• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New V-100

baseballump

Rory Hi Fingures crossed Danny will be fine. And, about the odd letters home never thought about it before. As I get older it seems to make sense why they said I didn't write home more.
Again Hi to everyone Thanks and stay cool Louie

B3.3T

A V-100s value depends upon the model, condition, paperwork- is it titled and legally owned?- and how complete and original it is. We would need to see detailed photos.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My boy Davey on the left of pic one. Although he probably looks like a grown up Marine to others, he still looks like my little boy to me.

On the second picture the comment is - "You have to admire the shooting, though a man could take this kinda personal".

All I can say is I ask blessings upon whoever did good quality control when they made that particular piece of glass.

Cheers

Attachments

rossM4

I just read this thread and i am in awe of the work you have done to this piece of history. Good looking truck!!! Also, thank you for your service and thank your son for me also. I never served but i do have friends that have served and are currently serving. God bless our troops past, present, and future. Keep up the great work on that monster. :smile:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Holy Moley! Is that the window in his truck?
Yep, drivers door. Stationary when some locals took offense to their presence. Lets hear it for armoured glass!

He is so nonchalant about it, but that picture made my hair stand on end. :shock:

Cheers

PS- shooting at Marines who are in armoured vehicles and have .50cal's is a life shortening experience.

I added a cropped pic of one of their unit's trucks that shows what the doors look like. Note how they carry the tow bar!

He has given a go to my making a separate thread for his photos, all cleared for posting, so I will do that soon and put a link here.

Attachments

Last edited:

baseballump

Rory Hi never a good idea to fire on armoured vehicles that will lightup the area that the shots came from. The tow bar up front quick grab and go and to catch any lines across the road???
Also, keep in mind how you were when you were young.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had to send a message to my boy through the Red Cross to let him know his grandpa died last week.
I have nothing but good things to say about their messaging system (and particularly Nancy in San Diego, who helped me). They delivered the message to the Marines within an hour, and my boy was notified within 6 hours.

The Marines were great too. His Command called with condolences and advised that if possible they would have him call home. He was in the field in BFA, but sure enough they ran a sat-phone out there and both his mother and I got to talk to him. First time I have heard his voice since he deployed.

The Marines offered to send him home, but since he couldn't get here in time for the funeral, Davey wanted to stay and finish his tour with his team.

FYI, grandpa (on mom's side) was a Navy veteran, joined up in Sept 1941 before the war. He flew PBY's, mostly in the Aleutians, until 1945. The Squids (said with affection from an old Marine) who did the flag ceremony at his funeral were wonderful, very sharp in appearance and performance, the live taps bugler was flawless.

RIP Joe, you earned it.

Cheers

Danger Ranger

I am sorry to hear of your loss. Yet I am glad to hear you got to speak with your boy. It is good to know he was informed of the news.

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rory,

Sorry about your FIL but thankful for other things. The first post I read was from Danger Ranger about talking to David and I thought the worst. Prayers out for the entire family.

MC

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry for the scare MC. I am indeed thankful for what I do have.
And good news, Davey sent a message, they are leaving that country a bit earlier than expected, looks like I will be headed to California in the near future for his Homecoming. I will be able to relax for the first time since he left! :p

I finally found a decent trailer to haul the V around on, an M270A1. It is a 1968, but has been through a fairly recent depot rebuild.
With the boom in oilfield work going on in Texas at the moment, anything that will haul equipment is in use, so it has been hard to find a suitable trailer. I've looked at a couple, but couldn't figure out where the gold bricks they must have had in them were hidden.
There are any number of them in other parts of the country, but getting them here makes the cost prohibitive, so...

While the M270 is not the perfect trailer for my needs, it is a good one, and I will use it until I find exactly what I want at a price I am willing to pay.
The 40' deck and ample weight capacity allow me to load two vehicles at once, say the V and the Unimog, for transport to a show.

I am adding steel plates to the wooden decking to spread the V's load footprint. At 15k pounds, there is a lot of weight concentrated on four wheels.

My younger son helped with the recovery. He is off to the Marines himself in January.

Cheers

Pics 1-3: the M270A1/M931A2 combo
Pic 4: I am looking for one similar to this

Attachments

baseballump

Rory Good looking trailer and are you building ramps to get the V up and down off of the trailer?? Also, what are you going to pull it with?? So son number 2 ( I will not use his name unless its OK with you) got his date. Two boys in at the same time, that will Drive you nuts.
Remember take pictures when you see Davey. Have a great time with him. Louie

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Louie.
Yes on ramps. I am looking into having some made by a local company (I always try to do business with someone local first), otherwise I will go with some commercial ramps I found on the net. Aluminium, so easy to handle, something like 60# per section.
I am also cutting a loading dock into a slope at the farm. That will make on/off there a breeze. Needed one anyway.

I'll pull it with the M931 tractor in the pictures, that is mine too. The first two pictures were taken on Fort Hood during the recovery a couple of weeks ago (murky day). Third one is at the farm.

Yep, Paddy got his date, and his MOS, helo crewman. He maxed his ASVAB scores, so the guaranteed him a job.

I'll pass on your regards, and the other fellers', to Davey. Sure will be glad to have him home. And yes, two in at one time will add to my anxiety levels, but I'll deal with it!. :smile:

Cheers

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, today was a good day. I was on Camp Pendleton to welcome my boy home safe from Afghanistan. I can breath easy for the first time in 10 months.

Guess who got the Battalion Commanders Award for Excellence for his unit? :)

Cheers

Pic 1- my daughter, son's girlfriend, #1 son, #2 son.

Attachments

Last edited:

baseballump

Rory Hi. Glad that yous had a good time and that Oldest Son made it home. I will say say this it is a good looking group of kids.
Glad to see the boys are a chip off the old block. Like father like son.
It is great that he won the CO award.
Tell everyone we said HI.
Louie

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks