• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Toy, 65GPM Yanmar powered freshwater pump

Isaac-1

Well I bought a new toy from GL in the auctions that closed Tuesday, it is a 65 GPM fresh water pump in an ASK housing (measures about 2x2x3, so about the size of a MEP-701a, maybe a little smaller) powered by a 4HP Yanmar L40 diesel engine (NSN 4320-01-338-8010 built by Schleyer Pump) . I was watching the prices get too high on several generators when I spotted this little guy drawing no bids at closing time, so I threw out a minimum bid and won it (they had a number of others like it 2 to the lot, which mostly sold around double the opening bid). It is brand new, never used, built on Feb 6,1996 still had the Depreservation guide manual stapled to the handle in a heat shrink bag (currently spread out drying, the heat shrink did not keep all the water out over the years I guess). It is a fresh water pump, not a trash pump, is rated to flow 65 GPM at 50 ft head and 10 ft suction, so I suspect real world flow rate and pressure may be somewhat more, but probably not a lot.

Now for the big question, does anyone have any thoughts on what I should do with this little thing?

I was thinking maybe get a fire hose and a suction hose (it already has 1.5 inch fittings that look like they are NST fire hose connectors) for it and take it to the family farm, there is already a 350-400 gallon sprayer tank there, add this little guy and it could be handy to put out grass fires, if one ever tried to get out of control, etc.

Not sure of anything else other than parting out and selling/use the Yanmar L40 since it has never been run.

Ike

Last edited:

leedawg

Looks great IKE I could think of all kinds of uses for one of those around the farm. Take some video when you get it up and running would love to see it in action.

Lee

Isaac-1

I bought a 25 foot suction hose and inlet strainer for it at Tractor Supply on the way home tonight, cost about $40 for both and the hose is even green, it was marked as 1 1/2 NPT and seems to screw onto the inlet port fine. For the outlet I am getting a used 1.5 inch NST firehose with nozzle and a NPT to NST adapter and will see how it does, the specifications are vague with the 65 GPM minimum at 50 ft head and 10 ft suction, with no clue how flow would be at 75 or 100 ft head. Being a fresh water pump and not a more open impeller trash pump with luck it will be able to deliver significantly higher head pressures at slightly reduced flow, but that will be a trial and error test. If it does not work with the fire hose nozzle I will only be out a few dollars and the fire hose can still be used as a sturdy discharge hose. I am not going to worry with the extra weight of the hose when you consider the weight of the pump, this is certainly not one of those made in China Harbor Freight gems.

Ike

Isaac-1

Ok for those of you that may buy one of these pumps in the future, I tried mine out today, filled it with fuel and oil, and put about a gallon of water down the outlet fitting to do the initial prime per the TM. I then connected a 25 ft suction hose with a strainer on the end and tossed it into a pond while the pump was sitting in the back of my truck. I did not have an output hose so used a piece of scrap 1.5 inch PVC pipe which stood up about a foot and a half or so long with a slip fitting street elbow end. On the first pull after hitting the compression release it sputter and died, then after 2 of 3 more tries it came to life and stayed running, but smoked a lot a never came up to speed. After a couple of minutes I noticed the fresh air hose going to the air filter was collapsing under the suction after disconnecting it the engine revved up and water started gushing out. I am not sure how much pressure it had, but it did have enough for it to mostly clear the side of my truck with the elbow fitting about a foot and a half above the side wall and located near the middle of the truck, so 2.5 feet or so from the edge (F250). I only let it run for about 5 minutes, as it was starting to get dark and storms were on the way. With luck I will be able to do the fire hose test next weekend, I am not sure if it will work or not, will try to do a video, or at least snap some photos.

Ike

NEIOWA

Standard fire nozzle is designed for 100psi. An Akron Assault is available as a 50psi model. However low pressure hose is highly (negatively impact from) subject to kinking.

Isaac-1

The twist type plastic nozzle I bought to try this out is rated at 36-39 GPM (straight stream vs 45-90 degree) at 25 psi, 50 GPM at 50 psi, and 66 GPM at 75 psi. It has a straight stream range of 36 ft at 25 psi, and 50 ft at 75 psi, which to me sounds like enough stand off range for any likely need.. The relatively good performance at even 25 psi makes me think this may be a promising option.

Ike

Isaac-1

Well here are the long awaited pictures of the pump connect to a fire hose I took these this afternoon with the help of my son who is holding the hose. For scale the fire hose is 75 feet long and suction hose is 25 ft, and pump is operating about 8-10 feet above the water level in the pond, pump is rated at 10 ft. maximum lift, and took about a minute to prime at this amount of suction head. (the easiest way to get close to the water was by parking on the culvert that goes over the end of the pond since we had a lot of rain the last few days) Nozzle is a cheap plastic fire hose nozzle of the type found in fire cabinets, and is twist set for maximum distance in all photos.

Ike

Attachments

Last edited:

cucv1833

Good info Ike.

Im going to pick up a (1994 125B water pump Yanmar engine 125 gpm) today. I was looking for some info and found this post. It looks pretty new. I wonder if this bigger one has a l-70 yanmar. I guess I will find out later. If everything works out I will get hoses and fittings from tractor supply.

derf

We should get together on the upcoming 016s at Ft. Polk. I plan to bid on a few but I don't like the idea of bidding against you guys. Shoot me a PM if you want to discuss.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I bought the M52A2 from the fire district, it had been oufitted with a water tank. In the back compartment was a pump/motor setup with all the valves to run water in whatever method they needed. The side compartments had several hoses, condition unknown. One interesting thing is there is a large yellow tag on the motor with the letter "D". Maybe diesel powered? I'll post up some pictures. The whole setup is not doing me any good, no water. We run wells here and there's not enough pressure out of the well head to make this work. I suppose if I had a water tank like the ranchers use to bring water to the cattle, it would have a use. Still thinking about that. I'll go get some pictures of the set-up. If I can't figure out what to do with it, I'll put it up for sale. I'll be doing something soon, I need the space in my shop. Off to get the camera, back soon.

Add: Here's the pictures. One additional note, don't know if the thing works. Kind of way down on the priority list. One of these days I ought to see if it at least runs.

Attachments

Last edited: