogant, condescending and rude ...

why don't you just give it a pass.

BTW ... this hobby is about learning about, collecting, and working on Military Vehicles ...

If somebody wanted gratuitous abuse ... I would suggest getting into S&M.

oddshot

oldMan99

If everyone would follow Clinto's practice of "use the search engine, here is some links to help", it would be very very postive overall for the board members.
Exactly.. :)

I have some pages saved in my favorites specifically so I can open it, copy the link and go back and paste it to answer certain questions. I think that helps a lot more than "Search for it".

Personally I hate search. Don't get me wrong, I do use it and occasionally it works out, but I usually get 20+ threads to have to look through and each might be 10+ pages long. Telling somebody to go read 150 to 300 pages instead of providing the info or a usable link is just ..... not really helpful.

Remember, No matter what the subject matter at hand is, at one time each and every one of us was brand new and had no clue of what we were doing. No matter how much you know today, there was a day when you had to ask questions.

Maybe your mentor simply said "Go look it up" but wouldn't you have much preferred if he would have said "Go look it up, it is in book # 97 on page 212"? Or even, "Go look it up, here is the book, I think it is somewhere in chapter 5". Would that not have made you feel much more welcome, much more like he was really trying to be of assistance, taken much less of your time so you could get back to what was really important, maybe even been the start of a friendship of some sort?

Also, if it is a question that has been asked "50 million times" and there are 49,999,999 million answers that say "Go search" the person asking the question will only find 49,999,999 responses of "Go search" and likely never find the one actual answer.

On the other hand, if each time the question is asked a link was posted to the very first answer, a search would then turn up 49,999,999 links to the answer. If this was the case of course you would never get to 49,999,999 because the search would really work and most people would not only use it but find it truly useful rather than a huge pain in the butt.

Personally I think telling somebody "Go search" is far more counterproductive than giving the answer or a link to the answer because all it does is make "Search" even more useless each time you do that because the next guy to try searching will find that thread and all the other useless threads full of "Go search" instead of the answer.

So, in other words, the more you tell people "Go search" and nothing more, the more useless your making the search function. aua

2cents

Nomex on.... Bring it....

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think anyone should own a MV without at least having the TM's downloaded to there computer or on a cd , myself I still prefer the printed copies . CUCV owners can get by with chilitons or hayes manual other than the blackout lights and 24v starting system . All the manuals are free to download . And I think providing a link to to the manuals and letting do some reading does more to educate them than simply giving them the answer . If they break down in the middle of nowhere without computer acess they will have the knowledge to fix it . They should at least make a attempt to search for the answer before posting a new thread , this is why you have to search through a 100 threads to find a answer because it is repeatedly ask without a minimal search . If you have time to start a new thread you have time for a basic search . Now I'm not saying if your broke down on the side of the road you should search first as there are times a instant answer could be a saftey factor , but when you are sitting at home a reasonable attempt at a search is in order. If you have a deuce and can find the master cylinder without starting a new thread maybe its the wrong truck for you . I don't have a probelm with steering someone in the right direction ,but just getting answers without learning you are just setting them up for failure.

oldMan99

Porky,

You and I basically agree. It is always best to at least try the search first, but as I noted above, it is not perfect by any means, and it is only getting worse.

As for the manuals, I 100% agree. I like the electronic version a lot but I also want a print copy but so far I have not found one or a source for one (For the M920). I think having both is the way to go. Put the hard copy in a plastic bag and find a place in your truck. You might not have access to the internet or even to your laptop with the downloaded manual but you can always open the book.... if you have it.

I do have the electronic version and could print it out but single sided printing will make a pretty large stack of pages that I would need to go have bound into a book. That is my back up plan if I can't find the real book pretty soon.

However, there are more questions that can not be answered by the book than there are questions that can be answered by it. And "Search"..... well thats been covered.... lol..

Warren Lovell

The photo attached to my name is the second jeep I built. The first was a project my dad suggested. He also suggested I do a body off frame restoration so I would learn everything about the vehicle. I had to use a manual, read everything I could get my hands on, and was self reliant on this jeep.

The second jeep was built from the frame up while I attended the police academy. I gave it to my dad for fathers day three years before he died.

So MX, attack that deuce with a hunger for knowledge.i printed all the manuals for my cucv and deuces off this site. They are in binders, each page in a plastic sleeve. I add notes from members posts to the manual where needed, along with a page for filter, belt, and hose part numbers. That stays with the truck.

There will be problems that will stump you. Refer to the book first. Then phone a friend or use the SS help line!
The gist of this thread should be to learn your vehicle. Know its limitations and your limitations. And enjoy the truck.