• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New V-100

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, I think it is great that Dave knows her exact identity and has many pictures of her in her prime. He was VERY exacting in reproducing the markings precisely as and where they should be.

I do wish I knew my V's Army identity, but have not, as of yet, found that out. I have pictures with 720th MP V's and can say "well maybe that's her, or that one.." but it would be really cool to be able to say for certain "That's it!".

At the show, I met two veterans who crewed V100s in Vietnam. It was a pleasure to meet and talk to them. Pawnshop came up with the idea of having a guest type book in the V for veteran crewmen to sign when we encounter them. I am going to do that. I'll have to ship it to Louie, Vann, and the rest of his crew to sign. Or better yet, get them to all come back and visit again!

Cheers

(My 1657th post. Ha! That was my badge number for 28 years).

Last edited:

ParaShootist

Man, What a read! I learned a lot about a lot more than this BEAUTIFUL V-100. Rory, I’m totally awed. Thanks for turning me onto this thread. The father-in-law used to be a serious motorhead (mostly C1 Corvettes) and he's done more than one frame-off resto, but this is well, . . . simply stunning. Of course, military stuff has always appealed to me a lot more than hot rods. A Commando series vehicle of any flavor is something I’ve of dreamed of over the years. Its awesome that you were able to make yours a reality. More than a little inspiring. Congratulations!!!!

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The question - Can you tow a V100 with an M1009?
The answer - yes! (but very slowly)

This is from back on July 4th of 2012, when I was fueling up the V on the way to the July 4th parade. The V had shed its alternator belt prior to pulling into the fuel station (that shedding problem is since fixed) and wouldn't start again.

I needed to get it away from the gas pumps before I started playing with slave cables, etc. that generate sparks. We had the M185A3 with us, and a tow-bar, but the M185 couldn't make the turn to pull the V100 away from the pumps. Hand pushing the 15000 pound V didn't sound like fun, so M1009 to the rescue!

We did everything very gently and slowly, the 1009 did actually pull it, and I calculate the top speed to have been a searing 1.56mph over the approximately 200 feet we moved everything.

So, instead of going to the parade, we did a "Repairing a V100 in the grocery store parking lot" display, putting in the new belt there rather than towing the V all the way back to the farm. I am amazed at how many people came over to look.

Cheers

Attachments

B3.3T

We've towed with our M710 Pinzgauer lots of times. They roll pretty easy. Stopping is another matter.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep. I just let up on the gas and let it coast to a stop. I would never dream of taking this combo further or faster than I did, but I'm sure there are folks who would try taking it on the road (the "I can get my M105 up to 90mph behind my Mini Cooper with no problem..." crowd).

I'd love to see a picture of the Pinz pulling your V!

Cheers

B3.3T

Now here is a good pull: Smart car with a Sherman Easy-Eight

Actually we pushed with the Pinzgauer but it works great. The front hitch on a Pinz is real handy. Now the Smart car, who would have thought?:tank:

Attachments

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whilst talking of towing things - I had a static display to do with the V100 at a local military base about 35 miles from the farm. On starting up the V, I found the brakes mushy. They worked, but not well, wouldn't lock the tires even at low speed on gravel (diagnosed as failure of the brake booster).

No way it was going on the road that way, at any speed, and not enough time to repair it, so M931 to the rescue!
The lowboy trailer is being re-decked and couldn't be used, so I clamped my tow lights to the back of the V and flat towed it to the show. No issues, but it was a slow drive, that is not a highway speed combo. It tows beautifully, but that's a lot of unbraked weight.
At the display, it was next to Quonsethut's gun truck.

Meanwhile, older son Davey is home on terminal leave from the Marines. With two combat tours to his credit, his military career is coming to an end and he is rejoining the civilian world. He will have his first Thanksgiving with the family in four years!

Younger son Patrick is currently deployed with his V-22 squadron in "the African theater of operations", so he will not be with us this year.

Cheers

Attachments

Last edited:

baseballump

Rory Was just thinking about you and the boys Glad to hear all are OK. The V has a mind of its own when it comes to some things and trying to keep a almost 50yr. old veh. on the road is a hard job even when putting new parts on it. The new parts work the old ones they are working with don't.
And I know you take safety , As job one , Hope Patrick is doing well and hope to meet Davey some time before to long. Have a great Thanksgiving
Travel Safe Louie

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Louie.

The brake booster, fortunately, was available from NAPA (though not cheap!). The previous one was new when I put it in, but it sat for a couple of years during the restoration, and vehicles don't like sitting.
I'll rebuild it and put it away in case I need another later. I also find that keeping an expensive extra part on hand virtually guarantees that the one currently in use will never fail! :)

Same story with the brake lines, new a few years ago, but all getting replaced anyway. We noticed while testing the brakes that one line would swell just a tad under pressure.

I feel a duty to preserve the V in the best shape possible. I am just it's current steward, maintaining it for future generations.

A very happy Thanksgiving to you and yours, my friend.

Cheers

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could always just use a M37 in front as a chock block :) Although I am not volunteering for the job.

(PS bet you can't identify my avatar)

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I tried that once. Wasn't a good option really. I mean it worked, but.... ;)

No on the avatar, I thought I did, but now I don't.

Cheers

Another Ahab

You could always just use a M37 in front as a chock block :) Although I am not volunteering for the job.

(PS bet you can't identify my avatar)
Drifting; my favorite hobby!

Let's see:

- Not a tree in sight: so likely in Texas.

- Clearly not the Alamo.

- The Commanche were mighty powerful once in Texas (took the Texans a LONG time to rub them out).

My guess is something related to mixing it up with The Commanche. Warm?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks