• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to the site with a 1984 CUCV

victor3ranger

Well, figured I would report back.
I put the new glow plugs in, changed the female terminals, charged the batts to 100% and still had a really hard time starting saturday afternoon which was around 55* outside.
When replacing the female spade ends I used ones that weren't covered with a plastic cover, would this hurt anything using this type as long as they aren't touching anything other than the male spade on the GP??

cucvrus

Did it start fine after that? It may be dropping the fuel prime to the injection pump. That will make it start hard in 100 degree weather. And no the bar spades connectors are fine. Keep in mind that it must hold complete prime every time it sits. There can be no fuel leaks or wet areas on the entire fuel system or you will have air entering the system. This creates the hard start issues. I mean other things can cause it also. Is the glow plug relay sending the signal ton the glow plugs? You have a lot of variables.

cpf240

While covered connectors would be better, those should work for you. Maybe use some of that liquid electrical tape on them?

As to the starting problem, have you tested the GP system with a meter? The GP relay contacts can get carboned up and not allow the GPs to operate properly.

victor3ranger

While covered connectors would be better, those should work for you. Maybe use some of that liquid electrical tape on them?

As to the starting problem, have you tested the GP system with a meter? The GP relay contacts can get carboned up and not allow the GPs to operate properly.

cpf240, where do I check that at? That might be what is going on.

cpf240

The GP relay is on the firewall next to the 12v buss on the drivers-side of the engine bay. There are pictures of them in the useful threads stickies. Measure the voltage between ground and the two big terminals. The readings should be very close to the same when the relay is engaged.

There is a full GP system test procedure in the -20 TM.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks