• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to the world of 6.2

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My son picked up an 82 Chevy PU with a J code 6.2.
It has fuel tank issues and was running out of a gallon jug on the floor board :shock:
Well it ran low sucked air & stalled. (prior to this it had been started about a half dozen times over a couple hours.
This beast does not have a lift pump, it has a diaphragm pump on the block.
It has two 800 cca batteries that are 6 years old, charged up yet it doesn't turn over very fast & runs down quickly. Bad starter????
Not getting any smoke, I cracked a line loose post injection pump & got nothing after a few seconds of cranking. Have a clear fuel line at the diaphragm pump and it is full / no air.

I don't know enough to decipher what info in the TM's is detrimental to a 12volt civi 6.2

2002ford

Your going to have to crank it for awhile to bleed the lines or crack them open and turn it over. It can a little bit to get the air out. The motors are no different between I 2v and 24 volt. I hope this helps.

As 2002FORD stated it takes a bit of cranking don't give also take a break every few minutes to let starter cool. Also make sure the batteries are fully charged as it takes a fast crank to compress that diesel. GOOD LUCK!

MarcusOReallyus

This beast does not have a lift pump, it has a diaphragm pump on the block.

That is a lift pump. It's a mechanical one.

I'd throw an electric pump on there before I'd do all that work to swap batteries, etc. It's a very simple job.

Running an electric pump for a few minutes to prime the system is a whale of a lot easier on the batteries and starter.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need to check the voltage at the pink wire on top of the injector pump. It should read 12v with the key on.

Only items you need for a 6.2L to run are

1 - fuel
2 - starter spinning the engine fast enough
3 - power to energize the fuel shutoff on the injector pump
4 - glowplugs help but there are other ways to help ignite the fuel. Hand over the exhaust pipe, heat gun at the intake, etc

Last edited:

Barrman

Even with an electric pump, you have to turn the engine over to get fuel going out the injector lines to the injectors. When I installed the 6.2 in my M715 I had an unknown hair line crack in a fitting before my electric lift pump. I could fill the fuel filter up with the pump,bleed all the air out of the filter, get fuel to the IP under pressure but it wouldn't push through until the IP was spinning. I would crank for 10 seconds, let it sit for 30 seconds, repeat. It would normally take 6-8 cycles to get the engine to burp. Another 2 or 3 before it would fire up and run. Then it was good to go until the spin on filter ran dry because of air getting sucked in. I probably had to reprime it a dozen times before I found the problem and have had several thousand trouble free miles since.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks