• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New V-100

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Still looking for that pic B3.3T. I have collected huge numbers of pictures over the years, but didn't divide them up into folders until recently. That one is still amongst my "jumble filing". Some are on disks, and my sadistic swine of a computer tells me I currently don't HAVE a disk drive, which I do...

And on the topic of pictures, I wasn't into photography during my Marine days since it was an expensive hobby back then (ohh, that makes me sound old!), thus have very few pictures. Most of what I have other people took and gave me, and I have lost many of those over the years. So, none of me with the M2. I do have pictures of a skinny kid grenadier with an M203, and an M60 gunner in Norway a year or so later. This was before I went to the Air Wing.

Digital cameras are a splendid invention, I take loads of pictures now and just dump the ones I don't want. Wish we had 'em back then.

The side/rear armour on the V is 1/4".

I dug about and find the DShK weighs in at 74#, a heavy gun. Having been on the wrong end of those a couple of times, they are very intimidating!

Cheers

Edit - Added a picture of what my 'office' in the CH-53 looked like. Other than the pilots seat, that right front door was my favorite spot. For those who don't know, helo aircraft commanders seat is the right one, therefore during most serious maneuvering near the ground turns are made to the right. The guy in the left door usually gets left looking up at clouds and doesn't get to shoot.
Used to like hanging out on the ramp too. What a great job!

Attachments

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While working the air out of the hydraulic system, the steering got harder and harder to operate. Turned out that the power steering proportioning valve was hooked up in reverse, so when the mechanical steering was turning the wheels left, the power was trying to steer to the right! Doh!! Once that was reversed, the steering works as it should. In my defense, those parts were all installed and painted up pretty when I got the thing. And since everything lines up nicely the wrong way up, it would have been an easy mistake to make.
Since the V100 was not considered a truly standard vehicle when introduced, proper military TMs were never written. The limited manuals available for the V100 are quite inadequate, and are abyssmal compared to the detailed TMs we have for most of our MVs. Makes life difficult.

With the steering worked out, and the drivers seat installed, we moved the V back and forth a couple of feet in the shop under its own power. Very exciting! Then a loud pop from the shifter and it wouldn't change gears anymore. Turns out the shifter yoke had failed (you may now imagine your own expletives here, I will not enumerate those used since this is a family site).
Where does one get a new shifter yoke for a V100? Well, one doesn't. So the old one was welded and machined back to what it should be, reinstalled it now works fine and should be stronger than the original part. While putting this back together we noticed that one ear of the shifter plate had cracked, so it was welded up too.

Meanwhile I had taken the turret traverse lock out to allow another SS member to copy it for his V100 restoration. While reinstalling that bit, I noticed that the turret lock points were indexed at 11-2-5-8 (clock positions). Don't know why that hadn't clicked with me before, but the end result was having to unbolt and lift the turret and ring, then rotate it one bolt hole to the right. Now the lock points are at 12-3-6-9 like they should be. Fortunately, the turret basket etc. have yet to be installed, and the retaining bolts were still in primer, so there wasn't much to that job other than the weight involved (1150#). Again, that part was already on there when I bought it!

Someone had asked for a shot of the transfer case, so that is attached here. (Aaaagh, this thing is getting so dirty inside!).

And to think I had originally thought I could get this project finished in 3-4 months. Hah! It's getting there though. I had wanted it ready for Veterans Day, and it will be, just 2009 instead of 2008.

Cheers

Attachments

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
.50 cal damage

Okay B3.3T, I finally found the pictures of the damaged V150 in the murky depths of my photo files (at least I think these are the ones I had in mind, I remembered them somewhat differently).

They are not the best quality, but good enough to show what looks like a .50 penetration from about the 1 o'clock position (relative to the V) and near enough to 90* to go straight through.

Don't know if the missing passenger side hatch went in the same fight, looks like the headlights on that side took a hit too.

Cheers

Attachments

Last edited:

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
Looks like there is another headhunter out there. In interesting study on how short guys have at least one DNA advantage.

p.s. Troop D, 1 Sqadron - 9th Cav Regiment, First Calvalry Division (aka The Headhunters) had at least 3 V-100's

also

The 1st Squadron, 9th Cavalry Regiment (1-9 Cav), is stationed at Fort Hood, Texas, as an Armored Reconnaissance Squadron (ARS), of the 4th Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division. Originally part of the 3rd Brigade at Fort Hood, the "1st of the 9th" moved to Fort Bliss to fill the RSTA (Reconnaissance, Surveillance, and Target Acquisition) needs of the newly created 4th BCT in October 2005.[2] The unit is nicknamed the "Headhunters"; it was estimated to have been responsible for 50% of the enemy kills of the entire 1st Cavalry Division during the Vietnam War [1] For their reputation, the unit was featured as the command of Col. Kilgore in the movie Apocalypse Now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9th_Cavalry_Regiment

Last edited:

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The V100 is possibly the sexiest older wheeled armor around. I prefer it with the flat top.. The cost puts me in the looking area instead of the owning area. There is a Czech 8x8 that's hot too. long and low and mean looking. Probably slow as a pig.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Personally, I think the V is the sexiest wheeled armour ever!
But that is just me..:-D

There is a Czech 8x8 that's hot too. long and low and mean looking. Probably slow as a pig.
This one Patrick? The OT-64 SKOT.

Speed is listed as 58mph, but I don't know how long it takes to get there. It may be like my Mog which will do 60mph... eventually... if you are patient... and the road is flat.... and no headwind....

Hardride, I looked at that site, thanks. It is probably where I got those pictures from originally.

Cheers

Attachments

Last edited:

B3.3T

Ever seen an OT-64 in the real? Nothing low about it. Its a big machine. As for it being a bargain; after purchase, shipping to US, service, and 3 mpg, I'm not so sure. And when you have to have any parts shipped from Cz, if you can find them, whoa. Without a war history, it will not appreciate like any US armor, either. There are a lot of considerations to the cost of a vehicle besides the initial purchase.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As of last week, I can actually say that I have seen a SKOT in person, while I was in Ireland. Couldn't get too near since it was behind a tall fence with lots of razor wire, privately owned and looked pretty grubby. They are indeed BIG. My cousin knows the guy who owns it and several other MVs, he is a member of the Irish equivelent of the MVPA. She is going to arrange a meeting for me next time I am over there.
And no, once again no camera with me at the time, so no pictures. I missed photos of SEVERAL nice active MVs while I was there too, either couldn't get the camera turned on in time or in wrong place.... :evil:

I'm beginning to think that the V100 is the only "reasonably easy" armoured vehicle to maintain. Cad-Gage sure had some good smart folks designing that one.
Now that I am no longer galavanting about on the other side of the ocean, maybe I can get back to mine. I hear the paint booth calling....

Cheers

B3.3T

I think you are right, Rory. Having owned 18 armored vehicles and working with tens more, it is certainly one of my favorite thing about the V-100. Not only is it hugely simple by armor standards, there is room to spare for everything. It is not all crammed into every corner.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry Hardride, no info for you there.

The only thing it is missing is the winch.
I may be able to help you there Rory! 8)
I finally had time to make the trip, so the g/f and I drove out to Georgia to visit Wgtactical and pick up the V100 winch last week. Now my V has all its major components!
The winch is complete including the cable, chain leader and hook, controls, and PTO.

What a pleasure to meet Gerald and his family, super nice folks. Spent a day and a half out there, enjoyed every minute of it. Gerald was very generous with his time, and in addition to the winch, gave me a bunch of other V parts.
He has big plans for his V, and having seen what he can do with an M114 :)drool:) I am really looking forward to seeing it finished.

Gerald, you are the finest kind of gentleman.

Cheers

(Now to get that winch cleaned up and stuffed into its hatch)

Attachments

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, the front of the winch hatch has an opening with a fixed rub bar on each side, and rollers top and bottom. The winch hatch access cover is the grey one on top of the nose in the attached pics.
The interior shot of the hatch is fuzzy, but shows what it needs to. You can see the ledges that the winch frame bolts to also. In the back corner (where the interior colour blew through that tape) is a hole where the hydraulic motor extends into the vehicle interior. It seals with a rubber ring while swimming (you would hope!).

Cheers

Attachments

Rickv100

Hardride,

Give me a week and I will see if I have a number in my records.

Do you need shocks for a V150 or V150ST?

Rick

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks