• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Virginia Member

dangier

Hello to all. New member here from Page County, VA. If all goes well, I will pick up two 002A's on Wednesday in New Castle, DE. Have read most all posts and am eager to get started.
Have some experience on diesels (Dodge 5.9, and Kubotas). First with the MEP's.
Regards to all,
David :)

dangier

Well, I picked up the two 002a's up today. After the 10 hour round trip, didn't have much time to check them out. What I did notice is that they seem to be in decent condition. Mostly rust and faded paint from exposure. They are marked as reserve units. Opened electrical panels and inside everything is clean and seems not to have been messed with. Did find goopy fuel in the pumps, filter and tank. Tanks were almost full. With the fuel mess, I guess I will not take a chance and pull the ip pumps to try and clean them as soon as I can. These units also came with batteries.

I will update as I go. Did meet another member at New Castle (Gene?), thanks for the offer of help.
David

dangier

Today's work: As my two 002a's came as a light plant, they were both mounted on a M103-A3 trailer. Getting them off was fun... I won't go into detail.:) Did find the Army log books and they were last inspected in 1986. I am guessing that the hour meters showing 8 and 9 hours could possibly be correct. The knobs on the control panels have a shadow under them as they have set in one spot for a long time. Rest of panel is faded. The air filters show little use, oil is clean looking (I am going to change it anyway), fuel pumps and filters only have the old fuel gunk-no water or visible dirt. Inside of crankcase looks in new condition. The first fuel ip I pulled of is stuck (as I expected), so it is soaking in MMM. Tried to turn by hand and no go. Fuel shutoff is moving, but does not feel like it is doing anything. All fuel hoses are shot (dry rotted). Looking at replacements and tried removing an end and was able to get one apart. Don't know if the effort is worth it. Engine does turn over by hand ok.

Anyone aware of the value of the M103-A3 trailer? I do not have a use for it and plan to sell it. Tires are 9.00-20 and look new as they still have the mold marks in the tread.

David

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks