• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to this... 1952 Studebaker 6x6 M35, need good advice!

Halo615

I just got a 1952 Studebaker 6x6 M35, it has a multifuel engine that's running gas. Mistake number 1, I decided to drive it home from Adamsville Al. to Nashville Tn. 45 min from home it shut off made a clanking sound, and won't start now. when I turn the battery on there is a loud humming sound from under the dash. the sound is coming from a metal box about 4"x4". could this be the problem?
I've read a lot of forums and it seems everyone is using the 5.9 Cummins engine. what other engine options are there (if any are worth discussing).
Thanks for your feedback and assistance in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

ToddJK

I just got a 1952 Studebaker 6x6 M35, it has a multifuel engine that's running gas. Mistake number 1, I decided to drive it home from Adamsville Al. to Nashville Tn. 45 min from home it shut off made a clanking sound, and won't start now. when I turn the battery on there is a loud humming sound from under the dash. the sound is coming from a metal box about 4"x4". could this be the problem?
I've read a lot of forums and it seems everyone is using the 5.9 Cummins engine. what other engine options are there (if any are worth discussing).
That humming sound is the low air pressure alarm. If there's a clanking sound from the engine, pop the valve covers off and see if there's a rod that popped off one of the valves. This can make for an extremely difficult start on an engine. If no rods popped off and the oil has metal shavings in it, probably blew a bearing. No clanking sounds while it was running? Was there a clunk sound when it stalled? Either just a bad bearing or the oil was not changed for a long time. I'm just throwing it into the wind here, but that's my guess. I'm not sure on that model what Cummins engines are compatible or better suited for it, but there have been quite a few guys that swapped out the multi-fuels with a Cummins in their M35A2's and A3's.

eric67camino

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have concerns, or at least questions, about fuel.

You said multi-fuel running on gas.

Are you running straight gas? That's not a great idea, as I understand it. Needs to at least have some oil in it to lubricate top end and injection pump. And, I believe, it's only to be used in an extreme situation( like getting gone in a battle scenario). Better to run regular diesel in it.

That said, I don't know exactly how much damage it would do. But I would assume it could eventually cause damage due to heat and a difference in octane.

If I'm wrong, please disregard.

Halo615

That humming sound is the low air pressure alarm. If there's a clanking sound from the engine, pop the valve covers off and see if there's a rod that popped off one of the valves. This can make for an extremely difficult start on an engine. If no rods popped off and the oil has metal shavings in it, probably blew a bearing. No clanking sounds while it was running? Was there a clunk sound when it stalled? Either just a bad bearing or the oil was not changed for a long time. I'm just throwing it into the wind here, but that's my guess. I'm not sure on that model what Cummins engines are compatible or better suited for it, but there have been quite a few guys that swapped out the multi-fuels with a Cummins in their M35A2's and A3's.
no clanking sounds while it was running, just when it shut off. when I try to start it it just clicks. i bought two new batteries but it didn't change anything.

Halo615

I have concerns, or at least questions, about fuel.

You said multi-fuel running on gas.

Are you running straight gas? That's not a great idea, as I understand it. Needs to at least have some oil in it to lubricate top end and injection pump. And, I believe, it's only to be used in an extreme situation( like getting gone in a battle scenario). Better to run regular diesel in it.

That said, I don't know exactly how much damage it would do. But I would assume it could eventually cause damage due to heat and a difference in octane.

If I'm wrong, please disregard.
I don't know if the previous owner added an oil, but thank you for the info. ill check it out tomorrow.

ToddJK

no clanking sounds while it was running, just when it shut off. when I try to start it it just clicks. i bought two new batteries but it didn't change anything.
Oh okay. It's the starter. Keep hitting the starter button continuously. Mine does that once in a while. Likely due to a dead spot on the solenoid or starter. Sometimes it takes a tries, other times it takes a while of hitting that button. Could even give the starter a good tap and see if that works.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Oh okay. It's the starter. Keep hitting the starter button continuously. Mine does that once in a while. Likely due to a dead spot on the solenoid or starter. Sometimes it takes a tries, other times it takes a while of hitting that button. Could even give the starter a good tap and see if that works.
Yessir! It's called a "love tap". If there is a dead spot on the armature inside the starter, it might take two people. One (that you trust with your life) turning the key and you under the truck with about a three pound hammer... One swift "whack" with the hammer on the starter body (the round part) should make the starter turn.

MAKE SURE it is OUT OF GEAR so you don't get run over with your own truck...

ToddJK

Yessir! It's called a "love tap". If there is a dead spot on the armature inside the starter, it might take two people. One (that you trust with your life) turning the key and you under the truck with about a three pound hammer... One swift "whack" with the hammer on the starter body (the round part) should make the starter turn.

MAKE SURE it is OUT OF GEAR so you don't get run over with your own truck...
Yup! I tried that by myself after watching Garret from Tactical Repair do it, but I just hit the starter button now and it usually takes 2-10 taps and it'll turn over. Not often, but once in a while and it's annoying but not annoying enough to buy a new starter and the labor just yet, lol.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Yup! I tried that by myself after watching Garret from Tactical Repair do it, but I just hit the starter button now and it usually takes 2-10 taps and it'll turn over. Not often, but once in a while and it's annoying but not annoying enough to buy a new starter and the labor just yet, lol.
That starter button fix will work only on a nice spring afternoon.

The time it won't work will be when it is hot and muggy and about a thousand mosquitoes are trying to get up your nose or in your ears. Chances are it will be raining too - and you parked in the dirt - that has turned to mud. Oh, and don't forget the Dark and Stormy Night as another possibility!

ROFLPIMP.png

williamh

From what I have read you should add 1qt of oil for every 15 gal of gas.
Don’t put “gas” in the truck !🤯 it won’t last. It’s designed for diesel fuel “but” can run on other types of fuel , that is in case of AN EMERGENCY ! It’s your truck. Do as it as you want. There are LOTS of posts here on using waste oil an such. Also DON’T use either when trying to start. You appear to be new at the M35. Unless you REALLY like replacing heavy parts , I would suggest doing some heavy reading.

Halo615

Don’t put “gas” in the truck !🤯 it won’t last. It’s designed for diesel fuel “but” can run on other types of fuel , that is in case of AN EMERGENCY ! It’s your truck. Do as it as you want. There are LOTS of posts here on using waste oil an such. Also DON’T use either when trying to start. You appear to be new at the M35. Unless you REALLY like replacing heavy parts , I would suggest doing some heavy reading.
thank you for the info.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks