• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New trucks made it home!

SUPRDUD

Hello Everyone,
I have been lurking here a while and am enjoying learning from your posts. I was needing some semis on the farm and just got a pair hauled home. They were from the auction in IA a while back. They both started and drove off of the trailer so that was a great way to get them home! I need to get my CDL so I can drive them on the road but they sure are fun to drive around the farmyard. I had already bought a grain trailer and just got it home too. I was cleaning out the last grain bin for the year and my dad really wanted me to hook on and haul a load to town.....I did too but kept thinking of all of the fines I could have gotten for no plates or CDL, etc. I'll try to post a couple of photos.

Attachments

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site. Your starting off big time. You did right,waitint on the proper licensing! If you even get in a fender bender, it could be serious, and automatically, your fault. Best be safe! The trucks will need a good serviceing. Congrats!

poppop

In Ga a farmer does not need a CDL to haul his own products within 150 miles from the farm. But if I cross over into SC which is only 50 miles they require a Cdl.

SUPRDUD

How much per mile was shipping?

It was $1.575/mile for total miles. There was no backhaul so it all figured in the total. They did it in a hurry (and did a very fine job) when my other firm kept putting me off again and again. It wasn't too many miles so it will only be about $400 more than if I had two drivers and tried to drive them home. As I had no plates or pemits available the fines may have been higher! One reason I bought two of them was so I would have a full load for the price. That's frugal thinking, right?

My internet has been down most of the day....might have been the high winds???

SUPRDUD

those are good looking trucks. I didn't tknow they put the big cam III in those trucks. I thought they were all Big Cam II's

They were "rebuilt" in 2005 and 2006 and got new motors then. I will have to double check as I am just going on the sale descriptions for now.

SUPRDUD

You are in good company out in that neck of the woods.....reb87 and ZiggyO both have M915's that they work like rented mules.

I have read some of their posts for research and know someone who has seen their trucks around.....They said "Those trucks are TOO COOL!"

There are some junk iron haulers near me that run these trucks so I am not the first in the community but I will be the first one to use them to pull grain trailers to the elevator around here. I know I'll get some stares for sure!

cornrichard

We have been using 915a1's for 2 years on our IL farm. They are fantastic and some of the best money we have ever spent. One truck had the build sheet from the rebuild in it. Uncle spent over 70,000 dollars parts and labor on that truck. The one issue that all of mine share is the headlight switch. They will not support the parking lights and get hot. I mean melting wire hot. I put the parking lights on a relay. Good luck. Headlight switch for m915a1 Search that

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
nice trucks! Yes it is best to go ahead and get the class a cdl just to have it. Even if some states don't require it, it still is a good thing to have. If you can get your regular license you can for sure pass the cdl test.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks