• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Truck Now What

tucker79

Drove out to the sticks and scouted a new 5 ton Multifuel cargo truck (M54?) WW wish I looked at data plate and got pics. But I put some cash down to hold it till transport/recovery so its basicly Mine HAPPY. It is allegedly is a runner but needs some tire work, battery, looks like fire department wired it 12V and fuel tank ( Dont like the Red thinking flat black Murdered out) It has almost no rust way less than my M52 and I really like the long bed on it Its Clean, engine looks clean too. He had a couple nice nice M35s out there, old 50s Power Wagon (M37?) Bunch of parts trucks and the Beautiful 5 ton I got. So hard to pick ONE but I know Ill be back M37s cool and I got the green feverMy 1st 2 in 1 yr.
Cool guy too knows his MVs n parts even threw in a door with good glass and 4 16.00s just need 2 more now for my old M52. He also gave me a killer deal on spare NCH 250 and trans.
I went looking for a 5 ton to Bob but now Im not sure if this is the one? Ill be doing a lot of research on the multi fuel engine and which one to bob for my Monster Mudder project on 23.1 V treads I have waiting and wanting on one so bad
Open to any input
Today was a GOOD day
Thanks Bryce (bchevyman) on here even know hes driven Dodges hauling MVs LOL

tucker79

No im not positive what it is It Is a 5 ton multi. My M52 A1 has the 250 non turbo and it does the job but just. So I figured Id get a spare for the price of scrap. But if the multi 5t is gutless as I thought and you say whats a good motor tranny to swap in ??? I want power I got a 454 ans a 429 n a 7.3 laying around

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
if it has the 250, its an 809 series truck. If it has a multi in it, is an m54 series. The 250 will not fit in place of the multifuel.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
if it has the 250, its an 809 series truck. If it has a multi in it, is an m54 series. The 250 will not fit in place of the multifuel.
I sense a challenge. Fitting a NHC-250 into the place where a Multi-Fuel currently resides.

gimpyrobb

I sense a challenge. Fitting a NHC-250 into the place where a Multi-Fuel currently resides.
I owned a 250 when I snapped the crank in my wrecker. We looked at it six ways to Sunday. No way it will fit with out doing something goofy like putting the radiator on the front side of the grill guard.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I owned a 250 when I snapped the crank in my wrecker. We looked at it six ways to Sunday. No way it will fit with out doing something goofy like putting the radiator on the front side of the grill guard.
You have to replace the front sheet metal with the metal off of an 800 series.

tucker79

It has the air filter intake coming thru the hood and turboed if that helps identify what motor also has the 2 fuel filters top driver side of motor as well as what looks to be aftermarket spin on filter on frame rail. The front clip looked to be the same dimensions as my M52A1 but i could be wrong.
What motor would you guys suggest if I dont end up liking the current motor????

gimpyrobb

I think if you tune the multifuel, it will be acceptable. Once you get it in your possession, post some pics, we can continue then.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sarcasm, catch it!

I know it won't fit. :)

tucker79

My current M52a1 as the data plate in the cab says has a NHC 250 cummins 855 C.I.D. advertised 240 hp as as the plate on the PT pump states Overhauled in 1990 in Albany GA. Was this the original engine all my searches come up with Mack info for M52a1. The TMs seem to match up with my truck but I dont see any other trucks on here like mine.
The NHC 250 seems to get a bad rep Why and what would a better drop in replacement be???
I hear a Allison auto 5 speed out of the 900s will bolt up?? Anybody done this does it help with top speed and keeping rpms down cruising??
Any info history on these trucks would be greatly appreciated

gimpyrobb

My current M52a1 as the data plate in the cab says has a NHC 250 cummins 855 C.I.D. advertised 240 hp as as the plate on the PT pump states Overhauled in 1990 in Albany GA. Was this the original engine all my searches come up with Mack info for M52a1. The TMs seem to match up with my truck but I dont see any other trucks on here like mine.
The NHC 250 seems to get a bad rep Why and what would a better drop in replacement be???
I hear a Allison auto 5 speed out of the 900s will bolt up?? Anybody done this does it help with top speed and keeping rpms down cruising??
Any info history on these trucks would be greatly appreciated
You really are crossing up motors and truck series. Your best bet is to post some pics so we can be clear about what we are talking about. The data plates or even the whole cab could have been swapped before you got the truck.

I do know, the nhc250 will not fit in an M54 series engine bay without serious mods. I was going to do it to my wrecker, there just wasn't any way to stretch the frame enough!

gimpyrobb

Green one is m809 series and the red one is m54.

Both look like good trucks. The red one won't have as much power, but I doubt it will be very noticeable. On the other hand, you can run just about anything as fuel and save a couple bucks!

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

Got anymore pics of the red one? It doesn't have the air filter where I thought it should be. It might be a gasser! Way less power but huge amounts of torque.

tucker79

I found that one buy luck I snapped it a yr ago 1st time I was out here getting some parts for my M809 thats gonna take a little getting used to after listening to the M52 data plate for a yr doesn't look like the cab was swapped wonder how that came to be. Pretty sure its a multi guy said it was and hes seen enough of them to know.. It should at least be the better of the 2 multis I hope. Whats the best fuel to run in it for best performance??? does it burn fuen like a diesel or spark like gas???

gimpyrobb

Its called a hypercycle combustion process. Its closer to diesel, but can run gasoline(not good for the IP). Yes should be the LDS(170hp vs 130hp).

My multifuel likes diesel the best, but runs on almost anything. I get a lot of hydraulic oil, atf, and used motor oil. It all gets mixed together and filtered before I run it though.