• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New V-100

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the feedback on those tires B3.3T, helps me cement my choice. While the Michelins are still plentiful, they are all older than the Goodyears I can pick up near me.
That and the Michelins make the vehicle 'bounce' at sustained low speeds (as in parade speed), at least on my M813 they do. The big lugs make the truck go up and down and it gets a bit tedious.

Cheers

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The results of a few days well spent. After a couple of days it is all dry now, green goes on Thursday. :-D

Almost all the nice seafoam bits that were hanging on those racks before are bolted on inside now.

Cheers

Attachments

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh come now, just because I am.. um.. (concentrating - counting).. 27 months behind schedule, is that any reason to rush me?? :-D

Part of what was done over the weekend was removal of the non-original gun depression limiters from the turret. I have seen these on a few DOE V100s, along with those ears on the side of the turret, but not military V's.
While I will keep the ears for mounting something, I don't like the limiters. If I have any problems with depressed guns using the original equipment limiter, I'll shove some prozac down the barrels...

They were well made, and neatly tack welded onto the turret, so taking a grinder to the beads and removing them without any real damage to them or the turret was fairly simple. I'll put them aside in case they are ever needed (I don't throw any V parts away!).

Cheers

Attachments

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually, Temple may just be do-able (need a 'fingers crossed, eyes squinched, and hoping real hard' icon here), though I don't want to jinx things saying it will be there for sure. Lets just say I am working on the logistics of getting the M185 and the V up there at the same time!
And I have already bought a big enough high quality tarp to wrap it up like a baby in for the inevitable frog-strangler storm we seem to get there every year.

She will get a couple more topcoats of green over this weekend, then dry for a few days before we put all the hatches back on late next week.
Once that is done, the final painting and drying and she is ready to climb on the trailer and come home with me.

The good thing about taking so long to finish :)roll:) is it gave me a chance to round up some detail bits like an original first aid kit, the proper binocular case for the co-driver seatback, an original .30 feedchute (finally!), etc. so it should be in "in service" setup inside and out when she debuts.
Now, I may be sitting inside at the show installing this stuff, but... :)

Cheers

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ta da!! No more red primer (or grey primer either..:p).
Three coats of green later, we have this.

I had actually got used to seeing it red after 2+ years, it almost looked good that colour.

Cheers

Attachments

jeep-Jeep

looks great .
and I thought I put too much work into my m38 .
Its got nothing on your project .
Can not wait to see what you do when some airshow spectator puts a funnel cake or greesy frys down on it to eat it thinking he is entitled since he pays taxes.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are a few more pictures. All the hatches had to come off for painting because they are exterior colour inside and out, so its easier to paint them hanging up, and because you get a cleaner shot at all the mounting bits without the hardware in the way. The hatches were actually all painted and moved out of the paint booth before the hull got sprayed.
There are a surprising number of bits when you take the hatches all apart..:shock:

Anyone who thinks they can climb unbidden on this vehicle at a show is in for a rude surprise!

And I like your M38, jeepJeep!

Cheers

Pic 1 is the radiator intake without the pagoda, still in primer. The rest are hatches and latches and gunports and springs and ...

Attachments

Barrman

I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to pick on Rory anymore. At least, if it does leak. Does it for sure have DOT5 or BFS in it instead of DOT3?

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to pick on Rory anymore. At least, if it does leak. Does it for sure have DOT5 or BFS in it instead of DOT3?
Very considerate of you...:wink:

Actually, I'm sure it leaked all over the hatches before they were moved, but I am not worried because the M151 currently has Dot-0 in the brake system! :lol:
That one is not mine, unfortunately.

Cheers

Edit- just to clarify the Dot-0 comment, since it was apparently confusing to some. The M151 has almost no brake parts attached, thus zero brake fluid (or any other fluid) aboard.
The leaf looking things on the right side of that photo are the firing port covers (inner and outer), waiting to be painted.

Last edited:

baseballump

8)[thumbzup] I was with the 630th, MP co Convoy Plt. Cam Rahn Bay, Vietnam in 1970 and 71 and the hatchs leaked then. Also, a lot of the stuff you are putting in we didn't have becasue it was found not to be needed. But, it is great to see another one of the fine old ladies being saved by some one who is doing it right.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
8)[thumbzup] I was with the 630th, MP co Convoy Plt. Cam Rahn Bay, Vietnam in 1970 and 71 and the hatchs leaked then. Also, a lot of the stuff you are putting in we didn't have because it was found not to be needed.
Ahh! A man with first-hand experience! Thank you.

Okay, you can't say something like that and not elaborate. Details please! ;-)

Any other information on your experiences would be much appreciated too. We have lots of period pictures, but very little in the way of human history on the V100s.

Cheers

baseballump

Rory By 70-71 the Vs had been put throw a lot. With crew changing and most guys not knowing how to take care of them. All of our training was OJT with guys place you were taking. We could do all three jobs drive- radio orp., m73 gunner, rear hatch m60 gunner plus we took care of our Vs our selfs. The seals had wore out due to wheather and uses. When it rained it ran into the Vs. Most of the stuff on the inside was what we needed ammo, sleeping bags and extra weapons. The M73 were not trust worthey. If you want to see some Vs go to Military Police of Vietnam web page they have some on there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks